Reload this Page >

The O.C. - 09/16/03

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The O.C. - 09/16/03

Old 09-15-03, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The O.C. - 09/16/03

By far the best episode of the show; the gang decides to go to Tijuana for a little R&R. And we get some really good dialogue going between Summer and Seth (they even sleep together!). I didn't like Peter Gallagher character's changing his job. It was a stupid reason to do so, and it was almost completely out of left field. The ending itself is a little weird; obviously she can't be dead, but now Ryan and Marissa are back to square one relationship-wise.

Last edited by huzefa; 09-17-03 at 12:10 AM.
Old 09-16-03, 09:41 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Looking forward to it...
Old 09-16-03, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts
Pretty good show - it was good to see Ryan get another good shot in on Luke.

Now we have to wait through the baseball playoffs to see if Marissa
Spoiler:
dies or not
Old 09-16-03, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

After a mildly interesting pilot which seemed to suggest this would be a series concerning the further exploration of the main characters introduced, I decided to and give this show a shot hoping against all logical hope that it would continue along in this fashion, but seeing how quickly said interesting pilot has devolved so quickly into banal and formulaic tripe, I fear my initial interest is wanning and fast. The producer's consistant need to demonstrate their lack of originality by week after tedious week inserting easily telegraphed cliff-hangers more suited to a movie-of-the-week have me bored to tears and tonight's episode was another prime example. Are we, the viewing audience, honestly expected to tremble with suspense and anticipation as to whether or not Marissa is going to survive a show which has practically just started it's run? My God, after just cutting it's inbilical cord this show already has all the markings of the latter seasons of Beverly Hills 90210.
Old 09-16-03, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by meritocracy
Are we, the viewing audience, honestly expected to tremble with suspense and anticipation as to whether or not Marissa is going to survive a show which has practically just started it's run?
No, we are just supposed to tune back once it returns in October.
Old 09-16-03, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The show is such a guilty pleasure, that I'm almost sad to know that it will die a slow death in a horrible time slot.

Plus, none of this would have happened if they had just went to ComicCon.
Old 09-17-03, 12:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why do people have to analyze what this show is all about? It is what it is. Either you like it or you don't. I happen to like it. It is entertaining. Is it going to win an Emmy for originality, no, but it had some really funny lines in the show.

After seeing Summer!

Seth : This is going to be awesome!
Dad : She's hot stuff, son.
Seth : And now it's ruined!

Well you had to be there!

Chris
Old 09-17-03, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Some random thoughts on the episode:

I love how Marissa was able to find the only bar in Tijuana that was empty.

Damn, Summer is hot. We need more of her and Seth. Less of Russell Crowe Jr. and Marissa.

It was funny how the ending tried to be so dramatic and poignant. Instead, it was so lame that it was funny.

Even though Marissa's boyfriend was being a scumbag, I was actually disappointed that Jr. punched him. I mean, the boyfriend was trying to be nice to Jr. and everything, but Jr. had to be all chivalrous and crap and crack him.

Are we to really believe that Marissa might possibly die? Come on. I would give props to the producers if they killed off Marissa. It would show some balls. Too bad that ain't gonna happen. We can hope, though.

I agree that Peter Gallagher's new job was kind of out of left field. It's obvious that the writers want to play up the possible extra-marital affairs between his wife and Tate Donovan and he and the skinny Jenny McCarthy look-alike.

Old 09-17-03, 02:20 AM

Originally posted by immortal_zeus

Are we to really believe that Marissa might possibly die? Come on. I would give props to the producers if they killed off Marissa. It would show some balls. Too bad that ain't gonna happen. We can hope, though.
Killing Marissa would cure my biggest problem with the show--It's completely by-the-numbers. Very well cast, likeable, but completely predictable. It's fun to watch, but it's just not very compelling. They kill Marissa off, and it becomes the kind of show I just have to watch, to see what comes next.

If she lives, it's just another show with pointless cliffhangers. Still fun, but much more likely to be shoved off my viewing schedule by something else.
Old 09-17-03, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
My wife (who is completely obsessed with this show) brought up a good point. I kept saying how terrible an actress the Marissa girl was, and she said "well, maybe the producers agree and this is how they're getting rid of her".

Even though there's no way they killed her off, if they did i'd have to agree with Jlbkwrm. I'd LOVE this show if they had the balls to do that.

100% agree on the "MORE SUMMER" compaign. I've been on that bandwagon since the first episode (and actually the only reason i watch).
Old 09-17-03, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by immortal_zeus
I agree that Peter Gallagher's new job was kind of out of left field. It's obvious that the writers want to play up the possible extra-marital affairs between his wife and Tate Donovan and he and the skinny Jenny McCarthy look-alike.
I could handle more of Bonnie Somerville (?) on the show.

More Summer is always a good thing. I loved it when Seth said she's into Anime and not comics.
Old 09-17-03, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sandy and lady lawyer gotta get it on, they were cute as sparring partners.
Old 09-17-03, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts
Man I love this show.
Old 09-17-03, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,010 Likes on 616 Posts
Did anyone else feel the last scene of Ryan picking up Marissa in slow-mo was reminicent of the old Incredible Hulk shows? I laughed my butt off when that happened. I explained to my wife how the Hulk would pick-up an unconscious woman like that in every episode. I was half expecting Ryan to scream or roar!

Guess I must be showing my age...
Old 09-17-03, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yep, it's got that rare quality of being cheesy, and yet so watchable all rolled into one. I felt the same way about "The Surreal Life".
Old 09-17-03, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk God

I loved the scene of Summer and Seth in the diner looking like a couple who has been married for 20+ years. Oh and it bears repeating...Summer is a hottie (kind of a hotter younger version of Katie Holmes).
Old 09-17-03, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm guessing Summer and Seth are not going to get together anytime soon; they will continue this flirting game for a while.
Old 09-17-03, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Every scene w/ Adam Brody (Seth) is a great scene. He seems to have good chemistry w/ everybody and he can deliver a line better than most actors on tv today. He stole scenes left and right on Gilmore Girls last season.
Old 09-17-03, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,010 Likes on 616 Posts
Summer is the 2003 version of Jackie off That 70's Show.
Old 09-17-03, 10:44 AM

Originally posted by brianluvdvd
Summer is the 2003 version of Jackie off That 70's Show.

Ewww!

Chris
Old 09-17-03, 11:03 AM
Suspended

i thought the dialogue was the best so far, with the bits between Summer and Seth being pretty funny and Sandy and his wife during the surfboard scene was really good. I can see right when Seth is about to get with Summer, that blonde will come back from her sailing trip can cause more drama. It's also funny how Ryan and Marissa are the least interesting pair at this point
Old 09-17-03, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by balancer
I can see right when Seth is about to get with Summer, that blonde will come back from her sailing trip can cause more drama.

Yep - good call. That blonde would have preferred going to the comic book convention rather than TJ.
Old 09-17-03, 12:11 PM
Suspended

The Seth character is the key thing holding this show up. "I love authentic Mexican culture." That was a great line.
Old 09-17-03, 12:17 PM

I love this show but that was the worst representation of TJ I have ever seen.
Old 09-17-03, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by apeyard
I love this show but that was the worst representation of TJ I have ever seen.
Yeah, it was too clean!

Chris

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.