Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Family Guy part 2..

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Family Guy part 2..

Old 09-17-03, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Family Guy part 2..

Not really family guy.. but close
Fox hankering for a homer with 'Dad'
'Family Guy' creator MacFarlane pitches new skein

The network of Homer Simpson and Hank Hill is opening its doors to a new animated patriarch.
Fox Broadcasting has ordered a pilot presentation of the tentatively titled "American Dad," a half-hour toon laffer in the works from "Family Guy" creator Seth MacFarlane and veteran "Guy" scribes Mike Barker and Matt Weitzman. Skein will be produced by 20th Century Fox TV, the studio behind "The Simpsons" and "King of the Hill."

If greenlit "American Dad" could launch as early as fall 2004.

It will serve up a 21st century toon take on "All in the Family," focusing on a clan consisting of a right-leaning CIA agent and his wife, their two kids (including a liberal daughter), a housebound alien named Roger and a French-speaking goldfish.

As with "Family Guy," MacFarlane plans to provide several of the character voices, in addition to enlisting other vocal talents.

Pilot presentation order comes as Fox continues to make a major push to breed the next generation of animated skeins to join still-strong toon titans "The Simpsons" and "King of the Hill." In addition to the "American Dad" order, net has taken the unusual step of launching an initiative that will result in civilian scribes and comicbook geeks getting a chance to pitch execs their ideas for new animated shows (Daily Variety, Aug. 27).

"Animated comedy is a part of our brand, and has been for a long time," said Craig Erwich, exec VP of development at Fox Broadcasting. "You've got to make sure you've got the next ones in the pipeline -- not that the shows we have now are going anywhere."

MacFarlane, Barker and Weitzman will all serve as creators and exec producers of "American Dad," which will not shy away from political and social humor.

Political punch

"The dynamic is very much 'All in the Family,' with a left-wing daughter who's constantly clashing with her father," MacFarlane said. "It's a great time to be doing a show like this, because it's such a politically charged period that's ripe for satire."

Gary Newman, prexy of 20th Century Fox TV, points to the strong DVD sales and off-net ratings for "Family Guy" repeats as evidence that the skein struck a nerve with viewers, despite its relatively short run of three seasons.

" 'Family Guy' was really a breakout show in terms of its irreverence and the originality of its characters," he said. "While it didn't have a long-term run on Fox, it did have a successful one. And Seth proved, working with Matt and Mike, that he can create characters that resonate years later."

Indeed, MacFarlane, Barker and Weitzman already seem to have a firm grasp on several main characters.

"The father Stan's a pompous ass in the Ted Knight vein," MacFarlane said.

"The family also has an alien named Roger who's not allowed to leave the house, and as a result, sits around drinking wine and smoking cigarettes.

He's very effeminate in a Paul Lynde sort of way. And we've also got a talking goldfish who's the result of a failed CIA experiment in which they tried to place the brain of a Frenchman into the body of a fish."

'Family' life

Scribe is also not giving up on "Family Guy." Strong repeat numbers on Cartoon Network, as well as huge DVD sales, has spurred talk of some sort of revival, either through an original DVD feature or perhaps a new life on cable. MacFarlane recently created an original Stewie sketch for last month's MTV Video Music Awards.

Meanwhile, MacFarlane, repped by Endeavor and First Entertainment, is writing the feature "Party Animals" for Fox Searchlight and is attached to direct the project.

Barker and Weitzman, repped by WMA and Jeff Frankel, are currently working on the first season of NBC's greenlit toon skein "Father of the Pride." Duo are also writing a frat comedy for New Line and the Weitz brothers.
sound nice.. but what about stewie?
Old 09-17-03, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It'd be awesome if Peter was on there again. He was easily my favorite
Old 09-17-03, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Fox has reserved/purchased the domain familyguythemovie.com (or is it the familyguymovie.com) and cinemascape.com had this recently (and I quote):

[q]"In an exclusive interview with Coming Attractions at Cinescape, FAMILY GUY creator Seth McFarlane told us that the rumor about the possible return of his TV show is about to become a reality. A deal is imminent for McFarlane to continue creating new animated adventures of Quahog's nuttiest, funniest dysfunctional family, the Griffins.

"It's all come down to the budget right now. We're hashing it out," McFarlane tells CA. "It would be a direct-to-DVD project."

While the feature length FAMILY GUY will be developed at Fox, it will be at a different division and not through the company's television arm. And as for when we might be able to see new FAMILY GUY goodness:

"Timeframe, you're probably looking at a year, a year-and-a-half down the line. It will take a while to make. If we could do it within a year it would be very exciting."

With tremendous sales of the first DVD volume of FAMILY GUY (the second set goes on sale starting next week) and ratings on Cartoon Network climbing high, McFarlane's now-cancelled series is proving to be more popular in its afterlife than it was when it was in active production on Fox. Expect all the TV series cast members to reprise their roles for the movie.

Look for my exclusive 10 questions interview with Seth McFarlane next week here on Cinescape. Find out more about the origins of the show, the developing FAMILY GUY movie and what storyline McFarlane has got in mind for it! "[/q]
Old 09-17-03, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

sounds good...but is it worth watching if its gonna be canceled in a year or two?
Old 09-17-03, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Venusian
sounds good...but is it worth watching if its gonna be canceled in a year or two?
As anything good on Fox is...

At least now there is a venue for Fox' shortsightedness.... Cartoon Network!
Old 09-17-03, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

they should just bring Family Guy back and forget about trying to recreate it in a diff. show.
Old 09-17-03, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
why would mcfarlane go back to a network that screwed his show?
Old 09-17-03, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
because he needs to work and with network mergers if you ignore a venue that is offering you work, it's as good as suicide.
Old 09-17-03, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
because he needs to work and with network mergers if you ignore a venue that is offering you work, it's as good as suicide.
Yeah, it's not like they asked him to violate his artistic integrity. Fox jerked the show around, and eventually canellled it. Hopefully, they learned something from the syndication and DVD numbers.

Why would he go back? 'Cause Fox can afford more than Comedy Central or Cartoon Network. I'm sure Cartoon Network would jump at the chance to get more new eps of FG, IF they could get them for what they pay for their other first-run shows, but that's not likely at all.......

And in the aren't-they-precious dept.: When my 4 year-old doesn't get what he wants or asks for, he often cajoles you with: "I've got two words for you: Come onnn.......COME ONNNNNNNNNN!!!!!"
Old 09-17-03, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It will serve up a 21st century toon take on "All in the Family," focusing on a clan consisting of a right-leaning CIA agent and his wife, their two kids (including a liberal daughter), a housebound alien named Roger and a French-speaking goldfish.
I've got a better idea: come up with a show about an overweight stupid man, his two loser kids, an alcoholic talking dog, and a homicidal maniac baby who wants to kill his own mother and take over the planet. oh, wait ...

This is Fox's way of admitting they were wrong, without having to admit they were wrong.
Old 09-17-03, 03:23 PM

Giggity Giggity Giggity!! I hope to god that this show is as creative as family guy. Sounds like it will be, with all the political stuff going on. I always thought Family Guy did that really well. We need Stewie!!
Old 09-17-03, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

BTW, this had better include musical numbers......

"We ARE!
So awfully DIFF-rent!!"
Old 09-17-03, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm sorry, but what is a 'skein'?
Old 09-17-03, 04:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great news - this sounds like it can be awesome!
Old 08-03-04, 10:18 PM
Li

Hey, here's a link to the 6 or so minute pilot for this show. It's no Family Guy but the end was very funny.

http://www.milkandcookies.com/article/2530/
Old 08-06-04, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Pilot was pretty good, it's way too hard to tell anything from a first few shows (see: Rescue Me). Loved the goldfish though, his feelings toward the mom make him the anti-Stewie.
Old 08-06-04, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Pilot presentation order comes as Fox continues to make a major push to breed the next generation of animated skeins to join still-strong toon titans "The Simpsons" and "King of the Hill." In addition to the "American Dad" order, net has taken the unusual step of launching an initiative that will result in civilian scribes and comicbook geeks getting a chance to pitch execs their ideas for new animated shows (Daily Variety, Aug. 27).."
So only after the shows they had and wasted away do they realize that they needed them. I guess someone got thier head out of thier ass and realized that you can't live off "Temptation Island" forever.

"Animated comedy is a part of our brand, and has been for a long time," said Craig Erwich, exec VP of development at Fox Broadcasting. "You've got to make sure you've got the next ones in the pipeline -- not that the shows we have now are going anywhere."
I hope they have learned their lesson from the last batch they canned.
Old 08-06-04, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That was in no way funny whatsoever.
Old 08-06-04, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Breakfast with Girls
That was in no way funny whatsoever.
Old 08-06-04, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

way too similar to family guy (for obvious reasons)... talking animal, artsy daughter.. probably will still end up being better than most of the carp on tv
Old 08-07-04, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

crap. i didnt know this was starting in the summer
Old 08-07-04, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Venusian
crap. i didnt know this was starting in the summer
i shouldn't be. It's getting the post Superbowl spot on Fox, so unless they are only showing an episode and holding to the summer, that would be kind of dumb.
Old 08-07-04, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i didnt realize we were talking about that clip...

eh, disappointing. doesnt have the humor of family guy
Old 08-07-04, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
well, I don't think you can judge the show just on a six minute clip. Hopefully it'll be much better than what is shown.
Old 08-07-04, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll give it a chance, but not really expecting too much based on that clip. It just seemed like a very poor version of Family Guy.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.