TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

ABC Picks Up Six of Seven Shows, Wants More 'Sisco' Scripts

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-03, 08:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ABC Picks Up Six of Seven Shows, Wants More 'Sisco' Scripts

http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_main/1,1002,271|84363|1|,00.html

(Thursday, October 30 03:04 PM)

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - As it did last year, ABC has picked up all four of its new sitcoms for a full season. The network has also ordered more episodes of two new dramas, something that didn't happen last fall.

Freshman sitcoms "I'm with Her," "Hope & Faith," "It's All Relative" and "Married to the Kellys," along with dramas "10-8" and "Threat Matrix," earned their back nine episodes on the strength of retaining their lead-in audience or improving their time periods over what was there last season.

"We're immensely proud to have successfully launched 10 new comedies in just two and a half seasons," ABC Entertainment president Susan Lyne says. (That may be stretching the math a little, as "My Wife and Kids" premiered in spring 2001.)

Of the two dramas, Lyne says they're "performing for us in very competitive time periods. The shows are growing creatively, and we have confidence that they will build audience as they are sampled by more viewers."
The only new series missing from the pickup list is "Karen Sisco," which has earned the most critical praise of any new ABC show but has a tough time retaining its lead-in audience from "The Bachelor." It's averaging just over 8 million viewers a week at 10 p.m. ET Wednesdays, about a third less than the 12.2 million who watch "The Bachelor."

A network source tells Zap2it.com that ABC has ordered four additional "Sisco" scripts, which is often a good sign for a show. The series is also staying on the air for most of November sweeps.

Of the shows that were picked up, "I'm with Her" has thus far fared the best in the ratings, drawing close to 11 million viewers a week. "It's All Relative" and "Hope & Faith" are in the neighborhood of 10 million viewers, while "Married to the Kellys" comes in at 7.9 million on Friday nights.

About 8.6 million people are watching cop drama "10-8," which is beating NBC's "American Dreams" in total viewers and proving a more compatible lead-in to "Alias" on Sundays than "The Wonderful World of Disney" was last season.

"Threat Matrix" is the least-watched of the shows that were picked up, drawing about 6.8 million viewers opposite "Survivor: Pearl Islands" and "Friends" on Thursdays. Its numbers are still a vast improvement over the disaster that was "Dinotopia" last season.

Chris
Old 10-30-03, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And once again I applaud ABC for showing faith in their shows. I don't like all of these, but it really seems that they've finally learned their lesson after the game show debacle of the late 90s.

Now they just need to pick up Karen Sisco.

das
Old 10-30-03, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love Karen Sisco....saw I'm with her the other night and I wasn't impressed...huh?
Old 10-30-03, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey

Now they just need to pick up Karen Sisco.

I'm also happy to hear that they picked up 10-8. I've been very impressed w/ it so far and it has a good cast w/ some very funny moments thrown here and there.

to more Teri Polo.
Old 10-30-03, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

10-8's probably my biggest personal surprise of the season. The promos made it look incredibly stupid, but it's actually quite good.

das
Old 10-31-03, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wtf 10-8. That first episode was laughably bad. Did it get better? I figured that would be the first show of the season to get canned. Threat Matrix I quit watching too. In fact, out of the 7 shows they mention, the only one I still watch is the 1 show they haven't officially picked up - Karen Sisco.
Old 10-31-03, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good to see Threat Matrix is getting new shows. I'm starting to like it a lot.
Old 10-31-03, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally posted by Jeraden
In fact, out of the 7 shows they mention, the only one I still watch is the 1 show they haven't officially picked up - Karen Sisco.
Me too. Karen Sisco is one of the few new shows to maintain it's season pass. I think the show is excellent, although I can see why it doesn't work for the Bachelor crowd.

I don't understand this "retaining" the audience thing. How do they have any idea how many Karen Sisco viewers are also Bachelor viewers? I suppose Nielson could be gathering that data, but you never see articles say "out of the 6 million viewers, 3.5 also watched ___"
Old 10-31-03, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
If 10-8 is beating American Dreams, that concerns me.

Any word on Dragnet? It is on its own little island in that timeslot. I'm concerned because NBC is trying to siphon off potential viewers by airing L&O SVU opposite it. Dragnet has been quite good so far this season.
Old 10-31-03, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, I agree The Bachelor is not the right lead-in for Karen Sisco.

I still think that ABC should have sceduled Karen Sisco after Alias. That would have been a great one-two punch and I can just see the promos now. Plus, Alias doesn't do all that great on Sunday nights-- Maybe it would do better on another night. Leave The Practice on Sunday and show Alias & Karen Sisco on another weekday night together.
Old 10-31-03, 09:14 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Glad to hear about 10-8 and Karen Sisco.
Old 11-01-03, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Great to see ABC showing faith. Speaking of which, I keep on forgetting about Hope & Faith, even though I am a huge Kelly Ripa fan (she is hosting SNL tonight). I'm With Her and Karen Sisco are on my watch list as well...
Old 11-01-03, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just hope they will eventually want more than those 4 ...Karen Sisco is probably the best new series this season...aside from the great scripts, characters, and great combination of drama and comedy, nothing beats being able to stare at Carla Gugino for an hour .

Still though, after seeing some of my other favorites either get cancelled (The Brotherhood...) or put on hiatus (The Lyons Den), Im still a bit antsy until I hear word that ABC has picked the show up for the entire season.
Old 11-01-03, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: ABC Picks Up Six of Seven Shows, Wants More 'Sisco' Scripts

Originally posted by mrpayroll
Freshman sitcoms "Hope & Faith", "Married to the Kellys," along with drama "10-8".

Chris
Yay! I love all three of these shows.
Old 11-02-03, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gideon's Crossing
Philly
Miracles

I have a bad feeling that Karen Sisco will join them on ABC's killed-before-their-time roster.
Old 11-02-03, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

PLEASE let them pick up Karen Sisco.
Old 11-02-03, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Buck Turgidson
Gideon's Crossing
Philly
Miracles

I have a bad feeling that Karen Sisco will join them on ABC's killed-before-their-time roster.
You forgot Once & Again.

I am still bitter at ABC for how they treated that show.
Old 11-02-03, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey
10-8's probably my biggest personal surprise of the season. The promos made it look incredibly stupid, but it's actually quite good.

das
I appreciate 10-8 because it's a solid cop-drama without all the "dark drama" so many cop shows try today. As heavy as Alias is (after it), it's nice to have a lighter lead-in to that hour.
Old 11-03-03, 12:45 AM

Originally posted by JuryDuty
I appreciate 10-8 because it's a solid cop-drama without all the "dark drama" so many cop shows try today. As heavy as Alias is (after it), it's nice to have a lighter lead-in to that hour.
Though did you see tonights episode? That first 5 minutes where that psycho PCP guy attacks Rico was pretty intense and very well choreographed.

Chris

Last edited by mrpayroll; 11-03-03 at 08:23 AM.
Old 11-03-03, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by mrpayroll
Though did you see tonights episode? That first 5 minutes where that psycho PCP guy attacks Rico was pretty intense and very well choregraphed.

Chris
That was a great intro into last night's show.
Old 11-03-03, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I am glad to see 10-8 was picked up for the rest of the season. When I first started seeing ads for this show during the summer I had no intentions of watching it but since it aired before Ailias and I was already taping it, I decided to tape 10-8 as well. I am glad I did, this show is my biggest surprise of the season. I thought it was going to be Joan of Arcadia but 10-8 is my favorite new show of this season.