Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Alias season 1 - blind buy and slightly dissapointed

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-03, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by kallen
That's absolutely true that you have to move on from one episode to another episode since unsolved riddles and twists will be revealed in the next episode. And a lot of truth are gradually told and something unknown and exciting is waiting for you.....But this show has a lot in common with Felicy. Fox example, two African-American women (Elena, Franccie) doubt that their boyfriends could have been cheating to them. The two heroines initially have some kind of misunderstanding with their fathers (Edward, Jack) and then their mutual relationships are developing in a very good and cooperative way. Besides. the heroines have to choose two men whom they seem to have the sort of love triange with. (Felicity & Ben & Noel ; Sydney & Vaughen & Will). It's out of question that the show is also called "Felicity as a Spy.")
excellent analysis!. I guess Mr Abrahms stuck with a formula he knows well
Old 09-20-03, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
I received my copy in Taiwan yesterday. I watched the pilot, but I considered that J. J. has made a huge mistake about the setting of the episode. That is, the setting actually is taken place in Hong Kong, not Taiwan mentioned by the characters in the show.
The scene takes place in Taipei, however this is a television series working on a limited budget and it is shot entirely in Los Angeles. Out of necessity, they had to make "Taipei" out of the local Chinatown, as that is as close as they are ever going to get.

Suspension of disbelief is required for little details like this. They don't actually film in South America, or Russia, or any other exotic locale either.
Old 09-20-03, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm slightly disappointed too. But I actually mean "slightly."

From what I'd read here, I figured it would be great, instead, with 2 episodes to go in season one, I'd put it at very good. B or B+ for the season.

Definately requires much suspending of disbelief and there is too much of the dialog that clearly foreshadows what's gonna happen.

My favorite moment from season one was when Syd needed to be extracted (they do a lot of extracting on this show) from the FBI. The three guys show up with masks, easily take out the mall "security guards" that just got put into the FBI and then Varatan and the chubby guy from Felicity take off their masks so Syd knows who's involved and then Victor Garber who's driving says something like "we've got you, it's gonna be ok" and Syd goes, "daddy?" That was hilarious!

As fas as the extras go, when will studio get the message that people can't get enough of the gag reels? I could have watched hours and hours of that stuff. I would probably enjoy gag reels from shows that I don't even watch. In a deleted scene, you get to see something you didn't see but the actors are in character. In the behind the scenes stuff, they are themselves. When they do the gag reel stuff, you get to see them in character and then out of character and it's not only cool and funny but it's interesting to see them being all serious as spies and then cracking each other up as regular people. I love the gag reels and it was way too short.

The season 2 preview makes season 1 look boring and predicatable. Victor Garber really is strong in this role and I hope he wins the Emmy.

Last edited by dolphinboy; 09-20-03 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-21-03, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh man, just finished season 1. Wow!

It was sad to see Vaughn die, but oh well.

Nothing in the world sucks more right now than not being able to go right to Season 2.

Tippin huggin Jack is my second favorite moment from the whole season. Especially the way Jack looked so uncomfortable with it.
Old 09-21-03, 06:06 AM
Cool New Member

However, the language used in pilot is totally wrong. People in Taipei should speak Chinese, not Cantonese. I have always been wondering that J. J. has some sort of mockery about Taiwan. Not to mention in Felicity as well, the movies written by him like Armageddon and possibily Joy Ride feature the same sarcasm of Taiwan. I have no idea if J. J. is a Taiwan-hater, but there are the above evidences telling the truth which I have been discovering.
Old 09-21-03, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There might be a more benign explanation why they have those Chinese actors speak Cantonese when the location is in Taiwan. It's possible that there are a lot more Cantonese actors around the studio so easier to get those extras into the show. Also, most viewers won't know the difference between Cantonese and Taiwanese anyways. So why go to all that much extra trouble to hire Taiwanese speakers? I agree with you that they should hire actors to speak Mandarin instead. It's spoken by almost all Chinese. Instead of making those extras speak local dialects (Cantonese, Taiwanese, etc...) that don't match the region they are in.

You mentioned there is similar inconsistency in Armageddon on Taiwan. I've seen that movie but I don't recall any problem. Could you tell me what scene you are thinking of?

Last edited by mookiemeister; 09-21-03 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-21-03, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by mookiemeister
You mentioned there is similar inconsistency in Armageddon on Taiwan. I've seen that movie but I don't recall any problem. Could you tell me what scene you are thinking of?
Doesn't the city get destroyed by an asteroid chunk?

Anyway, Armageddon was writted by a committee of about 15 different screenwriters and script doctors, so I don't think we can place the blame for that one solely on Abrams' shoulders.

I doubt that Abrams has any hatred of Taiwan. I think more likely he, like most white Americans, is just ignorant of the subtle details and is filling them in with things he's learned in other movies, which is not necessarily the best way to go about it.
Old 09-22-03, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I didn't realize a city in Taiwan was destroyed by an asteroid. I'll have to go check it out one of these days.
Old 09-22-03, 01:58 PM

I actually never watched the first season, but started up in Season 2 and am hooked. If anyone isn't happy with their Alias Season One set, I'd be more than happy to buy it from you.
Old 09-27-03, 10:11 PM
Cool New Member

Why does J. J. like to put some supernatural elements in his shows? For example, in Felicity, Meghan's magic always results in Felicity's "colossal" decisons for choosing what to do in the key moments. On the other hand, in Alias, the Rambaldi prophecy is what SD-6, CIA, K-Directorate and other secret angecies are interested in and makes up storylines around the prophet.
Old 10-04-03, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just watched the season one dvds. I hadn't watched the show before, i just borrowed the dvds from a friend. This show rocks. Now i gotta find an easy way to get my hands on season 2. i'm tivoing season 3 until i finish 2
Old 10-04-03, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
My wife just started watching last year, and I started to watch at the end of the first season. I bought my wife first season as a gift and we can't be happier w/ it. The pilot could have been a feature film - we were both really impressed w/ it. I'm really happy w/ this set.
Old 10-05-03, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why does J. J. like to put some supernatural elements in his shows?
Because he's a geek who played too much Dungeons & Dragons in high school.
Old 10-05-03, 08:20 PM

Re: Alias season 1 - blind buy and slightly dissapointed

Originally posted by AdamGott
Did anyone else blind buy this one? I have never seen an episode but have heard so much about it that I figured it was worth the chance. I have only watched the first disc (first three episodes) but they are, so far, not very good. They all seem to have the same plot and really are not very compelling. I normally like most media set in these 'spy' environments but this one is nearly putting me to sleep.

Does it get any better or should I just quit now? I only paid $30 for the box and can probably get back what I paid for it.

Where did you get it for $30? Did you buy it used? If you want to sell it, I am interested.

Jason
Old 10-23-03, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
for those that didn't like it, can someone email me. I some how lost my copy of the 6th disc and wouldn't mind if someone sent me one to heve.
Old 10-24-03, 12:26 PM
Suspended

I blind bought it also. It is an awesome show and I am counting the days til season 2 comes out in December!

Currently, I am recording season 3 on my PVR so I can watch them all in order. It should be a wonderful Christmas!

I agree though. If you do not like the first few episodes, then I doubt you will get into it later.
Old 10-25-03, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Meteu185
I actually never watched the first season, but started up in Season 2 and am hooked. If anyone isn't happy with their Alias Season One set, I'd be more than happy to buy it from you.
Good answer.

Well, I'm definitely hooked on this show too. I think it does a good job mixing well-thought out plot, some humor, and action all in one show. I can't imagine the difficulty of doing that in a 45 min episode.

But if you find it too predictable, maybe you shouldn't think as much. Despite me always being an inquisitive one, this show I actually just enjoy watching and thinking about afterwards.

Can't wait for season 2 to come out.