Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Anyone Looking Forward to ESPN's "Playmakers?"

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-03, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Anyone Looking Forward to ESPN's "Playmakers?"

This looks like it could be a REALLY good series, and I'm kind of surprised it hasn't been done before on a HBO or Showtime.

The first show on Tuesday is commercial free...what do you all think about it? Will you tune in?
Old 08-25-03, 01:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont think so, I saw Any Given Sunday so I dont need a series where they take everything that is wrong with pro football and stuff it all into one show. Id much rather see the HBO training camp show that they have. Why couldnt ESPN do something like that where they follow a team around all preseason and show that. To me that seems to be more what ESPN is about and not their "Original Programming"
Old 08-25-03, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yeah, well I like both shows. HBO Hardknocks is great. I thought Any Given Sunday was pretty bad and forgetable...

I think this can be interesting though. The only thing I'm worried about is them going overboard on the negative image of athletes.
Old 08-25-03, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mentioning ESPN Original Entertainment along with HBO Original Series is like comparing an outline of my hand entitled "Turkey" to the collected works of Picasso. With the exception of PTI, they've really dropped the ball, and it seems they're more interested in non-stop promotion and attempts to appear "edgy" than a focus on quality or accuracy.

Still, this could very well be the exception, and I'll certainly tune in to find out. The way they've promoted the thing, it just looks like a shameless attempt to exploit the darker side of professional sports. However, taking a deeper look, I notice there's some real talent behind the pilot. Scott Brazil has proven he knows what he's doing on The Shield, and John Eisendrath's done some great work on Alias. In fact both of them secured a spot on my Top 50 for last year. That's enough to give me some hope that there may be some depth on this show. We'll find out soon enough.

das
Old 08-25-03, 02:35 AM

Re: Anyone Looking Forward to ESPN's "Playmakers?"

Originally posted by PacMan2006
This looks like it could be a REALLY good series, and I'm kind of surprised it hasn't been done before on a HBO or Showtime.
HBO had something like this back in the 80's. Think it was called "First and Ten"

edit: billed as a sitcom, it ran from 84-91.

Last edited by Judge Smails; 08-25-03 at 02:47 AM.
Old 08-25-03, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm just watching for the hookups with the hot chicks.
Old 08-25-03, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
1st and Ten was hilarious.

I dont think so, I saw Any Given Sunday so I dont need a series where they take everything that is wrong with pro football and stuff it all into one show. Id much rather see the HBO training camp show that they have. Why couldnt ESPN do something like that where they follow a team around all preseason and show that. To me that seems to be more what ESPN is about and not their "Original Programming"

We'll see how much the NFL likes this show when the next television contract comes up. My feeling is that we may be watching NFL Sunday Night Football on the new NFL channel down the road.
Old 08-25-03, 08:20 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
While what we really need is another drama series about cops or doctors, this looks interesting. I'll watch the first episode and take it from there.
Old 08-25-03, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Red Dog
My feeling is that we may be watching NFL Sunday Night Football on the new NFL channel down the road.
ESPN = ABC = Disney. i highly doubt it.

i'm looking forward to the show, but i think it'll have a hard time without swearing or nudity...
Old 08-25-03, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by mkdevo
ESPN = ABC = Disney. i highly doubt it.

i'm looking forward to the show, but i think it'll have a hard time without swearing or nudity...

The NFL is not creating this channel just to show NFL Films highlights for the next century. They certainly must be making plans to cut out the middle man and sell commercial time themselves at least in one of the broadcast windows.
Old 08-26-03, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well I was looking forward to it but if I see any more commercials for it than probably not
Old 08-26-03, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll be checking out the first couple episodes to see if it's worth it.

I just hope they go beyond the cliche storylines I've been reading about in articles about the series.
Old 08-26-03, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Because it's ESPN I will check it out, but I'm not expecting much. If this show was done on Showtime of HBO I might be more interested, but without adult content I just don't think it will be believable. Guess we'll see.
Old 08-26-03, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Got a good review in the Wash Post today.
Old 08-26-03, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

espn.com's "The Sports Guy" just gave it a not-so-glowing review. Apparently, the characters do do some cursing.
Old 08-26-03, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
One of the head honchos from ESPN was just on the 'FAN promoting this. Francesa was tearing him a new one regarding: the network, the show, the ESPYs, you name it......
Old 08-26-03, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm looking forward to not having to sit through 90 seconds of "Playmakers" promo before my daily fix of "The Budweiser Hot Seat."

The promos have turned me off, but I likely wouldn't have watched it anyway since anything that follows an "eoe" graphic makes me want to puke.

but that's just my opinion
Old 08-26-03, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
The only time you didn't havr to see commercials for this show is during the show... Go figure

Shadow
Old 08-27-03, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

so... what did you guys think?

i think it has some potential... i'll be watching again next week.. glad to see there's some swearing in there though... no f-bombs, but the gave you a d*** and an a-hole in the first minute!

gotta say though, that game time countdown clock is a total rip-off of 24... same font and everything.. and was it me, or did the closing song sound like a complete rip-off of the sopranos theme??
Old 08-27-03, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

whoops... didn't see the other thread...
Old 08-27-03, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally posted by mkdevo

gotta say though, that game time countdown clock is a total rip-off of 24... same font and everything..
Well, what font do you expect for a clock? Choices are pretty limited.
Old 08-27-03, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

well yeah, but... flashing it up on the screen for 5 seconds every so often... just very 24....