Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

MTV spider man.. WHY MTV? WHY?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 09-06-03, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, so it's a full hour right. they show the first part of a two part story in the first half hour and in the second they show another new episode that had nothing to do with the first. Why is MTV screwing up with the order of air date. I wouldn't be surprised if they actually showed part 2 of the story some weeks back.
Old 09-06-03, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually, the second episode was a rerun last night. It aired last week, I think. They've been in this pattern for a while now. 10:00 is new, and 10:30 is the new one from the previous week.
Old 09-06-03, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Grenadier
Actually, the second episode was a rerun last night. It aired last week, I think. They've been in this pattern for a while now. 10:00 is new, and 10:30 is the new one from the previous week.
Yup, episode 2 last night was a repeat of last weeks.

Edit: was cool to hear Stan Lee lending his voice to a character!

Last edited by Chew; 09-06-03 at 09:19 AM.
Old 09-06-03, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I've got 3 weeks of Spider-Man episodes on my ReplayTV, and have very little interest in watching them. I have the same reaction to the last 3 episodes of Charmed from 4 months ago that are still on my ReplayTV.
Old 09-06-03, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I missed last night's episode, but it's not due to lack of interest, I assure you. I also was forced to miss the season premier of Grounded for Life. I just got busy with other crap I had to get done by Saturday for work. I think the Spider Man series is quite enjoyable. I do wish it followed the formula that works so well for the Ultimate line. I feel that the shortcoming of the series is that there are too few characters in Peter's life, and in the comics and the movie, he's got several people in his personal life that ultimately affects his life as Spider Man. Hell, you don't even have Aunt May!
Old 09-06-03, 01:46 PM

FYI I'm fairly sure next week is the season finnale. I've enjoyed what I've seen so far. Like Bendis's comics, this show definately tells an interesting and captivating story.

Just to be nitpicky the product placement is kind of lame. I do like the new take on Silver Sable though. Hopefully this will come out on DVD.
Old 09-06-03, 02:11 PM

Originally posted by fahmad
Hopefully this will come out on DVD.
I think its supposed to be released in early January.
Old 09-06-03, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
MTV really has screwed up the order they play these in.
Old 09-06-03, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
MTV really has screwed up the order they play these in.
Not at all.

If you know the MTV pattern, it makes sense. You're only supposed to watch the first episode -- the second is typical MTV scheduling:

When a new episode of The Real World aiirs, the previous episode airs directly before it.

When a new episode of The Osbournes aired, the previous episode would air directly after it.

MTV shows its programming in blocks, just get in the pattern of watching the new one only.
Old 09-07-03, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

MTV does it with all of their shows, you just have to watch the commercials and see when they play
Old 09-07-03, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm talking about story wise. take for example the first spidey they showed. had the electro character in it being one of peter's friends. five episodes later the friend is there ordering coffee in his normal human self. seems like that one should have made it on air before the first episode. a lot of other character developement has been jumped around, skipped over and shuffled. One episode MJ and spidey have chemistry and you can tell it's leading up.. next episode takes place way before the past one and the chemistry is still building up.

to make an mtv example of this is say, by showing the fifth Osbourne espisode where plot lines are in high gear and you really can't follow it to well since you are not sure of the past episodes and then during mid season show the first one introducing characters and their motives.
Old 09-07-03, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I hate it. I hate the art style. The story. The voice acting. Ugh.
I don't think it captures the character at all.
Old 09-07-03, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also on this weeks show they had Kraven as if he already fought Spiderman and I don't think they even aired his debut yet.
Old 09-07-03, 10:54 PM

I think it does one hell of a job capturing the characters. Neil Patrick Harris captures the quippish Spiderman spirit much better than Tobey, MJ is hotter than Kirsten Dunst and has a much more spirited personality that her movie counterpart, and Harry...is just kind of there. I love the acrobatics and the things that can only be done on a drawing board that this series incorporates and the movie, i think, lacked. I love the movie and I love this series. I just don't love how the episodes are shown out of order.
Old 09-08-03, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
I really like this. I almost felt bad when MJ was stabbed by the venom dart even though we know it wasn't real. I think this is probably the best comic cartoon since the early 90's X-men.
Old 09-08-03, 05:49 AM

Eh? Do any of you remember John Semper's excellent Spider-Man animated series? I own the entire run of that series and it captured the comic's perfectly. This new series does a complete injustice to the comic / cartoon legacy of Spiderman. I expect and hope this series dies once Spiderman 2's run is over with. Then again, I hated the Spiderman movie, because I felt it was also a disgrace to the comic.
Old 09-08-03, 07:43 AM

Originally posted by Deftones
I really like this. I almost felt bad when MJ was stabbed by the venom dart even though we know it wasn't real. I think this is probably the best comic cartoon since the early 90's X-men.
Old 09-08-03, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally posted by LivingINClip
Eh? Do any of you remember John Semper's excellent Spider-Man animated series? I own the entire run of that series and it captured the comic's perfectly. This new series does a complete injustice to the comic / cartoon legacy of Spiderman. I expect and hope this series dies once Spiderman 2's run is over with. Then again, I hated the Spiderman movie, because I felt it was also a disgrace to the comic.
the one in the 90's also? It was good, but I think this more closely captures the true nature of Spiderman. I don't recall that Spiderman being the smart alecky nerd that we all know him to be.
Old 09-08-03, 10:59 AM

I agree with Deftones on this one. The ealry 90's one was great (Hell, i grew up watching it) but this new series offers much more in the way of displaying the comic-ness of Spiderman, in addition to providing the action, drama, and conflict that we've all come to love about the series. The early 90's one was great, but this one is charming in a way that the earlier one couldn't have been.
Old 09-08-03, 12:10 PM
Cat

I like any of the scenes with Spider-Man in them, but the animation other times just plain sucks. The voice acting is horrible and really distracts me from the show. I usually just FF to any scenes with Spider-Man and then delete it from the Tivo.

Cat
Old 09-08-03, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
I'm OK with it, but sweet baby jesus will they please CHANGE THE CHARACTERS' CLOTHING ONCE IN A WHILE?? Every episode I watch Peter's wearing that damn black and white shirt. C'mon, is animating a different color that hard?
Old 09-08-03, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

MJ is hotter than Kirsten Dunst and has a much more spirited personality that her movie counterpart,
You do realize that MJ in the cartoon is Polygons right..

Real > Fake.

Old 09-08-03, 11:50 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Sierra Disc
I'm OK with it, but sweet baby jesus will they please CHANGE THE CHARACTERS' CLOTHING ONCE IN A WHILE?? Every episode I watch Peter's wearing that damn black and white shirt. C'mon, is animating a different color that hard?
I may have already asked this in another thread, but did Peter wear the same clothes in the 90's cartoon that he wears in the current one? That black and white shirt looks really familiar.

I absolutely love this show, but it's totally ridiculous how little detail is in the backgrounds and that the characters always wear the same clothes. I don't really mind because the character animation is so amazing IMO, but it does seem like it would add very little to the budget to add a little detail to the background and at least vary the colors on the character's clothes.

As far as the previous Marvel cartoons go, I found them all fairly lifeless compared to the MTV Spider-Man. The current cartoon has the most amazing action I've ever seen on TV and they're able to have really intense action without sacrificing fun.
Old 09-09-03, 12:38 AM

Jackskeleton - If you like scrunched up, flat as hell face of Kirsten Dunst over anything, far be it from me to tell you otherwise. I just think that the animated MJ is a welcome departure from the manliness that is Kirsten Dunst.

Also, the clothes are different. In the early 90's show, Peter wears a green shirt with the sleeves rolled up and jeans.
Old 09-09-03, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

You missed my point...

Real as in Not drawn or rendered

fake as in drawn rendered

Real is better then fake.

simple logic right? that's like saying "Oh, those chicks from DOA beach volleyball are soooo much hotter then say Pam anderson or Nicole kidman"

Real > Fake.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.