TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Thinking about jumping ship to DirecTv....

Old 08-09-03, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Thinking about jumping ship to DirecTv....

I know there are a ton of dish threads lately, but I want to get some more specific feedback.

Here's my thinking:

Right now, I pay about $100 for cable modem service, cable service and telephone. Breaking it down, it's about $40 for internet, $40 cable and $20 for phone.

What I am thinking is this. There are some great packages for new subscribers to DirecTv. Orbit Satellite has a great package right now. I can get a two room system. The main receiver is the Philips Series 2 35 hour tivo and the other receiver is the basic one.

I have an old Tivo with a lifetime subscription. What I am thinking is move that one into my room with the other dish reciever. I don't have a tv in there yet, but that will be forthcoming shortly. Once I do, I can hook up the basic reciever and the old Tivo. I'll have to hack it for the cable modem, though since I will be cancelling my phone. That's not a big deal, though.

In the main room, I'll use the the Series 2 Tivo.

As for costs, this is what it breaks down. I'll cancel my cable and phone. I'll have to probably pay $50 a month for cable modem service after that. I'm going to get the Total Choice Plus package with locals, so that works out to be $40 a month. Plus the $4.99 Tivo service fee, it works out to be almost exactly what I am paying now.

So in essence, for $100 upfront and the same cost monthly, I get an extra Tivo unit, better reception and better channel selection.

I'd be interested in getting some feedback from people here. It is greatly appreciated. Sorry for the ramblings.

Last edited by Deftones, Esq; 08-09-03 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-09-03, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sounds good to me. I couldn't live without my Tivo(s).
Old 08-09-03, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good deal; go for it, but how will your regular Tivo work without a phone line? Does it have a built-in network card?
Old 08-09-03, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by huzefa
Good deal; go for it, but how will your regular Tivo work without a phone line? Does it have a built-in network card?
You can hack it with a network card. I haven't done that yet and won't bother to until I get another tv for my bedroom.
Old 08-09-03, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Deftones
You can hack it with a network card. I haven't done that yet and won't bother to until I get another tv for my bedroom.
I saw where people have hacked their Directivos with wireless cards (to get shows off of the Tivo and schedule recordings/season passes from their PC).
Old 08-10-03, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Numanoid
Sounds good to me. I couldn't live without my Tivo(s).
ditto.
Old 08-11-03, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Triple LNB dish, 35 hour Tivo, two receivers, cordless phone remote, shipping and installation (extra wall drop needed): < $150.00 ( www.valueelectronics.com )

DSL hardware/shipping/install: $12.95

Telling Cox Cable to ____ off: Priceless!!!

The installer arrives in 2 hours and 10 minutes! This day is going too slowly.

Last edited by Y2K Falcon; 08-11-03 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-11-03, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

the only time you need a phone line is for the initial setup. after that it phones home everynight to see if you've ordered ppv, from what i remember. i order those online anyway. haven't had a phone connected to it in 3 months. everything is done through satellite.
Old 08-11-03, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk God

well, things are looking badly. I can't get a direct line of sight to the DirecTv satellite and my apartment community is unwilling to allow me to attach it to the roof.
Old 08-11-03, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk God

well, things are looking badly. I can't get a direct line of sight to the DirecTv satellite and my apartment community is unwilling to allow me to attach it to the roof.

That's why next time I move, I am bringing a compass with me before I sign anything.
Old 08-11-03, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Red Dog
That's why next time I move, I am bringing a compass with me before I sign anything.
Well, I was planning on getting it when I moved in here. I did not research it enough, though, to know that the dish has to be facing SE. Unfortunately, this was the only apartment on the 2nd floor. I could've got the ground floor place across the way that is perfect.
Old 08-11-03, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Well, I was planning on getting it when I moved in here. I did not research it enough, though, to know that the dish has to be facing SE. Unfortunately, this was the only apartment on the 2nd floor. I could've got the ground floor place across the way that is perfect.

I knew all that - here on the east cost you must face SW (the satellite is over Texas). However, I thought the apt I picked faced SW for sure. However, it was more like WSW, so I ended up missing it by 10 degrees.
Old 08-11-03, 07:15 PM
Banned

So if the "place across the way is perfect" I assume it faces roughly south? Which way does your apt face then? Roughly north?!
Old 08-11-03, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by gareth
So if the "place across the way is perfect" I assume it faces roughly south? Which way does your apt face then? Roughly north?!
The place across the way faces SE. My place faces NW.
Old 08-11-03, 11:11 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Ack that is dissapointing.

I am about to move out in a couple of months, and am dreading the ordeal with the directv.

I will sublet for a couple of months before I buy a new place, and will try and find a location with a Directivo, otherwise I am going to hurt like a mofo.
Old 08-12-03, 02:04 AM

Y2K Falcon, I love it!

Hope your directivo works out, I've had mine 3 months and it has been a dream. No more land use tax for me, cable can bite me.
Old 08-12-03, 11:51 AM
Cat

I just switched to DirecTV last month after being with Dish Network for a year. I will never go back to cable and I love DirecTV much better than Dish Network. Mainly because of the DirecTivo unit. I'm usually an early adopter on electronics, but I have resisted Tivo because I just couldn't believe it was "that" great, but I was so wrong. It truly changes the way I watch TV now. It is great! I would suggest that anybody with DirecTV should spend the extra money for the Tivo reciever, you won't regret it!

Cat
Old 08-12-03, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Cat
I would suggest that anybody with DirecTV should spend the extra money for the Tivo reciever, you won't regret it!
Old 08-12-03, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk God

stop bumping this thread guys, you are bumming me out.
Old 08-12-03, 02:58 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

sorry for compounding your misery
Old 08-12-03, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

How many floors on your apartment building?

Do you have a deck?

Can you run a pole from your deck so a dish can point over the roof? What about off to the side?
Old 08-12-03, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

no time to thread bump. All sorts of programming await me on my DTivo.....
Old 08-12-03, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Draven

Can you run a pole from your deck so a dish can point over the roof? What about off to the side?

That's likely a landlord no-no. Most leases state that the dish must be located within the tenant's leasehold area.
Old 08-12-03, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's likely a landlord no-no. Most leases state that the dish must be located within the tenant's leasehold area.
Only reason I brought it up is that I have a friend that was on the second floor of a two story apartment building and was allowed to extend a pole off his deck to shoot his dish over the building.
Old 08-12-03, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I knew all that - here on the east cost you must face SW (the satellite is over Texas). However, I thought the apt I picked faced SW for sure. However, it was more like WSW, so I ended up missing it by 10 degrees.
so if you live in texas, does the dish have to point straight up?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.