TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Study: Use of profanity increasing on TV

Old 09-23-03, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Study: Use of profanity increasing on TV

Fuk yeah!

http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/TV/0....ap/index.html

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Television is cussing up an increasingly blue streak, according to a study of the major broadcast networks.

"During the 2002-2003 season, the broadcast networks attempted to rewrite the book on language standards for television," the Parents Television Council, a watchdog group, said in a report released Monday.

The council said it studied all primetime entertainment series from a two-week period in 1998, 2000 and 2002 and found a jump in profanity on "virtually every network" and in every time slot.

The group called on the TV industry to "get serious about reducing the flood of vulgarity. ... Barring that, the FCC needs to get serious about enforcing broadcast decency laws," the group said of the Federal Communications Commission.

The study examined ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, WB and UPN.

During the so-called "family hour," from 8-9 p.m., foul language increased by 94.8 percent between 1998 and 2002, the study found. It rose by 109 percent during the 9 p.m. hour in the same period.

The smallest increase, 38.7 percent, occurred during the last hour of primetime, 10-11 p.m., when young children are least likely to be in the audience, the council said.

The group noted what it called "minor" improvements.

Foul language in the 8 p.m. hour on Fox fell 25 percent in the study period. But the study found profanity rose 75 percent during the 9 p.m. hour on Fox.

On ABC, offensive language decreased by 17 percent in the study period, mostly because of improvements during the latter two primetime hours. But profanity was up by 61.7 percent during the family hour, the study found.

An ABC spokesman Monday said the network had not seen the report and declined comment. A Fox spokesman declined comment.

In a similar, earlier study, the PTC found that sexual content on TV was less frequent but more explicit.
Old 09-23-03, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No shit.
Old 09-23-03, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Too ****ing bad.

Get the "eff" over it, already.

Start curing cancer or feeding the hungry or something useful, please.
Old 09-23-03, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Y2K Falcon
No shit.
Shit, that's what I was going to say.
Old 09-23-03, 08:07 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I'd like to see the list of what constitutes as profanity by their standards.
Old 09-23-03, 08:23 PM

Yeah, getting offended by certain words has always seemed to me to be incredibly immature. I just can't even begin to comprehend why fu*k, shit, bitch and all these other words are so horribly wrong? Look, I can't type out fu*k but we all know exactly what the word is. It's mind-numbingly stupid. I'll be glad when the day comes that shows like Sopranos can be shown on regular tv with no censorship. We have V-Chips and such things now so there is no excuse. If you don't want your kids to see these things, take 5 minutes out of your day and figure out how to use that V-chip. Why do we have to watch watered down crap becasue some people might be lazy parents?
Old 09-23-03, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't care about the profanity that much; but what's with the prudish attitude towards nudity?
Old 09-23-03, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Because a lot of North Americans lump sex and nudity together, and lump sex and immorality together. Nudity has the POTENTIAL to be sexual, and sex has the POTENTIAL to be immoral. They don't see the difference between a rape scene and someone getting out of the shower.

I think after 10pm, anything goes. As it should be. Sopranos aired here at 10pm on network TV uncut, and there was no fuss because kids were in bed, and there were plenty of warnings.

I just find it so funny when you guys air a movie like Starship Troopers, cut out all the naughty words and bare breasts, but leave in the guys getting ripped apart and set on fire.

Because that's less offensive.
Old 09-24-03, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
People's standards are easing up on it. if the american public didn't get decensitized(sp) then we would still have standards to where you couldn't show anything above the ankle along thelines of leg flashes.

we still hold some standards to nudity of course. I'm sure in about 5 years give or take, we will see some nudity on tv.
Old 09-24-03, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

seriously whats the big deal about swear words? south park had it right - if we just let shit become a normal word, it will quickly lose its 'taboo'-ness. these words are bad because most people just accept them as bad.

look at words like damn and bitch. years ago they were HORRIBLE words...now everyone says them all the time. its no big deal. shit is slowly approaching that status. i assume f*** will within 5-10 years.

let kids hear and say these words. all we have to do is make them not-bad-things-to-say. soon they will say it less and it wont even be a big deal.
Old 09-24-03, 05:35 AM

In the days before TV, wasn't the "Parents Television Council" known as the "Hitler Bookburning Club"?
Old 09-24-03, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Alright, I'll be the sole voice against profanity on TV. You want it then get pay cable.

You can't stop kids from learning these words off the street but why do we need it broadcast on TV? When I was a kid, I prefered innocence. Why do kids have to learn profanity, rape, and other adult issues from TV? Loss of innocence is a sad state of affairs for kids. It's no surprise that kids are doing drugs, dressing like hos, and having sex at an early age. And, no, I do not have any kids.
Old 09-24-03, 09:50 AM

Originally posted by big whoppa
Loss of innocence is a sad state of affairs for kids.
It is a fine line between "innocence" and "ignorance." I would prefer that my children learn about the world around them as early as possible.
Old 09-24-03, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I agree that the curse words are taboo based on historical treatment of the words themselves. Unfortunately, if we make use of such words commonplace and acceptable, other new taboo words will come along and replace the current crop.

Look, kids will go out of their way to seem cool, hip and cutting edge. They will constantly use vulgarity, in whatever form, for the shock value it causes.

However, as an adult I personally do not see the need for the use of shock language in family hour viewing programs. I have no problem with such language in later viewing times in shows/situations where the language used adds value/meaning to the situation being portrayed. To just use vulgarity for the sake of using it alone is meaningless.
Old 09-24-03, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i'm surprised that nip tuck hasn't gotten into trouble over content (rear nudity, tons of sex, brief female nudity in the pilot), and lots of swearing. surprised that advertisers didn't pull out early.
Old 09-24-03, 11:41 AM

big whoppa... you're not alone. Agree completely.
Old 09-24-03, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by wlmowery

However, as an adult I personally do not see the need for the use of shock language in family hour viewing programs. I have no problem with such language in later viewing times in shows/situations where the language used adds value/meaning to the situation being portrayed. To just use vulgarity for the sake of using it alone is meaningless.
hey, maybe I want to see Homer Simpson yell out a "Oh, Fu*k" instead of "D'oh" from time to time.
Old 09-24-03, 12:21 PM

The evening news is far more violent and potentially damaging to children's psyche than any network show.

I've been hearing this "TV is warping children" all my life...it's a nice excuse for irresponsible parents.
Old 09-24-03, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Alright, I'll be the sole voice against profanity on TV. You want it then get pay cable.
You don't want it, block shows by rating.

Or *gasp* tell kids what they can and can't watch, and occasionally keep an eye on them.

Now, as long as my stepson doesn't find out that he can watch a 'live tv' show currently being recorded without entering the code, things will be ok!
Old 09-24-03, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

You can't stop kids from learning these words off the street but why do we need it broadcast on TV? When I was a kid, I prefered innocence. Why do kids have to learn profanity, rape, and other adult issues from TV? Loss of innocence is a sad state of affairs for kids. It's no surprise that kids are doing drugs, dressing like hos, and having sex at an early age. And, no, I do not have any kids.
It's not like the profanity has been showing up in kid's shows. I'd guess that most of it is present in shows that are definitely NOT for kids.

And the whole "family hour" of television watching is a joke anyway.
Old 09-24-03, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Rypro 525
i'm surprised that nip tuck hasn't gotten into trouble over content (rear nudity, tons of sex, brief female nudity in the pilot), and lots of swearing. surprised that advertisers didn't pull out early.
Cable channels tend to have more leniency due to their much smaller viewing audiences.
Old 09-24-03, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm surprised friends got away with saying "no shit" in the season finale right in the family hour (as with tons of sex related jokes), and unlike for chicago hope, they didn't even advertise for it.
Old 09-24-03, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm surprised friends got away with saying "no shit" in the season finale right in the family hour (as with tons of sex related jokes), and unlike for chicago hope, they didn't even advertise for it.
What? I watched that episode and I don't remember that at all.
Old 09-24-03, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't remember that either.
Old 09-24-03, 03:13 PM

I'm surprised friends got away with saying "no shit" in the season finale
I think you are full of shit. (Couldn't resist). I don't recall that, either.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.