Reload this Page >

Falling in Love ... All Over Again

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 09-09-03, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The nature of television is such that it's really difficult to revisit great series with any significant frequency. Whenever I want to bask in the masterpiece that is 2001, I can dedicate a couple of hours to it and move on; but for a great television series, it requires so much time and energy that the oppotunity to revisit its greatness is difficult to come by.

When FX picked up the Buffy reruns, I realized that I hadn't seen most of those episodes in years, and it was an interesting feeling to watch them again after some distance. For years I had found myself defending the series to the ignorant masses who had dismissed it -- without actually seeing it -- because it had a silly name and a unique premise. I had become so used to defending it that the statements I made about its quality were made more out of habit, and there was almost an unintentional emotional disconnect that formed. Watching those episodes again was a refreshing reminder of why I gave the show so much praise in the first place, and I was able to fall in love with the series all over again.

Over the weekend, I was treated to the same experience again as I broke out my Babylon 5 DVDs. My boycott of the Sci-Fi (sic) Channel combined with simply a lack of any free time gave me some distance, and I just wasn't able to get around to it until now. As I was watching, I was struck with the following thought: "holy crap ... this show kicks ass!" In my mind, I knew this. I've been promoting it to death on this forum and even publicly stated 3 years ago that by the end of the decade, it would be more popular than Star Trek. I've heh heh heh'd the poor newbies and delighted in my love for the series, but after a time, it became almost routine. Over the years, the emotional love transformed into an intellectual understanding of the obvious. I never lost faith ... I never thought, "maybe the show's not as good as I remembered it" ... but there's a small and unavoidable emotional detachment that comes from time apart. Comparing a television series to a loved one is somewhat silly, but it's not unlike spending time apart from a SO and then reuniting and remembering why s/he's your SO in the first place. It's kind of a wonderful thing.

I'm not sure if there's a point to this post, but I figured I'd share. Perhaps others have had a similar experience.

das
Old 09-09-03, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Heh heh heh.

Old 09-09-03, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Between the DVDs, a certain unnamed network and a few tapes: I'm finally able to watch Babylon 5, the movies, and Crusade all in order and in a short period of time.

Although it's my third viewing of the series (I think the original Star Trek is the only one with more complete viewings), my enjoyment of it only grows with each trip.
Old 09-09-03, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does anyone know sure when/if Sci-Fi will start re-airing B5 in order?
Old 09-09-03, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by djbrown
Does anyone know sure when/if Sci-Fi will start re-airing B5 in order?
You're asking at the right time: according to their website (and my TiVo), they begin reairing on Monday Sep 15th.
Old 09-09-03, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Chew
You're asking at the right time: according to their website (and my TiVo), they begin reairing on Monday Sep 15th.
Cool. When I checked 6 weeks ago or so I knew it was close to around this time, but not quite that close. Thanks.

BTW, looking at the schedule on the Sci-Fi website, it appears that 'Parliament of Dreams' (episode 5, Season 1) is airing on September 11. And we have to wait a full month between 'Believers' and 'Survivors'.

Bummer. At least I'll be able to catch up on Buffy, Angel and the West Wing.

I know there's been some discussions here of late (which I've avoided to go in 'spoiler-free') about when to watch each of the "movies" or whatever that go along with the series. Is it general consensus that those are mandatory viewing, or will the series, as aired on Sci-Fi, be sufficient?

Last edited by djbrown; 09-09-03 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-09-03, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I know there's been some discussions here of late (which I've avoided to go in 'spoiler-free') about when to watch each of the "movies" or whatever that go along with the series. Is it general consensus that those are mandatory viewing, or will the series, as aired on Sci-Fi, be sufficient?
Certainly not mandatory, but if you're going to watch the series: you'll eventually consider it necessary.

The movies add to the series. "In the Beginning" fills in a lot of the backstory. "A Call to Arms" is a required bridge from B5 to the Crusade spin-off.
Old 09-09-03, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I know there's been some discussions here of late (which I've avoided to go in 'spoiler-free') about when to watch each of the "movies" or whatever that go along with the series.
This post* should be considered mandatory reading for anyone with your question.

And it's spoiler free.

BTW, I missed the first season (or two?) of West Wing. And am enjoying the HELL outta them on Bravo. Damn_good show!

das, you can just paypal the usual referral fee.
Old 09-12-03, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Anyone desiring a large boat anchor need look no further. Apparently, there's one attached to each of my threads.

das

Old 09-12-03, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 09-12-03, 09:14 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
das - heh heh heh

[Bando dances a jig at finally being able to use that line on das, even though it really doesn't apply because das has seen the entire series, but anyone who points that out will only ruin Bando's fun, and he really doesn't have all that much to live for and you wouldn't want to be responsible for him spiraling into a deep depression, would you?]

Old 09-12-03, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Jump.

"Jump now!"

Old 09-12-03, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The wheel turns.

Spoiler:
"If you go to Z'ha'dum, you will die."

das