Reload this Page >

The Flash! But is it really?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Flash! But is it really?

Old 09-14-03, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Dave Scarpa
Yeah the CBS series was pretty good at least maybe we'll get the original on DVD now
I doubt that. Fans of Lois & Clark were hoping for Season Sets of it once Smallville hit big, but WB said (in a HTF chat) that they don't have any plans for it. Maybe if Smallville: Season 1 sells good?
Old 09-14-03, 05:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 09-14-03, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kind of sounds like a new version of "Seven Days." Without seeing it I can't really make a judgement of course, but I do have some reservations about the whole time travel thing.

I don't think I ever saw the CBS version I do vaguely remember it being around, but I never got a chance to catch it. I'd definitely like to see it released on DVD so I could check it out.
Old 09-14-03, 10:45 AM

Received 774 Likes on 504 Posts
The TV movies are available at Amazon, but only on VHS.
Old 09-14-03, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,749 Likes on 1,094 Posts
Originally posted by adamblast
He's also more-or-less out of the closet these days, more so than most American actors, anyway.

Yep. I remember when The Flash was on TV. I had a gay co-worker who told me Shipp was gay. I didn't know or really care for that matter. I liked the show and him being gay never bothered me.
Old 09-15-03, 09:44 AM
Cat

I really liked the John Wesley Shipp Flash series. I still talk about it to this day, but very few people remember it. I have my doubts about this new show, but I thought the same thing about Smallville and it is my favorite show right now. I would rather they did him in the outfit though. Makes more sense.

Cat
Old 09-18-03, 10:04 AM

I am a HUGE DC comics fan. I have enjoyed just about all of the shows based on these characters (Lois and Clark, Smallville, Superboy, The Flash, Birds of Prey, Animated Batman, Superman, Justice League, etc, etc). This new Flash show just seems wrong. Why bother calling it the Flash? Like someone else above posted, just create a new show with a new character.

I enjoy Smallville and I'm not bothered by the "no tights, no flights" issue. This is a prequel about Superman before he flies and wears the cape. We know that eventually it will lead to this. I'm betting that by the time the show is finished, we will at least see the costume made and in Clark's hands.

And why does The Flash have to come from Gotham City? What the heck is up with that? The CBS Flash show was great. I'd love to see another show like that done today with the effects that are now available. The suit was awesome and so was JWS.

Now.. bring us a live action Batman show!! Can't wait for that to happen one day... hopefully it would be better than the crappy movies that they've made. Joel Schumacher should be locked up for making those horrible monstrosities!
Old 09-19-03, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Another thumbs up for the CBS Flash! I was a kid when the show came on, but I loved it. I have almost every episode on tape sitting around my house somewhere. A cool episode I remember was that one where The Flash is cloned and his clone isn't too smart. The only problem with the CBS show was that it suffered from the same thing Louis & Clark suffered from. It ran out of ideas and started having villian after villian come in to fight the superheroes. Got pretty stupid after a while.

I'm not too big on the new Flash ideas either. No costume, no brooding hero, no Amanda Pays. Seems like they want to use time travel as the selling point of the show, which may or may not work.
Old 09-19-03, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Dave Scarpa
Yeah the CBS series was pretty good at least maybe we'll get the original on DVD now
I would the first in line to buy the Season set.

I think I watched it every week it came on.
Old 09-19-03, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The CBS Flash only lasted one season, didn't it? Either way, I'd give my left nut for season set's of that. Loved it.

With that said, I don't like 'Smallville' (tho I will buy Season One - in hopes it gives WB some idea that we want more Superman *LOIS AND CLARK!!!*) . And I don't like the idea of this new Flash. Took everything that makes the Flash, the Flash away and what are you left with? Not a lot. Seems like it's just a cheap attempt to use a character name and get popular fast.

Oh and for the record.

Take that material and make a Batman outfit and you are set...Listen up Nolan!
Old 11-23-04, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
bringing back the dead just to comment on a thread I over looked. The original flash show was great. Loved it and had danny elfman's theme that sounded great. All those features (time travel, mentor, etc.) sounds right down to the mark.

Paul Dini did write something about the flash and his use in the JLU cartoons. He stated that it's hard to write for the flash because he is to damn powerful. What sort of drama can you have when the guy can go home, take a shower, change, go do some shopping and still come back in time to the scene of the crime to catch bullets mid air. He is really really powerful.

But the CBS Flash was greatly handled. I had a chance to take a look at the entire season again.
Old 11-23-04, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Giantrobo
Yep. I remember when The Flash was on TV. I had a gay co-worker who told me Shipp was gay.
Yeah. A gay "co-worker". Right.

I watched a few episodes of the original series. It was pretty good, but I like the no costume idea.
Old 11-24-04, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally posted by Goldberg74

... one of the reasons we all watched the original series!
Damn right!

I did enjoy the series as a whole, but she gave me the serious hot.
Old 11-24-04, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

He'll also have a cool 21st-century mantra that will guide his life.
Old 11-24-04, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm up for a Flash revival if it is done well.

He's also more-or-less out of the closet these days, more so than most American actors, anyway.
I did not know that.
Good for him.

I also remember seeing him in a softcore movie in the late 70s which was very intersting. I think it was called something like, The Dirtiest show in town. It's not on his resume.
Old 11-26-04, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,749 Likes on 1,094 Posts
Originally posted by Charlie Goose
Yeah. A gay "co-worker". Right.

Huh?
Old 11-27-04, 08:58 PM

Another for the CBS version. Yet another show cut down before it could find an audience.

And who could forget Mark Hamill as The Prankster. IIRC, it was that performance that led him to land the role of the Joker in B:TAS.

A must buy if it ever comes out in DVD.

John
Old 11-28-04, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Trickster.. Trickster... not prankster.. Trickster
Old 11-28-04, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, actually...

The Flash has been rumored for release sometime in 2005. Unconfirmed as of yet, but the rumors have some substance to them.

Lois and Clark, on the other hand, has been confirmed for release in early to mid 2005.