Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Babylon 5 Season THREE Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-03, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Seeker
One second I want to go ahead and tell you that Sheridan died, the next second, I don't.
I know what you mean.

Tick. Tock.
Old 09-14-03, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Wizdar
I know what you mean.

Tick. Tock.
Old 09-14-03, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I spent the better part of the last month but I got through all 3 seasons in a row... What a show... I avoided this thread as I wanted to not spoil anything but am looking forward to reading through it.
Old 09-14-03, 04:55 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 594 Likes on 340 Posts
Sometimes I hate you people.

Old 09-14-03, 05:05 PM

RE: Z'ha'dum

Done reading, wanted to post a comment. In this episode when Sheridan leaves the message for Delenn, he mentions that he may be able to save the Centauri homeworld and win the war by going to Z'ha'dum instead of ignoring the advice from Delenn in War Without End("Do not go to Z'ha'dum"). But in the future that is presented in War Without End (where Centauri is in ruins), he has gone to Z'ha'dum given the warning by Delenn. Sheridan believes the future in War Without End happens because he doesn't go to Z'ha'dum, but I think he is mistaken. The warning by Delenn actually prompts him to go to Z'ha'dum and the result is the War Without End future. Any thoughts?

Last edited by neiname; 09-14-03 at 05:41 PM.
Old 09-14-03, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pretty darn accurate appraisal.
Old 09-15-03, 07:51 AM

That's one of the things that took me forever to really figure out. Basically, it's like this.

In WWE, Sheridan jumps into the future, and meeds up with FutureDelenn. As he's seen, Delenn is VERY concerned about keeping the timeline in place. She said as much in the first scene aboard the White Star in WWE1, and FutureDelenn was completely against any potential changes in the past just to prevent where they ended up. So from Sheridan's point of view, FutureDelenn's warning was probably in keeping with keeping the timeline in order.

Not only that, but he was told time and time again by Kosh that if he went to Z'Ha'Dum, he'd die. Yet there he was on Centauri Prime, 17 years in the future, and still alive, so he figured that he couldn't have gone to Z'Ha'Dum, since he was alive and well.

Not only that, but he was also currently dealing with a situation where he was dealing with possible futures, etc. For all he knew, he could have jumped forward to the future of the "Babylon 5 destroyed in 8 days" timeline. Sure, in Ivanova's distress call, she said that he died in the Shadow attack, but we don't know if he ever saw that message.
Old 03-01-04, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I just finished watching Season 3 for the first time. HOLY COW!!!!!!

I actually had to pause for a couple of weeks after watching War Without End, because I didn't have season 4 disc 1 in my hands yet and didn't want to be kept hanging after watching Z'Ha'Dum. This is a really good season. I have no idea what's going on with Sheridan- whether he's dead or not- because while Kosh said he was going to die, we did see him in the future with Delenn in War Without End. So I don't know. Guess I'll find out next season.

I really like the way the characters have evolved this season 2, especially Vir. Except for that Avalon episode, every single one of them this season have been very good. About the title music, initially I wasn't really into it because it was such a big change from the first two seasons. But eventually, I thought it was very fitting for the atmosphere and buildup during season 3. Very tense and climactic. Wonder if it will change for season 4. Guess I'll pop in disc 1 now to find out. I don't know which I'm more excited about- watching season 4 episode 1 to see what's going on after that Z'Ha'Dum incident, or to check out the new title sequence.

Last edited by Autotelik; 03-01-04 at 11:53 PM.
Old 03-01-04, 11:40 PM

At least you don't have to wait for the release of Season 4 like I had to... It just gets better and better...
Old 03-01-04, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I know I didn't wait for very long at all. But I did put myself through the agony of holding off watching the season 3 finale, even when I had it at my fingertips. My choice was to wait for that, or wait for season 4.
Old 03-02-04, 08:17 AM

Originally posted by Autotelik

I actually had to pause for a couple of weeks after watching War Without End, because I didn't have season 4 disc 1 in my hands yet and didn't want to be kept hanging after watching Z'Ha'Dum. This is a really good season. I have no idea what's going on with Sheridan- whether he's dead or not- because while Kosh said he was going to die, we did see him in the future with Delenn in War Without End. So I don't know. Guess I'll find out next season.
Well, sort of. Remember that in the B5 universe, the future isn't set in stone. There was the possible future presented in War Without End (where the Shadows destroyed B5), and that was averted by the characters helping send B4 back to the past.

With that in mind, there's the situation of the possible future shown in WWE. At this point, it isn't certain that it's actually going to happen. Remember, Sheridan went to Z'Ha'Dum partly to try and prevent Centauri Prime from being decimated, so it's entirely possible that the future that he saw will no longer occur
Old 03-02-04, 10:27 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 594 Likes on 340 Posts
too....much...thinking...must...rest...
Old 03-22-04, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok vets here's a question for you. I finished S3 last week and like Bando I was at the ending. Now I have the first disk of S4 sitting here and was wondering if I should plow through S4 like I have the first three of pace myself so I dont' have a long wait for the S5 dvds to be released. Thoughts?
Old 03-22-04, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Why bother asking? I could tell you to pace yourself, but you won't be able to, so just plow through it and enjoy. Honestly, Season 4 "ends." Yes, there are unresolved threads and foreshadowing, but you won't be dangling from a cliff desperate to see the next episode after the season finale.

das
Old 03-23-04, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's only a couple weeks until Season 5 comes out, so you don't really have to wait that long.
Old 03-23-04, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Jeez, what a wuss. There was a time when we had to wait weeks, even months for a new season.
Old 03-23-04, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,874 Likes on 1,969 Posts
Actually, when Babylon 5 first aired on PTEN in syndication, it wasn't even broken up into traditional seasons.

"Hour of the Wolf" (the first ep of the fourth season) aired the week after "Z'Ha'Dum" (the third season's finale). And, I think the fourth season continued to air for the next three episodes.

The original US Air Dates:

05-20-96 War Without End Part II (3.17)
09-30-96 Walkabout (3.18)
10-07-96 Grey 17 is Missing (3.19)
10-14-96 And the Rock Cried Out No Hiding Place (3.20)
10-21-96 Shadow Dancing (3.21)
10-28-96 Z'Ha'Dum (3.22)
11-04-96 The Hour of the Wolf (4.01)
11-11-96 Whatever Happened to Mr Garibaldi? (4.02)
11-18-96 The Summoning (4.03)
11-25-96 Falling Toward Apotheosis (4.04)
01-27-97 The Long Night (4.05)

As you can see, the schedule is all over the place, with the seasons being broken and merged in strange places. If one were to follow a traditional pattern for television viewing, it almost looks like WWE 2 was the season finale.

So someone watching the first four episodes of the fourth season immediately after watching the end of the third would be keeping with what the folks (like myself) who watched it as it broadcast saw.

And the fourth season doesn't really end of a cliffhanger as such, so you can go ahead and watch it without having to worry about when you'll get to see the fifth season. (Since there was some very doubt that they would get a fifth season, the fourth season was designed so that it could provide a somewhat satisfying conclusion to the series. In fact, the final episode was shot as part of the fourth season, but when a fifth season was greenlighted, that episode was held back and new season four ender was shot as part of the fifth season and moved to the end of the fourth season.)
Old 03-23-04, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My bad. Of course I was speaking generally, thinking of things like Buffy, late TNG, Little House on the Prarie…