Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Anyone watch the revamped "Hack"?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-03, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone watch the revamped "Hack"?

I think David Morse is an inherently likeable guy, and I never missed "Hack" last season.

Now, CBS has obviously taken a different aproach to the show. The entire opening credits has been retooled to look like an action show with a new snazzy theme song. Gone is George Dzundza (Grizz), who's taken a post at a different parish. The ex-wife looks like she's been possibly written out, with her new boyfriend appearing briefly to take Olshansky's son away to Hawaii for 3 weeks. Olshansky's moved into a new place with an outspoken former nun as a neighbor.

Anyone catch the season premiere, and your thoughts on the changes? I actually thought it was still a good episode, though I think writing out Grizz is a BIG mistake. I loved the interaction between he and Olshansky, and he added another level of humanity to the show.
Old 09-29-03, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw it, but never watched it last year. Was this the season premiere? Care to fill me in on some of the back story?
Old 09-30-03, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, that was the season premiere.

When the series began, we find out that cab-driver Mike Olshansky was a disgraced former cop. He was partners with Marcellus (Andre Braugher), and while Marcellus was always a bit crooked, Mike looked the other way. In one instance, however, Mike did take a share of "loot". After an investigation, Mike lost his job. He never gave up Marcellus, however, and this hangs over their present friendship.

As a cab driver, Mike would encounter various "needy" people getting into his cab every week and his policeman nature would compel him to help them. He could always count on help from Marcellus, who "owes" him. My memory on this point is a bit foggy, but at the very end of the first season, Mike was facing a possible jail sentence related to his former crime, but Marcellus blackmailed the DA without Mike's knowledge and got the charge dropped.

Meanwhile, much of the show had to do with Mike's family life. He had to deal with his wife’s desire to divorce, spending quality time with his son, adjusting to his now ex-wife’s new boyfriend, and the heart attack of his estranged father. Through all this, he had his childhood friend, Grizz, (George Dzunda) a troubled priest, to support him. Grizz had a fondness for gambling, and fell out of favor with his parish head when it was suspected he had stolen money from the church. He also found himself having inappropriate feelings toward a long-ago love who showed up.

When the first season shows first began, I wondered how many people in trouble could get into Olshansky’s cab every week and keep it plausible. But because of the strong cast and flawed characters, I find it quite engrossing. That love/hate relationship between Mike and Marcellus alone is intriguing. The first season also had Lindsay Crouse as Grizz’s old flame and Bebe Neuwirth as Mike’s new girlfriend (which didn’t last too long).

I’m kind of disheartened that it doesn’t seem to pull a big viewership.
Old 09-30-03, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is up with George Dzunda leaving? Did he do it on his own or was he forced? This is the third time that he has left a show after the first season, IIRC...