Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

interesting news on letterman tonight...

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 09-12-03, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

really surprising, i never thought the man would do it!

http://www.eonline.com/News/firstlook.html

STORK WATCH: David Letterman to announce his longtime gal-pal Regina Lasko is preggers on tonight's Late Show, reports New York's Daily News. Guest Cuba Gooding Jr., who handed him a cigar during taping, told Dave "Life is over as you know it."
should make for some interesting moments on late night!
Old 09-12-03, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yep, news all looks official. And for those wondering, he tapes two shows on Thursday, so this is news that would have been announced late Thursday.
Old 09-12-03, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cuba was on the local morning news today and confirmed it.
Old 09-12-03, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
wow.

simon & garfunkel AND dave's a daddy.

all in one ep.

now all we need is a "will it float" and an appearance by the Late Show Dancers and tonite's ep will be GOLD.
Old 09-12-03, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There's something I never thought would happen! At least not until he was Tony Randall's age. What a weird week
Old 09-12-03, 01:11 PM

So will Dave do the respectable thing now and marry her?
Old 09-13-03, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

wow! pretty cool. he joked about him being too old, well, i kind feel that way too. i'll be around dave's age now when the kid is old enough to have a legal drink. perhaps, there will be no age restrictions by then.

there seems to be quite a few letterman fans here, though you wouldn't know it from this thread, so i hope someone does a boy/girl prediction poll. they say she's due in november and because dave surrounds himself with women and seems to have a fatherly relationship with "monty," i'm going to predict that he has a baby daughter.

Julia (for ms. roberts)
Dorothy (for his mom)
Letterman
Old 09-13-03, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Spooky
I think he will. At heart, Dave is pretty "old fashioned" and I'm sure he'll want to be married before the baby is born. Isn't it sad that marriage is now considered "old fashioned?"
Old 09-13-03, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Spooky
nah, don't see that happening. he had a horrible experience with marriage and has said he won't ever marry again. this girlfriend has been around for a loooooong time!

but, hey, then again, he did shock the hell outta me with the baby news...

on a side note, i think he'll be a terrific dad. he adores kids.
Old 09-13-03, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by dolphinboy
they say she's due in november
did i miss that? who said she was due in november???

*edit* nevermind...

http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/TV/0...etterman.baby/

'Excited' Letterman to become father
Friday, September 12, 2003 Posted: 12:51 PM EDT (1651 GMT)

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Add "Dad" to the list of David Letterman's credits.

The "Late Show with David Letterman" host and his longtime girlfriend, Regina Lasko, are expecting a baby in November.

Letterman made the announcement during a taping of a show scheduled to air Friday night, a spokeswoman for the show told CNN.

"I have an announcement to make and I'll be honest with you," Letterman said during his monologue, "I'm a little bit nervous. I have some trepidations about this. I feel a little silly because it's one of those things where I thought never in my life this would happen. And here I am, 56, and by all rights it shouldn't be happening. But, there's nothing we can do about it now. And I'm terribly excited about this. I'm scared silly about this. I'm going to be a father."

The crowd in the old Ed Sullivan Theater in New York bursts into applause.

Letterman and Lasko are"both thrilled," Letterman spokesman Steven Rubenstein told CNN.

Last edited by hgar78; 09-13-03 at 11:03 AM.
Old 09-13-03, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Once again, this is something about people (especially dopey celebrities) that continues to baffle me.

They think nothing about bringing yet another child into this world.
But marriage?!?
Oh no, that's too huge a commitment, we are not ready for something like that.

Last time I checked, if you later decide a mistake has been made, a marriage can be fairly easily dissolved.
But a child!?! Now *that's* pretty much a long term commitment that you can't just walk away from.

I don't get it.
Old 09-13-03, 06:29 PM
Suspended

Uh, 'cause dude's rich and will dump the chick once she delivers the baby? He's got no commitment, and don't have to do crap about it.

How old's letterman? 60? The man's sick. The kid will probably come out looking like 30.
Old 09-13-03, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by FuzzyBallz
Uh, 'cause dude's rich and will dump the chick once she delivers the baby? He's got no commitment, and don't have to do crap about it.

Sure he has a commitment. If he is the father he's legally and finacially responsible for the kid for the next 18 years.

Get married with a solid pre-nup and he can dump the babe worry free. End of story. Move on to the next one.

Plus, you don't have to worry about when your kid is 14, gets hooked on pills and enters rehab which gets splashed all over the tabloids.
Who the hell needs all that crap?
Old 09-14-03, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

what makes you think he's going to dump her because of the baby??? he said he's really excited, plus he loves children so i totally believe him.

and btw, i don't think marriage will solve anything. they've been together for 10 years, at least, who do they have to prove? if they don't want to get married and they're happy the way things are, why do it? just because you're having a baby?
Old 09-14-03, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I didn't say I thought he would want to dump her, FuzzyBallz did.

I just think the whole thing is back asswards.
Ok, they are in a commited relationship and (apparently) love each other. That's great.
But no way are they ready for marriage, they are only ready to bring children into this world?!

*If* they ever did decide in the future to split up, a marriage would be a hell of a lot easier to break up then a kid.

It just doesn't make any sense.

So let's say they *do* stay together and when the kid is 12 he asks his "parents" why they never got married.

What are you going to answer?
"We always wanted to keep our options open"
"We didn't love each other *that* much"
"Didn't feel like dealing with all the legal crap"
"Tried it once and didn't care for it"

Might as well start putting away money for the kid's therapy now.
Old 09-14-03, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Phil L.
I didn't say I thought he would want to dump her, FuzzyBallz did.

I just think the whole thing is back asswards.
Ok, they are in a commited relationship and (apparently) love each other. That's great.
But no way are they ready for marriage, they are only ready to bring children into this world?!

*If* they ever did decide in the future to split up, a marriage would be a hell of a lot easier to break up then a kid.

It just doesn't make any sense.

So let's say they *do* stay together and when the kid is 12 he asks his "parents" why they never got married.

What are you going to answer?
"We always wanted to keep our options open"
"We didn't love each other *that* much"
"Didn't feel like dealing with all the legal crap"
"Tried it once and didn't care for it"

Might as well start putting away money for the kid's therapy now.
i'm just saying that not everyone feels marriage is the answer to their relationship. if they are happy with the way things are, and they've never felt they needed to make things legal, then why should the entrance of a child change that? it does not mean they love each other less and it doesn't show that either is ready to leave if things get bad. (btw, i think he did mention that they are discussing marriage)

my dad is in a relationship like this. they've been together for over 10 years and they don't see how a certificate will change anything. they've both been married before and have choosen not to do it again. granted, it will prove difficult at times, when their kids might be faced with dividing up their property, but hopefully, they'll figure that out in advance...

on the other hand, i've been in a relationship for 8 years and i would really like to get married, but we just haven't been in a situation where we could just yet. we're both still in school finishing our graduate degrees. i think it just depends on the people...but either way, i don't think it should reflect on the themselves or their level of committment.
Old 09-14-03, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I understand what you are saying and mostly agree.

I just feel that having a child is a thousand times bigger commitment then getting married.
But what do I know? If it works it works I guess.

Anyway, I've already hijacked this TV thread enough.
It's been fun talking this stuff over though.
Old 09-14-03, 10:34 PM

I know he has been with this girlfriend for a good while before this announcement. Anyone know how old she is? It stands to reason that she probably isn't a spring chicken if they have been together a while. I realize she can't be anywhere near his age, but I am curious.
Old 09-15-03, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by johnglad
I know he has been with this girlfriend for a good while before this announcement. Anyone know how old she is? It stands to reason that she probably isn't a spring chicken if they have been together a while. I realize she can't be anywhere near his age, but I am curious.
i believe one of the articles said she was 43.
Old 11-04-03, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

well, tuned in tonight and paul is hosting because dave's at the hospital with his g/f. i predict it'll be a girl.
Old 11-04-03, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Originally posted by hgar78
well, tuned in tonight and paul is hosting because dave's at the hospital with his g/f. i predict it'll be a girl.
Yeah, my wife ran into them at work yesterday (she delivers babies for the rich and famous). No excuse on Paul's monologue; this was planned since last week.

She said close up, he's a LOT skinnier than you would think; guess a heart incident can put the fear of God in you.........
Old 11-04-03, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Ooops, said too much.

This hasn't hit the news yet.......

Last edited by Jobronie; 11-04-03 at 10:33 AM.
Old 11-04-03, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jobronie
Dave was genuinely moved by the birth.
Was it a Boy or Girl??
Old 11-04-03, 10:17 AM

Lucky baby. Rich dad that will die while she's still young and can enjoy the money.
Old 11-04-03, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

David has a baby boy, named Harry after his Letterman's late father.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.