Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Er 10-09

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-03, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Spoiler:
Abby's frustrating day gets worse when she gets a special "Dear John" letter from Dr. Carter in the Congo while her fellow nurses threaten a walkout and her opinions are ignored -- especially when she is chastised as she seeks to inform a teenaged girl, with failing lungs and heart, that her life is in grave danger. Elsewhere, Dr. Romano's mood gets nastier when he is fitted with an antiquated hook for his missing arm and he takes out his rage by firing several much-needed nurses. In addition, three new second-year residents join the staff -- including the self-assured Dr. "Coop". Dr. Pratt uneasily meets Dr. Chen's old-fashioned parents for dinner, and the playful Dr. Dorset makes an impression with his style and substantial skills. Tomorrow, read the letter online at www.nbc.com

Romano had the funny lines as always. "I got 2 letters for you F & U."
Old 10-09-03, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear Abby

Abby gets a Dear John letter from Carter that makes the rounds faster than the hyper new resident (Glenn Howerton) whom Neela nearly kills with too much asthma medication. Meanwhile, the nursing crisis reaches a fever pitch; Corday and Dorset dispense with the formalities; and a young heart patient (Stephanie Lineburg) is kept in the dark about her grim prognosis. Morris: Scott Grimes. Dorset: Bruno Campos.
Well, I wasn't really too interested in most of the cases...I wanted more about the doctors [and nurses]..

For some reason, I expected Romano to strip down and commit suicide...i'm glad he didn't..

For some reason, I thought Abby was going to head up to the roof after reading the letter and commit suicide...I wish she did..

Even though I know life goes on, I didn't like Corday's ride in the car. Guess i'm not ready to move on..

Not enough Gallant.

Weaver calling Romano her bitch!
Old 10-09-03, 10:44 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
I liked this episode.

Weaver calling Romano her bitch

I didn't expect Corday and the other Doc in the backseat of his car. It was just weird seeing that

Abby wasn't that annoying this episode I thought. She's being replaced by Parminder Nagra's character in that spot. I wonder how she's almost going to kill a patient next week
Old 10-10-03, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
OMFG, I hated this. Every second. There was an episode last season that I referred to as the worst-non-road-trip-episode ever. This proudly takes the cake as THE worst episode ever.

I hate all of the new characters. The smug "Coop", the obnoxious surgeon that increased my hatred with every insipid word out of his mouth, the mousy chick from the soccer movie, the two other med student doofuses, the dottering old nurse from geriatrics, hatred for every one of them.

I hated the nurses' subplot. Haven't we seen this a number of times already?
I hated the new claustrophobic look of the admittance area.
I hated Weaver's haircut.
I hated Abby's tantrums.
I hated all of the patients.
I hated the backseat scene.

Ten forms of the word "hate" in this post. Get the picture how I felt about it?

Honk!
Old 10-10-03, 01:07 AM

This series has become a VERY empty shell of what it
once was. I thought last season was weak.
Its unbelievable how crappy this episode was.

Period.
Old 10-10-03, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Charlie Goose
OMFG, I hated this. Every second. There was an episode last season that I referred to as the worst-non-road-trip-episode ever. This proudly takes the cake as THE worst episode ever.

I hate all of the new characters. The smug "Coop", the obnoxious surgeon that increased my hatred with every insipid word out of his mouth, the mousy chick from the soccer movie, the two other med student doofuses, the dottering old nurse from geriatrics, hatred for every one of them.

I hated Abby's tantrums.

Ten forms of the word "hate" in this post. Get the picture how I felt about it?
I'm guessing...you hated it?

Well, I agree with the backseat scene, the patients & anything Abby related. But, while "Coop" was overeager and smug [not as smug as Livvie's fellow backseat passenger ], I did like him getting in Romano's face. Hell, ANYthing that'll give Romano more screentime AND give us more Romano-isms, i'm all for...

We have seen the nurses' subplot before, but this time it was a catalyst for a potential Romano breakdown..[maybe?] Oh, and IMO Weaver's haircut looked MUCH better than before.

I wonder...are they setting us up for an Oriental adventure with Deb & Pratt...?
Old 10-10-03, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I "watched" this in the background whilst on the computer as it was obvious that the show was back to being the machine after the last three episodes but I did like the Abby montage in the beginning rapidly going through patients.

After that it was back to the paint by numbers 'ER'.
Old 10-10-03, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I thought this episode was extremely subpar as far as a good drama, but i thought it had some great one-liners in it. Ramano makes this show for me, yet he's a secondary character. Doesn't seem to make sense.
Old 10-10-03, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really enjoyed Romano in Carrie's office.

It kinda seems to me that Abby is going to finally going to become a doctor, although that is just a guess.

But I agree with Charlie:
I hated Abby's tantrums.
I hated smug 'Coop" and his inhaler and 7 attacks an episode. This got old rather quickly. I liked the Parkinson's doctor better from last season..
Old 10-10-03, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
"Dear Abby"

I liked this episode, and it seems to set up Abby going back to becoming a doctor because she's over-qualified as a nurse. And the nurse revolt didn't help things.

Will the sparks re-ignite between Luka and Abby? Part of me hopes not, but maybe the Congo change within Luka might allow him to be a better man if they started up again. Abby looked a little jealous of Luka's "girlfriend" as she doted on him.

Felt bad about Abby's "Dear Abby" letter got passed around. Not cool...especially since we, the audience, didn't get the read it, even if the gist was Carter was dumping Abby.

The new doctors are a scary bunch of characters.

Parminder Nagra made it into the credits in the 3rd episode already.

Pratt and Deb could be on the way out. But I get the sneaky suspicion that Pratt comes around to Deb's way of thinking in terms of commitment.

The exchange between Romano and Kerry in front of the elevator (and the kids and Abby) was excellent! Romano still has a heckuva right arm, though.

Diego (Dr. Dorset, sorry, I still think of the brash surgeon as Diego when Bruno Campos was on "Jessie") made quite the save in the ER, and got rewarded handsomely by Corday.

Overall, a fast-moving episode that laid down a lot of foundation for this season.
Old 10-10-03, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Charlie Goose
[B]OMFG, I hated this. Every second. There was an episode last season that I referred to as the worst-non-road-trip-episode ever. This proudly takes the cake as THE worst episode ever.[/quoteToday, I am the anti-Goose. I really enjoyed last night's episode, and I think that Charlie is somewhat off-his-rocker.
You could not be more wrong. I really liked "Coop", especially when he stood up to Romano and then laughed about it afterwards. Romano has been such a huge prick for so long, it's good to see him kicked around for a while. Parminder Nagra's Neela Rasgotra is a welcome change -- an intern with actual emotions, with doubts and fears just being overwhelmed by her situation. The dottering old nurse was creepy -- was she really there, or is she some kind of Sixth Sense-esque harbringer of doom?
I hated Abby's tantrums.
Well, OK, I think the new admittance area is fine -- it should feel claustrophobic, as if the patients are closing in on you, overwhelming you. Abby's tantrums... well, yeah, she is getting to be a bit wearisome. Maybe she'll start drinking again or do something else interesting. Weaver's haircut? The nurss' subplot? (shrug)
What do you people expect -- that Corday is just going to crawl into a hole and stop ever having sex? I'd rather see her sweaty and almost naked than all prim and proper anyway.
Old 10-10-03, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

There is no way anyone with Coop's attitude toward his superiors would have made it through medical school. He would have been tossed out long ago.
Old 10-10-03, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
the new guy getting in Romano's face and not even flinching was definitely the highlight of the episode.
Old 10-10-03, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The letter

Dear Abby,

By the time you read this letter, Luka should be safe in America and you will probably be wondering why I'm not with him. Before you go blaming yourself let me just say, it's not you, it's me - and I know even as I write this that you're going to think that's a breakup cliché, but if you could just try and hold back your judgment - and your condemnation - for a minute, maybe you will actually be able to understand what I'm trying to say. Being here has changed me in ways I never imagined. It put everything in perspective. County, Gamma's death, you. Well, me and you. We just had to work so hard at everything. Too hard, you know? When I think back on our last year together, everything appears hazy, muddled. And in the Congo, everything is very clear. People are suffering. I can help them. They need me. In a way that you don't.

You're much stronger than you think. You don't need me, Abby, and I don't think you ever really did. We both know we would work better unfettered. I think that at one point you convinced yourself that I was the right guy for you - reliable and safe, and I don't know, stable - but I don't think that that's what you really want. When we were just friends, it was safe. Maybe we even put each other on pedestals, I don't know. And then when we were finally together, it didn't become what either of us thought it would be. I didn't end up being what you expected, and you didn't end up being…sorry, I'm rambling.

I gave you as much as I could, but it wasn't enough. Clearly, there were a lot of things going on in your life that were more important, understandably. Eric's disease, your mother. Your life is complicated, and I didn't fit into that mix very well, did I? I tired to help, but then when I needed you…I don't know.

The light is dying. I don't want to waste any more kerosene.

I don't know how long I'm going to end up staying here. Don't wait for me.

I also want to say thank you. You are still one of the most amazing people I know.

Love,
Carter
Old 10-10-03, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Is this what Carter's letter really said? Source?
Old 10-10-03, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

http://www.nbc.com/nbc/ER/dear_abby.shtml

bigjim25 posted the link, but you couldn't see it 'cuz of the spoiler blackout..
Old 10-10-03, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, thanks! I knew there was a reason why I didn't read the blacked out spoilers after viewing the episode.
Old 10-10-03, 02:06 PM
Banned

After the way he completely humiliated Romano (who was asking for it), Coop's A-OK in my book.

It's about time that sawed-off obnoxious prick got this treatment.

I espeically love that he's feeling what it's like to be "screwed over" by the hospital (on the prosthetic arm) after he's used hospital policy to screw so many others over the year.

Normally you'd have sympathy for someone that just lost their arm in a tragic accident, but in Romano's case, he's finally getting paid back for how he's treated everyone in need over the years.

Hopefully one of the characters will explicitly point that out to him.
Old 10-10-03, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
coop would be gone if he went off like that on a senior physician
not saying it wasn't funny, but he'd be done after that
Old 10-10-03, 09:02 PM
Banned

Originally posted by mikehunt
coop would be gone if he went off like that on a senior physician
not saying it wasn't funny, but he'd be done after that
Yeah, but Romano would have been gone long ago if we were talking reality.

As I said in the other thread, you can't be that sexist when you're a male, and you can't be that racist when you're white.
Old 10-10-03, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by Patman
"Dear Abby"

I liked this episode, and it seems to set up Abby going back to becoming a doctor because she's over-qualified as a nurse. And the nurse revolt didn't help things.

Will the sparks re-ignite between Luka and Abby? Part of me hopes not, but maybe the Congo change within Luka might allow him to be a better man if they started up again. Abby looked a little jealous of Luka's "girlfriend" as she doted on him.

Felt bad about Abby's "Dear Abby" letter got passed around. Not cool...especially since we, the audience, didn't get the read it, even if the gist was Carter was dumping Abby.

The new doctors are a scary bunch of characters.

Parminder Nagra made it into the credits in the 3rd episode already.

Pratt and Deb could be on the way out. But I get the sneaky suspicion that Pratt comes around to Deb's way of thinking in terms of commitment.

The exchange between Romano and Kerry in front of the elevator (and the kids and Abby) was excellent! Romano still has a heckuva right arm, though.

Diego (Dr. Dorset, sorry, I still think of the brash surgeon as Diego when Bruno Campos was on "Jessie") made quite the save in the ER, and got rewarded handsomely by Corday.

Overall, a fast-moving episode that laid down a lot of foundation for this season.
I completely agree - I thought this was a fantastic episode. I thought this episode was top-notch in many respects: Romano; Abby; med students; Corday; Corday's new boy-toy, who briefly appeared last year. Dr. Lewis; Pratt/Chen....I loved the entire thing for the first time in a while, except the new ER.

The one thing that I really appreciated about the show was it seemed that they were really setting up Abby to go back to medical school to be a doctor, like she originally started out as. That's where her heart has been and I knew that's where they needed to take her character back to, but I thought they would do it w/ Jon's help. But if she goes back to school, who is going to be the head nurse?

I liked the med students...good to see Scott Grimes in action.

Pratt was good...Chen's parents suck.

The best part of the show was the lack of Weaver.
Old 10-13-03, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Has anyone actually seen an ER set up like this? I have worked at several hospitals, and visited many ERs, and I have never seen one set up as bad as this. Most are more secured than Ft. Knox, granted I have never been to a County ran one so maybe there is something to that aspect.
Old 10-13-03, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally posted by Cusm
Has anyone actually seen an ER set up like this? I have worked at several hospitals, and visited many ERs, and I have never seen one set up as bad as this. Most are more secured than Ft. Knox, granted I have never been to a County ran one so maybe there is something to that aspect.
I certainly haven't. It doesn't look like the set even has a triage area- the doors from outside takes a person right to the main desk.
Old 10-14-03, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Loved this episode!

I think I said it last week: Abby is going back to med school. Thank God. I can't believe I went from hating Abby one week to actually kind of liking her the next.

I think the writers did an awesome job this week. They packed in a ton of information.

The new guys: Those weren't med students, they were 2 yr residents right? So they would actually out rank Gallant and be equal with Pratt. I like Coops can-do attitude. Its nice to a character that isn't overwhelmed/tragic all the time. He is also badass for taking three shocks to the chest and then finishing his shift.

Good to see Malarky in something else. Too bad he's such a dumbass.
Old 10-14-03, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by CharlesC
Loved this episode!

I think I said it last week: Abby is going back to med school. Thank God. I can't believe I went from hating Abby one week to actually kind of liking her the next.

I think the writers did an awesome job this week. They packed in a ton of information.

The new guys: Those weren't med students, they were 2 yr residents right? So they would actually out rank Gallant and be equal with Pratt. I like Coops can-do attitude. Its nice to a character that isn't overwhelmed/tragic all the time. He is also badass for taking three shocks to the chest and then finishing his shift.

Good to see Malarky in something else. Too bad he's such a dumbass.
I hope Abby goes back to school soon, too.

I think they were 2nd year med students. Gallant is finished w/ med school now and is officially a doctor. I think he is in his first year of residency. I think Pratt is a third-year resident. And Chen, Lewis and Carter are the attendees w/ Carter being the senior doc in the E.R. I don't know what Romano is exactly anymore. I am just happy to see less of Laura Innes' character, I can't think of her stupid name now...Dr. Weaver

I was happy to see Scott Grimes, too.

Last edited by B.A.; 10-14-03 at 02:22 PM.