TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Coupling Series Premiere 9.25

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-03, 02:35 PM
My Generosity Is Legendary

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by squidget
The NBC version was done by No Doubt
There is a Cake version of the whole song (not sure who wrote it originally)
I think the original was done by Doris Day.
Old 09-26-03, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I didn't like the US version too much. All the lines came out very forced and off. Maybe when the original scripts kick in, it will be better.
I talked several folks in my office and they felt the same thing about the show. None of them have seen the BBC version. Oh, and nobody liked Jeff. He was just a bland card board sidekick they said.
Old 09-26-03, 06:35 PM

Oh, and nobody liked Jeff. He was just a bland card board sidekick they said.
Of all the crappy things they could do to this show, that is the saddest.
Old 09-26-03, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why did they even bother? They took the first episode script word for word from the original and just put lackluster actors in the roles.

The commercials for this show were too painful to watch, so I'm not bothering to watch the whole thing. NBC should just get the original episodes and play those. Ferchrissakes, if you're gonna put new shows on, at least use a bit of originality.
Old 09-26-03, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
What's amazing about this show is that the actors are so bad and their delivery of the dialogue so stilted and terrible that they make the writing itself seem awful, when the same lines delivered by the British cast were terrific.

This episode was bad. It was very, very bad. I will never watch again.
Old 09-26-03, 08:23 PM
My Generosity Is Legendary

Originally posted by Patman
So...this begs the question:

Who would you cast for the 6 main characters (US version):

Steve
Patrick
Jeff

Jane
Sarah
Sally
Steve-Billy West
Jeff- John Dimaggio
Patrick- Phil LaMarr

Susan- Katey Sagal
Jane- Lauren Tom
Sally- Tress MacNeille
Old 09-27-03, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Terrible. These are professional actors? I've seen better performances on public access. The dialogue was a joke, and the characters were unlikable to the point that it made me angry. Now me smash!

Honk!
Old 09-27-03, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
FYI
To everyone that's voiced displeasure over this episode and haven't seen the original BBC pilot it was based on (Flushed), your chance will be Sunday the 28th at 9:40pm Eastern on BBC. I highly recommend it.
Old 09-27-03, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just caught my first three episodes of the original (4-6). The first ten minutes of Inferno I didn't like but I did from that point. The NBC version definitely didn't come close to those three and the actors really let themselves down so far.

The only gripe I have with the original is some of the camera angles they used and the presentation looking like it was a cropped version of a wider frame. Had to check what the OAR was as it didn't look right.

That and based on those three episodes I am not fond of the Patrick and Jane characters at all. The others are both well written and performed but I found those lacking quite a bit. Do they stay pretty much that way or evolve over the series?

Edit- Figures they re-air the first episode at that time. Are they showing it later on that night also? Too many other shows on around that time Sunday.

Last edited by abintra; 09-27-03 at 05:58 AM.
Old 09-27-03, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought it was pretty weak. I think the casting is what did it in. The guy who plays Steve looks like the BBC Patrick. I would have had Steve play Patrick. And definitely re-cast Steve and Jeff. The Jeff actor is the worst. Wasn't Breckin Meyer originally cast as Jeff? He wouldn't have been bad. They need someone wacky to play Jeff. The Jeff they have looks like an accountant. Also Steve needs to be hotter.

Something that was missing was that in the original, there was instant chemistry between Susan and Steve. Since their relationship is the running basis for the show, that chemistry is vital. NBC's Susan and Steve had no such chemistry and their meeting and subsequent date felt like nothing special, especially not the beginning of a great romance.

I still think Susan should be a blonde, but Rena Sofer is definitely the prettiest one so they got that right. Jane seems ditzy enough, and Sally really left no impression on me.
Old 09-27-03, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally posted by abintra

That and based on those three episodes I am not fond of the Patrick and Jane characters at all. The others are both well written and performed but I found those lacking quite a bit. Do they stay pretty much that way or evolve over the series?

Edit- Figures they re-air the first episode at that time. Are they showing it later on that night also? Too many other shows on around that time Sunday.
I agree that Jane can be annoying sometimes.
If I remember correctly, you can catch Flushed at 12:40 also.
Old 09-27-03, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I've never seen the original, and I thought the only decent parts of this show were Rena Sofer and Lindsay Price. The third lady was lame and so were all three of the guys. I agree w/ everyone on the lack of chemistry and the writing isn't even mediocre.
Old 09-27-03, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like the idea of Nicholas Brendon (Xander from Buffy) as Jeff. He would have been perfect, and I think he needs a job.
Old 09-27-03, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I haven't seen the BBC original series and I rather enjoyed the NBC show.

I'm in need of comedy as I gravitate towards drama and a laugh now and then is OK.

I just borrowed Coupling from a friend, but may hold off until this show catches a stride with me.
Old 09-28-03, 01:46 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
I think part of why this sucks is because the original actor's did it first, and I am sure that the new cast watch each show, and don't bring there own quirks to it, they try and re-do it as it was originally.

I also think that E.R. is on the way out, so the location btw W&G and ER is not key. And in any case NBC already has its new friends and it is scrubs
Old 09-28-03, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by B.A.hist
I agree w/ everyone on the lack of chemistry and the writing isn't even mediocre.
Honestly, it's not the writing's fault. Watch the British version and you'll see a dramatic difference. The new cast emphasizes all the wrong points.

One thing is certain, the new Jeff definitely will not have what it takes to pull off the "Now imagine you're Israeli" scene with the girl at the bar. That is one of the funniest things I've ever seen, and I shudder in horror at the thought of this guy re-enacting it.
Old 09-28-03, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree with Josh Z, Jeff is my favorite part of the BBC version and is by far the worst part of this one. All the best Jeff stuff is just gonna be crap.
Old 09-28-03, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
I also think that E.R. is on the way out, so the location btw W&G and ER is not key. And in any case NBC already has its new friends and it is scrubs
Old 09-28-03, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Josh Z
Honestly, it's not the writing's fault. Watch the British version and you'll see a dramatic difference. The new cast emphasizes all the wrong points.
Okay - if I come across it I will give it a shot. Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 09-28-03, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
Is the version on Bravo the BBC version or a repeat of the NBC version? It lists different actors so I thought it may be the BBC version, but because NBC owns Bravo I thought it may just be a repeat.
Old 09-28-03, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Tuesday, Sept 30 at 11/10pm showing? That is the NBC version.

Edit: Here's BBCA's schedule for the original. They are airing the first season this month starting tonight.

http://www.bbcamerica.com/schedule/P..._name=Coupling

Last edited by abintra; 09-28-03 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-28-03, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah my reaplayTV was pulling down the wrong info on the Bravo version for some reason. It is switched over to the same description as the NBC version now. I don't get BBCA, maybe I'll pick up the DVD's.
Old 09-30-03, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by abintra
I just caught my first three episodes of the original (4-6). The first ten minutes of Inferno I didn't like but I did from that point. The NBC version definitely didn't come close to those three and the actors really let themselves down so far.

The only gripe I have with the original is some of the camera angles they used and the presentation looking like it was a cropped version of a wider frame. Had to check what the OAR was as it didn't look right.

Just noticed that the DVDTalk review states that the OAR is 1:85 which explains it. I checked IMDb initially and a review they had there, DVDanswers?, said 1:33.

How come DVDTalk isn't linked to more often for external dvd reviews at IMDb? One would think how popular this place it is that it would be a common source to link to.
Old 09-30-03, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Pac-Rat
The NBC version was done by No Doubt
There is a Cake version of the whole song (not sure who wrote it originally)

This information is all correct. You may recall the Doris Day version as part of the soundtrack to Strictly Ballroom.

The Cake version of this song appears on the soundtrack to Stephan Elliot's Welcome to Woop Woop (1997) soundtrack. BTW this is a brilliant CD (fun R&H remakes bye Poe & Neneh Cherry, some Cumbawumba)- grab it if you ever see it in a record store!
Old 09-30-03, 12:52 PM

I finally watched the pilot last night and I'm unsure as to whether it's something I will continue to watch. I will give it a few more views but if it doesn't improve then it's history.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.