Tru Calling - 10/30

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Tru Calling - 10/30

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-03, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by WillieTheShakes
I don't think anyone is criticizing the premise... It's actually the only thing about the show that didn't suck. Writing sucked. Direction sucked. Editing/style sucked. Acting sucked (and yes, I'm including Eliza in that). Premise... was fine. I really liked it a couple of seasons ago on Early Edition...
I was particularly looking forward to the Early Edition-like premise. I agree the show didn't exactly deliver on it.

It seems it's going for a tone not as light as EE and I'm willing to give it a chance.
Old 10-31-03, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by spainlinx0
I also was really surprised to see a midshow summary. That was just really strange.
Remember Smallville did this last year (although not as detailed) but they have dropped it.

I suspect they are going for people who watch Friends but don't stick around for Scrubs.
Old 10-31-03, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 617 Likes on 496 Posts
TNT does the mid-show summaries for their Law & Order airings now.
Old 10-31-03, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by movielib
Remember Smallville did this last year (although not as detailed) but they have dropped it.

I suspect they are going for people who watch Friends but don't stick around for Scrubs.
Gilmore Girls also did that briefly, but it was more of a narrated, 30-second thing. Then again, the WB execs were smart enough to move it away from the 8PM Thursdays spot, and there was no need.

The problem was that NBC did that whole super-size thing, so unless you wanted to miss the end of "Friends", there was no point in switching over, since you had to stick around 10 more minutes, then Will & Grace came on.
Old 10-31-03, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I really enjoyed the first ep last night maybe cuz i too didnt have high expectations and wouldnt have tuned in if it wasnt for Eliza being in it but i can atleast say i will tune in again next week
Old 10-31-03, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by freedexter
Gilmore Girls also did that briefly, but it was more of a narrated, 30-second thing. Then again, the WB execs were smart enough to move it away from the 8PM Thursdays spot, and there was no need.

The problem was that NBC did that whole super-size thing, so unless you wanted to miss the end of "Friends", there was no point in switching over, since you had to stick around 10 more minutes, then Will & Grace came on.
Yes, that was last night but I assume it's a season long strategy.

If it lasts a season.
Old 10-31-03, 06:31 PM

Originally posted by Red Dog
I love how people are complaining about this show. Were people going in expecting an Emmy-award winning drama? Did people not know the premise of the show going in?

I also have a feeling that a lot of people would be dissapointed with any series that Eliza is in except for one where she a played a specific character that they already know and love.

Quite honestly, I was expecting a below average to average show. It didn't even deliver on that. Not even close.

As to me expecting Eliza to be something, I never watched Buffy. Though I have to admit, I do love her.
Old 10-31-03, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I guess I'm in the minority, too, because I didn't think it was that bad. I didn't go in w/ high expectations and I really wasn't disappointed. As long as they switch it up once in while it might be alright.

I thoroughly enjoyed Eliza's re-interpretation of Run Lola Run. It was very sexy.

Me likes the girl who plays her friend, Lindsey, too. Very nice. Now where have I seen her before?

And Zack Galifinakis (sp?) was perfect.
Old 10-31-03, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the pilot show. Will tune in by using my VCR to record it since it's in same time slot as Survivor.
Old 10-31-03, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it would have been better if Eliza started a prostitution ring out of the morgue, a la Night Shift.

It would have also been a sly-shout-out if the radio that woke her up the next morning had been playing "I Got You, Babe."

I thought the strangest thing about the mid-show "re-cap" was that it ocurred 26 minutes into the show. Usually these occur around the 30-34 minute mark when the WB did it. It gave it a sort of "Remember 5 minutes ago?" vibe.

In the beginning, when the morgue guy was explaining the job to her and mentioned how "We don't solve the crimes", I almost expected him to say "That's another show."

I had read this thread before I watched it so my expectations were extremely low. I can't say I liked the show, although I am interested to watch next week just to see what they do with it. They hopefully can't have her save her siblings as a B and C story every week.
Old 10-31-03, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
This show was ok. There was a lot of background/who's who that needed to be established, which cut into the time for the main story line of the week. Hopefully, the family side stories were just to introduce them and get some info on who they are. I don't think having her save their asses every week along with the dead person is a good idea. I mean having the ability to replay days and talk to dead people, and save their lives is fine, but when you throw in saving the family it just becomes ridiculous.

I'll tune into see what they do with the full hour next week.
Old 11-01-03, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
While the show sucks hard, it will be bad for Eliza as Fox will axe the show before it has a chance to improve and the blame will be placed squarely on her shoulders.
Old 11-01-03, 02:28 PM

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
While the show sucks hard, it will be bad for Eliza as Fox will axe the show before it has a chance to improve and the blame will be placed squarely on her shoulders.
Oh, I doubt that. Everything I've read here and elsewhere (I didn't see the show) says the writing and the editing were really bad. The few comments I've seen specifically on the acting were to the effect that the performances were pretty good.

Don't think Eliza will be blamed if this tanks. After all, she's the big reason why the show is getting this much attention in the first place.
Old 11-01-03, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay first episode. Way too much running.
Old 11-01-03, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by B.A.hist

Me likes the girl who plays her friend, Lindsey, too. Very nice. Now where have I seen her before?

Final destination 2 (the main character Kimberly)
Old 11-02-03, 07:49 PM

I watched it on tape and liked it, although I rewound a couple times to figure out what was going on. I would watch Eliza if she ran during the whole show, as long as she changed outfits a few times and took a shower at the end. The sister was on the soap Loving 10 years ago and was quite the chubby-cheeked bombshell. Here's hoping she gets strung out and has to strip for a living so Tru can "save" her.
Can't see how they can keep plots going every week but I''ll hang in there for a while as long as Jorg Buttgereit is never a guest director.
Old 11-02-03, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
It was like Forrest Gump part 2.
Old 11-02-03, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I knew this show was going to suck and it did. I'll watch the next episode to see if there's anything worth seeing, but if it sucks like I think it will, I'm done. (Nice attitude, huh?)

Old 11-02-03, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wow, I guess I go against the grain on this one. I was sure it was going to suck and wasn't even going to watch it, but a commercial for it came on earlier Thursday night and decided on a whim to tape it while I was out. Finally got around to watching it tonight and I loved everything about it. I liked the style, I liked the midshow summary, I liked the storyline and I loved the fact she was running everywhere while they flashed images from the show on the screen. Nice stylistic touch in my mind.

I have a feeling since I really enjoyed this show that it will die because no show I ever like ever makes it for more than a couple years at most. I love Eliza even though I could never stand the Faith character from Buffy. So I hope this works out for her.

One of my favorite new shows this season has been Karen Sisco and I have invested like four or five hours so far watching that every week. Although I enjoy that show, I had a much better time and was almost more entertained watching Tru Calling. Glad I gave it a shot and I will be tuning in next week.....although I may be one of the few to do so.

Last edited by badger1997; 11-02-03 at 11:59 PM.
Old 11-03-03, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Guess i'm a part of the majority.

Eliza was one of the main reasons I started watching Buffy. [Buffy fans, please save your venom. It's a SMG issue from her stint on AMC I have problems with...]

I wanted to like this show. I really did. I just couldn't. I had no expectations either. Actually, that's a lie. I did expect ONE THING..

Running. And LOTS of it. [I peeked at someone who caught the pilot off the 'net's synopsis].

So I knew there'd be a lot of running. This was confimed when my girlfriend [who wasn't aware of this fact] pointed out "She sure does a lot of running, doesn't she? Glad to see Mr. "Serillian Blue" foreshadowed with that track star comment..." I hated the MTV-style running montages. Ridiculous. The half hour cliff note summary didn't bother me. I guess I was used to it [and realized why they did it] after Smallville.

Another thing that bothered me was her mother's funeral at the beginning. For some reason, the line her sister delivers which sums up the story up to that point just bugs me [her mother being killed right in front of Tru]. Oh, and how convenient that Tru points out he was never caught. More fantastic foreshadowing?

Better wrap that plot thread up before ep 4 guys. I don't think it'll even get that far...

But I will give a hearty to the very first running montage [the one with the push up bra]. Nice job Mr. Cameraman!
Old 11-03-03, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Rogue588
But I will give a hearty to the very first running montage [the one with the push up bra]. Nice job Mr. Cameraman!
I'll see your and raise you an .

Old 11-03-03, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally got to watch it over the weekend: M'eh.

Too much running and too many montages. But, I'll give it a few more weeks.

Just as Jadzia said: what's up with showing a recap at the 26 minute mark??
Old 11-03-03, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I finally got around to watching this pilot this past weekend, and through the entire episode, I kept thinking to myself:

"Run Tru Run!"

While they established that Tru has these strange premonitions, they didn't do a good job explaining the hero complex she has, which would make her go running all over the city. The running part felt too forced. The rest of the plot felt like a mish-mash of ideas where the whole was less then the sum of the parts (so far).

I don't see a bright future for the show, but maybe the next few episodes will prove me wrong.

It was nice to see Hudson Leick on TV again, though. But, it was weird to see Hudson in such a role after seeing how strong she was in Xena as Callisto. I guess they call it casting against type.

And then to have Jonathan Haymes Newton show up as sort of a jealous ex-boyfriend. Newton played Superboy in the late 1980's. It's like this show the refuge of actors from the action/fantasy TV genre...

Last edited by Patman; 11-03-03 at 08:24 AM.