Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Shield CENSORED!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-03, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Shield CENSORED!!!

I just finished watching the DVD-R from Tuesday's broadcast of The Shield and I'm f//king appalled!

First the quality was s//t, it looked like low grade VHS. And second it was f//king censored! The first scene after the credits is where I really noticed it... The one where Dutch is standing over the naked corpse, comenting on her breasts...

They digially placed a streak of sunlight over her breasts and a OVEN-MIT over her lower region... I had to watch it twice to make sure, but yup that's an oven-mit. I also noticed little cuts. Like in the opening chase there was a quick shot of the bag tapped to the black guy's balls, that was lifted out. Also in the last scene, they reframed the shot of "The Rat" getting shot I remember originally after he got shot there was a quick shot from behind of him falling infront of camera and you could see the exit wound, that's gone and couple of swears were changed as well.

I probably wouldn't have noticed if it was a new show but I have the DVD set of Season 1 and I've seen the first episode a s//t load of times. It's just f//king annoying.
Old 10-30-03, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
I don't understand. Are you saying they didn't show a nude woman, a guy's balls, or graphic violence on a broadcast TV show?
Old 10-30-03, 05:07 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It was a DVD-R. Depending on who encoded it, you're going to get poorer quality than the official release.
Old 10-30-03, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like your f//king post was censored too.
Old 10-30-03, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Yet another poster who doesn't know what the word "CENSORED!!!" actually means...
Old 10-30-03, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by SunMonkey
I don't understand. Are you saying they didn't show a nude woman, a guy's balls, or graphic violence on a broadcast TV show?
The only reason I'm saying it is because every previous time it's aired they have shown those scenes the way they originally were. And now they've changed it.

Originally posted by Static Cling
It was a DVD-R. Depending on who encoded it, you're going to get poorer quality than the official release.
It's mine, I have a DVD recorder I use now instead of the VCR. That's how it was broadcasted because the show before and after it were fine.

Originally posted by Sierra Disc
Yet another poster who doesn't know what the word "CENSORED!!!" actually means...
Actually I do know what it means and that's exactly what this is. This isn't like "Greedo Shooting First" where the creator intentionally changed it, and we all piss and moan over it. This is them cutting parts out for the subject matter not their visions...
Old 10-30-03, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out how this is "censorship", unless the FCC threatened FX. But I don't think that happened.
Old 10-30-03, 06:41 PM
Cool New Member

Merriam-Webster :
Main Entry: 2censor
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): cen·sored; cen·sor·ing /'sen(t)-s&-ri[ng], 'sen(t)s-ri[ng]/
Date: 1882
: to examine in order to suppress or delete anything considered objectionable
I don't see the words 'FCC' or 'government' anywhere in the definition or the OP.
Old 10-30-03, 07:58 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally posted by mikewendt
Actually I do know what it means and that's exactly what this is. This isn't like "Greedo Shooting First" where the creator intentionally changed it, and we all piss and moan over it. This is them cutting parts out for the subject matter not their visions...
So you know the show creators didn't intentionally change it (like the Greedo thing)? FX or someone else made them change the episode?
Old 10-30-03, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

so let me get this straight, on the original broadcast (and on the dvd's) we saw the nude woman fully (it looked blurred from tuesdays night's showing) and one or two scene's got trimmed. And the video quality was worse right?
Old 10-30-03, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
meh, nothing that took away from the plot or the story. It's FX, it isnt HBO or anything major where tits can really be seen. happens. oh well
Old 10-30-03, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I don't know that scene with the drug dealer really confused me. I thought it was missing something when they cut real quick. It's good to know that some things had been cut.
Old 10-31-03, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Frankly when I saw season 1 on DVD, I was kind of shocked at the amount of nudity that appeared. I was wondering how FX was able to show it. I mean granted it is a "cable only" channel, but now that the show is popular and in the mainstream focus, wouldn't advertisers potentially be concerned about this content? I certainly thought some of the season 1 episodes would have had a "graphic violence" warning or some such message when aired on TV.

Aside from that, I'm not sure why mikewendt is burning DVD-Rs of a show he already owns on DVD though...
Old 10-31-03, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

they had those messages after every commercial.
Old 10-31-03, 07:21 PM

Originally posted by Static Cling
So you know the show creators didn't intentionally change it (like the Greedo thing)? FX or someone else made them change the episode?
Actually... Yes, because they talk about being able to get away with some much and having very few content restrictions (alowing them to get thier original ideas on screen) on the commentary tracks of Season 1's DVD set.

Originally posted by rfduncan
Aside from that, I'm not sure why mikewendt is burning DVD-Rs of a show he already owns on DVD though...
I use my DVD recorder like I use to use my VCR. I record the shows that I'm not able to watch during the week, so I can see them later. The only reason I recorded The Shield is because I had that time slot programed in from the Nip/Tuck season. After I watch them I reuse the disc (actually they're RW), I don't keep them. If I like a show enough (like The Shield) I'll get the DVD set.
Old 10-31-03, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Frankly when I saw season 1 on DVD, I was kind of shocked at the amount of nudity that appeared. I was wondering how FX was able to show it. I mean granted it is a "cable only" channel, but now that the show is popular and in the mainstream focus, wouldn't advertisers potentially be concerned about this content? I certainly thought some of the season 1 episodes would have had a "graphic violence" warning or some such message when aired on TV.
I think that maybe the advertisers realised no one gives a damn. If you're watching a show for adults, it can have adult content. Period. If it airs after Bear in the Big Blue house, then there would be trouble.
Old 10-31-03, 08:25 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally posted by mikewendt
Actually... Yes, because they talk about being able to get away with some much and having very few content restrictions (alowing them to get thier original ideas on screen) on the commentary tracks of Season 1's DVD set.
This is different from what I asked. Who specifically is preventing the material from being seen? If you don't know, then it might be a little early to call the ACLU.
Old 11-01-03, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

also i;m wondering if there is actuall nudity in the pilot that we new comers don't get to see. (we saw vic pull down the guys pants, but we don't see the naked woman dead there. her nipples seemed to be blurred out.)
Old 11-03-03, 11:53 AM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw the very first airing of The Shield and I'm pretty sure the nipples were always kinda blurred. I don't remember what her lower region looked like, but I remember the nipples because it looked so weird. Maybe for the dvd they showed those scenes uncensored for the first time.
Old 11-03-03, 11:59 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by nny
I saw the very first airing of The Shield and I'm pretty sure the nipples were always kinda blurred.
I concur with this, and the DVD is the same as well. You never saw the dude's balls either.
Old 11-03-03, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

did the first episode always have that bbc type look. very soft and blurry at times when the camera moved. Mackey even had some hair also.
Old 11-03-03, 03:17 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not sure about the soft and blurry, but on the commentary for the dvd they say something about the hair on Mackey. I think it was only one scene, but Chicklis said they shaved his head the same as they always did, but the lighting was weird in that scene making it look like he had hair.
Old 11-03-03, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

it seemed like he had hair through out the entire episode and when he got done
Spoiler:
beating up the pediphile for info
it was shaven
Old 11-03-03, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
I concur with this
You're forgetting the oven mitt. I didn't have to watch the series premier twice to notice all three "good parts" were taken care of.

Not that I would get turned on by a dead chick, ya unnerstand.