Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

ESPN's PLAYMAKERS - Week 2 (9/2)

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-03, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ESPN's PLAYMAKERS - Week 2 (9/2)

Looking forward to this episode. A promising start last week has me excited for the upcoming shows.
Old 09-02-03, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hopefully it starts picking up this week. Last week's episode was kind of boring to me.
Old 09-02-03, 07:42 PM

Yes I'm also looking foward to tonight's episode. Last week's show was very good, this show has a lot of promise.
Old 09-02-03, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought this week's show was pretty poor. All of a sudden everyone's a narrator, and nobody is likeable, except the linebacker.
Old 09-02-03, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah....i'm not terribly impressed thusfar....the narration really needs to go. We get it....

They took a step back this week....i'll give it one or two more, but at this rate I don't see this having much staying power.....there just seems to be too much drama. Someone on the team has to be dealing with something a tad less heavy.
Old 09-03-03, 01:20 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
I liked this episode better then last weeks.

The QB is the only story that really interests me right now.
Old 09-03-03, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked this episode better than last week's also.
Old 09-03-03, 05:15 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

so what happened???
Old 09-03-03, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I liked this weeks episode a little more too. DH's story is pretty typical.

Spoiler:
Star thinks he's bigger than the league and gets away with everything. The linebacker's story is very interesting. The kicker's story was pretty sad because you know they don't make much and good ones are hard to find. The quarterback's story really suprised me. I was under the assumption that when most players made it to that level they normally do what it takes to play without regard to their health. I like all the drama thats involved with this show. I feel like I'm getting sucked into their stories. Makes me curious as to whats going to unfold. The only thing I do not like is that it's setup like a soap opera. You could have missed a week and pretty much pickup in the middle without being lost. There is some story unfolding but it seems to be more week to week. You can pretty much figure out whats going on in the middle. Overall I like it. Beats all the reality TV on all the time.
Old 09-03-03, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can't NObody touch me!!
Old 09-03-03, 05:36 PM

I also thought the second episode was better than the first, I can see where you are coming from with the narration though, it does get old fast. I highly doubt them using the narration through the whole series though, but possibly.
Old 09-03-03, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Chris Spielman was on the Dan Patrick show today and dissed Playmakers pretty good....just said it was waaaayyy to much of a soap opera. FWIW.
Old 09-03-03, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by brizz
Chris Spielman was on the Dan Patrick show today and dissed Playmakers pretty good....just said it was waaaayyy to much of a soap opera. FWIW.
I have nothing against Spielman, but he did come off as a very moralistic guy who would never watch any HBO original or even half of primetime sitcoms or dramas because they portray they're naughty, it seemed that the language and mature subjects were his main objections.

Is it soap...yeah, like Boston Public, all that stuff can't possibly happen in one school!
Old 09-04-03, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think it's been pretty lame so far. How long can they go with the cliche storylines and characters? The pillpopping QB, the tortured soul, the over-the-hill back, the young star, etc. I'd rather watch a really interesting show about interesting people who HAPPEN to be professional athletes. I'd rather watch two guys fighting over a game of PS2 than some guy smoking up 30 minutes before a game.
Old 09-05-03, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Man, NFL guys are not being kind to this show....I heard Kyle Turley on the Dan Patrick Show today and he just bashed it completely....said it was ridiculously overly melodramatic....he was pretty funny about it actually. And yes, the more I think about it, the more ridiculous the whole smoking crack 20 minutes before the game story was....they had a good laugh over that one.....
Old 09-05-03, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by brizz
Man, NFL guys are not being kind to this show....I heard Kyle Turley on the Dan Patrick Show today and he just bashed it completely....said it was ridiculously overly melodramatic....he was pretty funny about it actually. And yes, the more I think about it, the more ridiculous the whole smoking crack 20 minutes before the game story was....they had a good laugh over that one.....
Well what are they supposed to say..."Yeah that's EXACTLY how it is!" ?

Don't think so.
Old 09-05-03, 06:09 PM

Originally posted by TruGator
Well what are they supposed to say..."Yeah that's EXACTLY how it is!" ?

Don't think so.
Agree. I'm sure they'd all say they are never worried about "The Piss Man" (even though that is a stupid name and they kept saying it over and over...), they don't do drugs, and they don't worry about losing their job...

This show is meant to be dramatic. It isn't a comedy or action show.

I, too, would like an NFL type "The Season", but no team would want to do it....
Old 09-08-03, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I for one will continue to watch it. I don't know why.
Old 09-08-03, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally posted by Kromax
I for one will continue to watch it. I don't know why.

Same here. I hope they get away from this whole drug angle soon. They totally pulled the urine exchange from The Program albeit it was more graphically portrayed in Playmakers. The only interesting plotline so far has been the LB dealing with crippling that player.

It just seems like btwn Any Given Sunday, The Program, and Varsity Blues, I have seen this story told before and done far better.