The Babylon 5 Season THREE Discussion Thread

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Babylon 5 Season THREE Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-03, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd like to be there too. Bando - PLEASE give us a detailed recap of Severed Dreams and your reactions.
Old 08-17-03, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jlbkwrm
Having just finished a marathon-viewing of the DVDs (Oh, come on, I dare you to try stopping if you don't have to), I feel compelled to say this about Z'ha'dum:

Spoiler:
GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

I mean, setting aside the Sheridan part, there was the completely out-of-left-field Garibaldi thing and... Gah. Gahgahgah.
Kicks you in the butt, doesn't it...?
Old 08-17-03, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,820 Likes on 1,939 Posts
Originally posted by Seeker
Kicks you in the butt, doesn't it...?
Oh hell yeah.

I remember when I first saw it. It was when it was first broadcast. No internet for me, and I literally had NO idea what was going to happen.

I can remember feeling my heart literally POUNDING in my chest as the events of that episode unfolded.

And I had learned to expect the unexpected from this show... but I just wasn't prepared for what would go down. I mean, I SHOULD'VE seen it coming...

...and the speech at the end. WOW. Mind-blowing stuff.

But what's really funny is that the first episode of the fourth season aired the week after the third season finale, so we didn't have to wait long to see what happened next.
Old 08-17-03, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
Oh hell yeah.

I remember when I first saw it. It was when it was first broadcast. No internet for me, and I literally had NO idea what was going to happen.

I can remember feeling my heart literally POUNDING in my chest as the events of that episode unfolded.

And I had learned to expect the unexpected from this show... but I just wasn't prepared for what would go down. I mean, I SHOULD'VE seen it coming...

...and the speech at the end. WOW. Mind-blowing stuff.

But what's really funny is that the first episode of the fourth season aired the week after the third season finale, so we didn't have to wait long to see what happened next.
yeah that's where WE get the benefit - we saw it one week later, everyone buying the DVDs has to wait till... whenever.
Old 08-18-03, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The day is here at last. First some ground rules: I will be posting a new episode for discussion every M-F until the end of Season 3. That episode and all that came before it are open for discussion. Any events that take place after (or you think take place) require use of spoiler tags.

And so it begins......

Today's Episode: Matters of Honor

While an Earth official investigates the mystery ship encountered by Lt. Keffer in hyperspace, Londo attempts to sever his ties with Morden. Sheridan receives a new tool in the fight against the Shadows.
Was the White Star constructed with Sheridan in mind? Giving it that name seems certain to stir up resentment among the warrior caste when they find out about it, especially if it turns out that the man they call Starkiller was the intended commander from the start. (Sheridan destroyed the Minbari cruiser Black Star in the Earth-Minbari War.)

Is the former Shadow presence on Narn related to the fact that there are no Narn telepaths? ("The Gathering") Given how unpleasant -- even painful -- being near the Shadows was for Talia ("In the Shadow of Z'ha'dum") perhaps prolonged exposure to the Shadows caused so much trouble for Narn telepaths that they didn't survive to breed new generations of telepaths.

Sheridan has now destroyed two indestructible enemy vessels in his career.

The Centauri automated defense systems appear to be able to track the White Star, evidence that Centauri weapons technology is more advanced than Earth's ("Points of Departure.")
Old 08-18-03, 11:58 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 590 Likes on 338 Posts
That is one kick-ass ship! I wonder how it will do in a direct battle with a Shadow ship.
Old 08-18-03, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chew
[B]The day is here at last. First some ground rules: I will be posting a new episode for discussion every M-F until the end of Season 3. That episode and all that came before it are open for discussion. Any events that take place after (or you think take place) require use of spoiler tags.

ok, time for me to stop reading this thread then, lol.

last week I broke down and ordered Season 1-3 from Amazon.ca and the pilot from DDD. I hope they arrive soon.......and I hope I like this show as much as you rabid fans do!
Old 08-18-03, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by garmonbozia
ok, time for me to stop reading this thread then, lol.

last week I broke down and ordered Season 1-3 from Amazon.ca and the pilot from DDD. I hope they arrive soon.......and I hope I like this show as much as you rabid fans do!
Wow, that's a pretty huge investment in a show you've never seen! But, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Now you just have to watch all of them and catch up before we finish our Season 3 discussions.

Last edited by Chew; 08-18-03 at 02:00 PM.
Old 08-18-03, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Chew
Wow, that's a pretty huge investment in a show you've never seen! But, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Now you just have to watch all of them and catch up before we finish our Season 3 discussions.
yeah, every once and a while I do crazy things with money I don't really have.... last week when I finished the Buffy and Angel dvds, I got desperate and was online at a weak moment, lol
computers are bad.

lol, I doubt I'll catch up before this thread is done (are you discussing an episode a day?), but I'll definitely be checking it out when I do get to the end.....

were there similar threads for the first two seasons?
Old 08-18-03, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by garmonbozia
were there similar threads for the first two seasons?
We didn't do a first season thread, but the second can be found here

Just make sure you save the flip side of the pilot disc for later as detailed in this thread.
Old 08-18-03, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts
My one question for this episode is really just hypothetical - how did the Shadows know about the Rangers? Delenn delivered the huge speech to Sheridan about moving in secret being their only chance for victory but if they know about the Rangers I'm guessing the cat's out of the bag.

BTW, the White Star is a sweet ship...
Old 08-18-03, 04:16 PM
Enormous Genitals

Just watched "Point of No Return". Things are really heating up.

Now I have to get a quiet, uninterrupted hour to watch "Severed Dreams".
Old 08-18-03, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Chew
We didn't do a first season thread, but the second can be found here

Just make sure you save the flip side of the pilot disc for later as detailed in this thread.
thanks for the links. I have a general idea about the order of all the episodes and the films (I did a bit of research before deciding to buy the season sets) and printed out the order of things from a few different sites (there are a few differences in opinions).

My question is this: Are the episodes on the discs in the order they aired or in the order that the creator thinks they should be viewed?
And do most people here think that the order the episodes are in on the discs is the correct order?

Thanks!
Old 08-18-03, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

they are in both order of aired and the way the creator thinks it should be viewed. B5 is a big story arc
Old 08-19-03, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by strife
they are in both order of aired and the way the creator thinks it should be viewed. B5 is a big story arc
Hmmm, not entirely true. I don't want to spoil anything for the future, but (just as one example) there is a third season episode that was broadcast after another set of episodes which really took place before said episodes.

Was this (episode) supposed to come before "********"?
Correct. Initially we'd wanted to put "*****" in first, but that would have meant airing only "********" in that sweeps period, and having to wait until the fall for "********", which seemed not only excessive but remarkably stupid. So we reversed the shooting/airing order to accommodate that, and the fact that we knew we'd need a LOT of EFX in "********", and this would give us time to do it properly.

Will the order be corrected when TNT airs the series?
Not really, because it doesn't make *that* much difference to risk confusing them about it....
I removed all the title names so as to not be a spoiler. (This comes from the Lurker's Guide)

But, I would most certainly watch the episodes in the order the DVD set presents them.
Old 08-19-03, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Today's Episode: Convictions

A series of bombings threatens the station, and Ivanova calls on some unusual investigators to help solve the mystery.
Londo apparently doesn't place absolute faith in the dream of his death twenty years in the future ("Midnight on the Firing Line," "The Coming of Shadows.") Otherwise he wouldn't have been afraid he was going to die in the elevator. (Which isn't to say he wouldn't have still tried to call for help, of course.)

Lennier's own convictions, namely his prohibition against lying except to save face for another, seem to have weakened since his arrival, despite his pledge to do penance later. On the other hand, perhaps he justified it in his mind by figuring he was saving face for the obnoxious man by getting him to stop making a fool of himself.
Old 08-19-03, 06:21 AM
Enormous Genitals

Eh, I thought "Convictions" was okay. By any other show's standards, it was solid, but it did little to advance the plt here.

I watched "Severed Dreams" last night. Oh. My. God.

Spoiler:
Delenn: "The only human to ever defeat the Minbari in battle is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else." Hell yeah!
Old 08-19-03, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Bandoman

Spoiler:
Delenn: "The only human to ever defeat the Minbari in battle is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else." Hell yeah!
Old 08-19-03, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Convictions" is a decent episode. I think it basically sets up the events for "Passing Through Gethsemane." It also allows Londo to have a quiet moment in light of all the crap he's pulled thus far
Spoiler:
and of course for all the crap he'll pull later that I won't get into.

I really can't wait till I get back home so I can watch "Severed Dreams" again! Bandoman, that line you quotes is from one of the best scenes in the entire series IMO.
Old 08-19-03, 07:32 AM

Agh... must...avoid..being...anal...retentive..

Sorry, can't do it. That quote actually goes...

Spoiler:
"Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else."

Sure, it's a small difference, but the details are everything

My one question for this episode is really just hypothetical - how did the Shadows know about the Rangers? Delenn delivered the huge speech to Sheridan about moving in secret being their only chance for victory but if they know about the Rangers I'm guessing the cat's out of the bag.
Well, it's because.... err... you see, the Shadows.... uhh...

Heck, that's a damn good question. I've seen the whole series, but I don't have a good answer for that.
Old 08-19-03, 08:03 AM
Enormous Genitals

xVladx - thanks for the correction, I was quoting from memory and I've seen it only once, but you're right - the details are everything.

This is a series I'm going to really enjoy watching a second time. And a third. And a fourth. And...well, you get the idea.
Old 08-19-03, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by xVladx
Agh... must...avoid..being...anal...retentive..
I dare you to not watch Monk.

It’s not incumbent of us to know how the Shadows know about the Rangers, is it? I mean, if you go down that road, you’ll be reading “Nitpicker’s Guide to…” and wondering just how it is that automatic doors (in just about any scifi work) know when you’re done with them? Or making sure everyone gets their quotes correct?

It’s a small detail. Look at it from the POV of the viewer. We don’t see what goes on from the Shadow POV, which is as it should be. If we’re surprised they know about the Rangers, that is also as it should be, yes?
Old 08-19-03, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wizdar - I'm Italian, we always have more than enough to eat and drink on hand. We plan for the number who will be there and then count in another 5 or 6 extras. So, trust me, there would always be plenty of beer.
Old 08-19-03, 09:20 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by Bandoman
Oh yeah - and it only gets better at the season end. You aint seen nothing yet.

My roommate just hit Messages from Earth last night, and about to hit the second half of The Big Three tonight. I wonder if I should be mean and ration them out once per day. Heh, heh, heh. . . .
Old 08-19-03, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Wizdar
I dare you to not watch Monk.

It’s not incumbent of us to know how the Shadows know about the Rangers, is it? I mean, if you go down that road, you’ll be reading “Nitpicker’s Guide to…” and wondering just how it is that automatic doors (in just about any scifi work) know when you’re done with them? Or making sure everyone gets their quotes correct?

It’s a small detail. Look at it from the POV of the viewer. We don’t see what goes on from the Shadow POV, which is as it should be. If we’re surprised they know about the Rangers, that is also as it should be, yes?
That's why I said the question was hypothetical. It doesn't so much matter how they found out, just one of those random things that popped into my head while viewing the ep this time around.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.