Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Survivor: 10/23/2003

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-03, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by indianajdp

And he did absolutely NOTHING to help his cause if he does make it to the merger by his antics when looting Morgan. When will people learn that you can't act all arrogant and cocky and win
this game?
Not to mention being the most irritating person on the planet!
Old 10-24-03, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The look on Jon's face when the vote was revealed was classic. I think it hit him that he was alone.... I hope he goes soon, what a cocky arrogant little plick.
Old 10-24-03, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Osten has no heart and it's a sad thing to watch. I really wanted to like him at the begining but he's failed challenge after challenge and has wanted to quit before. He needs to go soon.
Old 10-24-03, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by cdollaz
Although it backfired, Trish was smart for trying to get Rupert off.
I don't see how you can say that. It was absolutely a dumb move. She didn't have the numbers. She didn't have the strong alliance that she could trust. Rupert is the leader of that tribe AND he is well-liked. Without him, Drake falls completely apart and gets picked off one by one. At this point in the game it is too early to be thinking about who the jury would vote for in the final two. You have to do what is best for yourself and your tribe at this point. Trish ran her mouth off and paid for it. She shouldn't have been surprised she had to go home. She wrote her own ticket.

And why the hell was Christa holding the pole and not John?
Isn't it obvious? Have you seen Jon's legs? They are like toothpicks.

This was a great episode, but next week should be even better.
Rupert: Who the HELL voted for me?!!
Jon: I did.

The next immunity challenge will be HUGE. It will determine which tribe has the advantage going into the merge, which will happen at some point.

Last edited by taa455; 10-24-03 at 09:15 AM.
Old 10-24-03, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally posted by taa455
I don't see how you can say that. It was absolutely a dumb move. She didn't have the numbers. She didn't have the strong alliance that she could trust. Rupert is the leader of that tribe AND he is well-liked. Without him, Drake falls completely apart and gets picked off one by one. At this point in the game it is too early to be thinking about who the jury would vote for in the final two. You have to do what is best for yourself and your tribe at this point. Trish ran her mouth off and paid for it. She shouldn't have been surprised she had to go home. She wrote her own ticket.
Well, I disagree completely. Rupert is the one member of Drake that has a good relationship with Morgan and when it came down to it, he could use that to influence both teams after the merge (if there is a merge anytime soon). I think trying to get him off was smart. Just didn't work.
Old 10-24-03, 09:47 AM

Well, I disagree completely. Rupert is the one member of Drake that has a good relationship with Morgan and when it came down to it, he could use that to influence both teams after the merge (if there is a merge anytime soon). I think trying to get him off was smart. Just didn't work.
Ditto to that.

History has shown that the (percieved) strongest player hardly ever wins, if ever.... but that's no reason to stack the deck against yourself. Him getting voted out would take away some of the enjoyment of the show, but strategically, he has to go soon. Like I said last week, they need to keep John until the merge and maybe they can use him as a bargaining chip, but if Rupert makes it to the merge, he has to voted out as soon as possible.

That's the way I see it. So far I'm batting a zero for my Survivor predictions though!
Old 10-24-03, 09:49 AM

I think what bugged me the most about Trish was not so much that she tried to get rid of Rupert (he is the BIGGEST threat), but her outright lying when she knew she was caught at Tribal Council. And please throw Osten and Jon out into the ocean together!

Last edited by Vegas9203; 10-24-03 at 09:55 AM.
Old 10-24-03, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Vegas9203
I think what bugged me the most about Trish was not so much that she tried to get rid of Rupert (he is the BIGGEST threat), but her outright lying when she knew she was caught at Tribal Council.
Yeah, because no one ever lies on Survivor!!!
Old 10-24-03, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, remember Nichole (blue dress) got sent home for the same sort of play on the first couple of days on the island? Never did understand why people actively go out of their way to paint a huge target on their backsides.
Old 10-24-03, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Rupert is being just as manipulative as anyone else on the show. At the beginning of last nite's show he was lamenting the fact that he didn't vote off Shawn. Then he goes and promises Shawn that those 2 will ride together to the finals.
Old 10-24-03, 09:56 AM

But if you get rid of Rupert, there won't be a Drake tribe left at the merge, not enough to make a difference. I found it laughable when Trish asked Jon if he could go hungry for the next few days, as if catching fish is all Rupert does for them. There isn't a Drake tribe without Rupert, just a bunch of complaining, back-stabbing, weak losers. Rupert is the only factor even making them respectable. Think about it, they have lost 3 IC's in a row, and that to a tribe many at the beginning were calling the worst tribe in the history of this game.

Not trying to convince you, cdollaz. Just for the sake of friendly argument.
Old 10-24-03, 10:05 AM

It was a dumb move for Trish to make. Her head wasn't even considered for the chopping block until she so quickly put it there herself, attempting to slicker than she is...and it bit her in the ass!
Old 10-24-03, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by taa455

Not trying to convince you, cdollaz. Just for the sake of friendly argument.
I'm not taking offense, just happen to disagree. I really think Rupert is starting to tire and something will happen soon to shake up the tribes, so Drake as we know it will likely not exist anyway, so why not get him out now. Unless Drake stays as-is, which it appears is not going to happen in the previews for next week, the whole reason to keep Rupert around is not even there, because there will not be a Drake.
Old 10-24-03, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Cheddarmuff
The look on Jon's face when the vote was revealed was classic. I think it hit him that he was alone.... I hope he goes soon, what a cocky arrogant little plick.
Why is it that no one is calling Rupert a cocky arrogant prick. "My Spear", "My Island"....and next week "Who voted for me????" Like he is god. I seem to remember Lex doing that in Survivor: Africa. He was going headhunting over who voted for him. Everyone hated him for that. Rupert is the same cocky guy that Lex was. He is entertaining but certainly not the lovable guy that everyone makes him out to be.
Old 10-24-03, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I actually think Rupert is very likeable. I hope he wins, but I realize the big threats usually get taken down. That tribal vote last night was one of the few times I felt nervous watching. I would have been really bummed to see him go before a merge.
Old 10-24-03, 11:34 AM
Banned

Originally posted by djbrown
anyone else think the preview might indicate
Spoiler:
that the voted out members are coming back to form another tribe?
The preview shows three tribe colors; blue, red/orange, and purple (the voted off members). Looks like a new tribe to me.
Old 10-24-03, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone else get scared by watching Rupert? I could totally see him as an alcoholic wife-beater.

He had so much rage in his face that I pictured him punching someone.
Old 10-24-03, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally posted by Mourn
I'm starting to think Osten is faking it. I don't doubt he's a wuss, but there was a look he gave before he threw down that pole that made me think he was calculating how strong to appear.
I've had this theory for a couple weeks now. My theory is that he knows that the strongest people almost always get voted out after the merge, so he's trying to make himself look unthreatening...

... of course I still think he'll be voted out after the merge, even if he is faking it , but it certainly would be an interesting idea.
Old 10-24-03, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We aren't the only people who hate Jon. I guess Probst isn't a fan, either.

http://www.hwforums.com/2061/messages/5612.html

This antagonism came to a head with a contestant named Jon Dalton this time around. Right off the bat, Probst got into a fight with Dalton, an art consultant whom he describes as "little and squirrelly."

"I told him on day one to shut the eff up," Probst recalls. "And then he kept bugging me, and so I told him in front of everybody else, 'I'm not kidding -- just shut your mouth, quit talking to me.' "

Dalton clearly got under Probst's skin. "We weren't getting along. He doesn't have to like me, and I don't have to like him, but shut up when I'm talking and then, when you're talking, I'll shut up."
Old 10-24-03, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I still ain't on the Rupert bandwagon because I find him a little too self-serving in how he plays the game. Sure, he's funny to watch and is a big contributor in his tribe, but that's not really what Survivor is all about.

It's always been about finding a way to get to the final 2 with the person you can beat in a vote by the "fallen comrades" in the jury. How you get there can be achieved in many ways, and I don't really think Rupert's way will get him there. He's simply too large a target to ignore when the going gets tough.
Old 10-24-03, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Jadzia
We aren't the only people who hate Jon. I guess Probst isn't a fan, either.
I love Probst. He da man.
Old 10-24-03, 05:39 PM

From ]Survivornews.net:

Spoiler:
It's unclear at this point how many will come back and over what duration, but we're told to keep an eye on an older woman, a black haired man, and another woman. We heard that one of the challenges involves an escape from a corral like structure and will involve knots, likely the one shown above.

Should be interesitng. By the way, why wouldn't they get rid of Sandra - she is annoying too and sits out every competition it seems.
Old 10-24-03, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Patman
I still ain't on the Rupert bandwagon because I find him a little too self-serving in how he plays the game. Sure, he's funny to watch and is a big contributor in his tribe, but that's not really what Survivor is all about.
Uh, sorry to break it to you, but that's exactly what Survivor is all about. There's only one name on the cheque, and however you play to get you there is bound to be self-serving in the long run... Whether Rupert's approach works or not is yet to be seen, but to criticize him for being self-serving is a little disingenuous...
Old 10-24-03, 10:12 PM

Originally posted by namrufmot
Anyone else get scared by watching Rupert? I could totally see him as an alcoholic wife-beater.

He had so much rage in his face that I pictured him punching someone.
Scared? Ummm, no. It's natural to want to know who voted for you and to be upset about it. To extrapolate normal anger into alcoholism and spouse abuse is unfounded and ridiculous.
Old 10-24-03, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
BTW, I'm not sure how much weight Rupert had on his poles when he went down, but I think he may be starting to tire out a bit.
As I noted in my summary, Rupert dropped at 220 lbs, and had 200 lbs when Osten went out at 160. Andrew, who won, only had 160 (about to go to 180). Furthermore, I think at that point it was more pain than endurance influencing how long they could hold the poll. I hardly think Rupert is weakening any more than anyone else.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.