Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Miss Match Premiere 9/26

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Miss Match Premiere 9/26

Old 09-27-03, 05:54 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Warren, MI
Posts: 5,614
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Miss Match Premiere 9/26

OK I didn't notice any thread for this but I'm guessing I'm not the only person who watched this last night.

Come on people admit it, you liked the show didn't you?
Old 09-27-03, 06:46 PM
  #2  
Moderator
 
Jadzia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Michigan
Posts: 15,799
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This was my most anticipated fall show (along with Karen Sisco). I really enjoyed the premiere. I love Alicia Silverstone and it was great seeing Ryan O'Neal again.

I liked the way the show intertwined stories both about divorce and match-making. Very fun and upbeat show. It will be a fun show to watch as a counterpoint to all the other heavy drama shows I watch.
Old 09-27-03, 07:15 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,165
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I absolutely loved it. I saw Alicia on Leno the other night, which reminded me to catch the show.

I agree with Jadzia, in that it will offset some of the many dramas on heavy rotation in my house.

Very happy and energetic premise, I hope it lasts as it's one of the few premieres that I've thoroughly enjoyed.
Old 09-27-03, 07:22 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Pearland, TX
Posts: 4,043
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had to tape it because of the time conflict with Joan of Arcadia. I enjoyed Miss Match. I'll definitely be tuning in each week.
Old 09-27-03, 07:23 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Rogue588's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Posts: 15,094
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
didn't watch it. and won't.

and before you suspect another "Alicia" internet-bashing as the reason..it has nothing to do with that. in fact, I have no opinion on her one way or the other. though, I do think that whole "she's getting too fat" thing that happened a lil while back was VERY ridiculous..

the only reason I didn't watch [and some might find this ridiculous] is because of the song that they played during the promos that NBC ran ad nasuem during Conan & the "Up All Night" rebroadcasts..

I. HATE. THAT. SONG.

shame too. it could be a good show. doubt it, but who knows. thanks to NBC's promo department, i'm not going to find out.

Last edited by Rogue588; 09-27-03 at 09:12 PM.
Old 09-27-03, 07:40 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Hero
 
B.A.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: East County
Posts: 33,362
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was definitely better than I thought it would be. Her voice is the only thing that nerves me about her.
Old 09-27-03, 08:30 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 3,754
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I liked it. I thought it was charming. I'll tune in next time. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be the most succesful of NBC's new crop.
Old 09-27-03, 08:32 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Warren, MI
Posts: 5,614
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rogue588 - I don't want to run the risk of raising your blood pressure but what song are you referring to? I actually never caught any of the promos for the show (watched it on the basis of EW's recommendation).

I really liked the show and the crush guy is really cute so that alone might keep me tuned in for awhile.
Old 09-27-03, 09:20 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Rogue588's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Posts: 15,094
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by lisadoris
Rogue588 - I don't want to run the risk of raising your blood pressure but what song are you referring to? I actually never caught any of the promos for the show (watched it on the basis of EW's recommendation).
To be honest...after the first 1,233,232 times, I just stopped at "SHE's -- not -- just a pretty face.." or something like that [perhaps it's the show's theme?]..

now i'm having violent flashbacks. i have to go now and find some neighborhood puppies to kill. i hope you're happy lisa...
Old 09-27-03, 10:31 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Mt. Olympus
Posts: 11,818
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I taped it and watched it. It was pretty good. I've never been much of a fan of Alicia Silverstone's but I decided I'd give the show a try.

I don't think I'll be freely admitting to any of my friends that I watch this, though. Total chick show. It reminded me of Ally McBeal for some reason (a show that I loved ), though this show is a lot lighter than Ally. I can see this being on Lifetime and WE in a few years.

One thing that slightly irritated me was Alicia's briefcase. I'm sure she has to carry around a metal briefcase because she's opposed to leather and all that stuff, but it looks ridiculous. They need to find something else for her to carry around.

The crush guy was irritating when he was on Boston Public. He seems less irritating now on this show.

The Kinko's guy in the preview for next week's show literally looked like a Neandrathal; he looked like Tarzan.

Old 09-27-03, 10:39 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 3,754
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Rogue588
[perhaps it's the show's theme?]
Negative.. They decided to go with a much more irritating song.. by Macy Gray.
Old 09-28-03, 03:43 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 32,225
Likes: 0
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally posted by Rogue588
didn't watch it. and won't.

and before you suspect another "Alicia" internet-bashing as the reason..it has nothing to do with that. in fact, I have no opinion on her one way or the other. though, I do think that whole "she's getting too fat" thing that happened a lil while back was VERY ridiculous..

the only reason I didn't watch [and some might find this ridiculous] is because of the song that they played during the promos that NBC ran ad nasuem during Conan & the "Up All Night" rebroadcasts..

I. HATE. THAT. SONG.

shame too. it could be a good show. doubt it, but who knows. thanks to NBC's promo department, i'm not going to find out.
I'm sorry, but that has to be the DUMBEST reason to not watch a show that I've ever heard.

I wasn't planning on checking this out but it sounds like it might be a fun show. I'll tune in next week.
Old 09-28-03, 08:04 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Warren, MI
Posts: 5,614
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OK now i have to run and protect the puppies in Rogue's neighborhood . That certain isn't the theme song (I didn't find it quite as annoying as ImmortalZeus) but there are only like two shows where I don't fastforward through the theme anyway.

I also thought the briefcase was kinda cool especially since there's an actual rationale as opposed to it just looking cute. I dont' even remember the crush guy on Boston Public, what he on last season? I stopped watching it so I probably missed him - or blocked the whole watching experience out of my head.
Old 09-28-03, 08:32 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Mt. Olympus
Posts: 11,818
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by lisadoris
OK now i have to run and protect the puppies in Rogue's neighborhood . That certain isn't the theme song (I didn't find it quite as annoying as ImmortalZeus) but there are only like two shows where I don't fastforward through the theme anyway.

I also thought the briefcase was kinda cool especially since there's an actual rationale as opposed to it just looking cute. I dont' even remember the crush guy on Boston Public, what he on last season? I stopped watching it so I probably missed him - or blocked the whole watching experience out of my head.
Huh, I didn't say the song was annoying.

The crush dude was on about half a dozen episodes of Boston Public last season. He was from the mayor's office and tried to get with Ronnie (Jeri Ryan) even though she was going out with that young teacher who's no longer on the show. He was the guy who helped Ronnie become Vice Principal.

Old 09-28-03, 12:57 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Warren, MI
Posts: 5,614
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by immortal_zeus
Huh, I didn't say the song was annoying.

The crush dude was on about half a dozen episodes of Boston Public last season. He was from the mayor's office and tried to get with Ronnie (Jeri Ryan) even though she was going out with that young teacher who's no longer on the show. He was the guy who helped Ronnie become Vice Principal.

Sorry for the mix-up , it was ClarkKentKY who found the theme irritating...

Thanks for the info on crush guy. I gave up on BP awhile ago.
Old 09-28-03, 01:26 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Hero
 
B.A.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: East County
Posts: 33,362
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by ClarkKentKY
Negative.. They decided to go with a much more irritating song.. by Macy Gray.
That's affirmative.

I asked my wife and the irritating song in the trailers that Rogue loves so much is from Shania Twain.

The music producer for this show needs to be shot.
Old 09-28-03, 02:22 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Gizmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 30,430
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't forget Charisma Carpenter (Buffy and Angel) will be on the series starting on the 5th episode...mmm...
Old 09-28-03, 02:52 PM
  #18  
Moderator
 
Jadzia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Michigan
Posts: 15,799
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, why do we keep calling him "the crush guy"? I'm confused.

He was also on Roswell.
Old 09-28-03, 04:30 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Warren, MI
Posts: 5,614
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Jadzia
Ok, why do we keep calling him "the crush guy"? I'm confused.

He was also on Roswell.
Spoiler:
the previews for next week mention that Miss Match has a crush on him hence the nickname.
Old 09-28-03, 05:03 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,926
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe this will be a huge hit and with David Conrad, the crush guy, in it nny and I can get to see Relativity released. That way perhaps they can hype it with current tv shows from Kimberly Williams, David Conrad, Richard Schiff, and Poppy Montgomery from the people that brought you Thirtysomething, Once and Again, and My So-Called Life.
Old 09-28-03, 05:40 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Mt. Olympus
Posts: 11,818
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by GizmoDVD
Don't forget Charisma Carpenter (Buffy and Angel) will be on the series starting on the 5th episode...mmm...
Yummy. So she's not going to be on Angel anymore? I don't watch Angel, so I don't know.

Old 09-28-03, 08:17 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Duluth, GA, USA
Posts: 37,782
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alicia Silverstone is one of those young actresses that is getting better with age. I liked the pilot, and we need more of the bartender friend!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.