TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Force Is with Cartoon Network

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-03, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
The Force Is with Cartoon Network

By Josh Grossberg

Obi-Wan is 'tooning up for some small-screen Jedi hijinks.

Star Wars: Clone Wars, a series of animated shorts featuring the epic battles often mentioned but never seen in the Star Wars films, is being prepped for its fall premiere on the Cartoon Network.

The first installment in the series, a collaboration between the AOL Time Warner-owned cable net and Lucasfilm, was previewed earlier this month at the Television Critics Association meeting, and buzz is building online for the 'toons, which are being helmed by Genndy Tartakovsky of Samurai Jack and Dexter's Laboratory fame.

Each Clone Wars adventure will run two-to-three minutes and focus on Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker and their cohorts as they lead the Galactic Republic against evil armies of cloned troopers created by the Separatists. Put together, the strip tells one continuous story and includes tangents into minor characters' stories as well.

"It's beautiful-looking and there will be plenty of action," says Cartoon Network spokeswoman Laurie Goldberg.

The three-minute clip shown to the press was a rough cut, with a temporary soundtrack and some unfinished effects. The story featured Chancellor Palpatine putting Anakin in charge of a clone regiment over the protests of Yoda and Obi-Wan.

Tartakovsky, who like George Lucas was inspired by the epic films of Japanese filmmaker Akira Kurosawa, says the series is "going to be very high quality."

"It'll be like little mini-features, because everything is really hand-crafted and we're really taking our time with everything because we respect Star Wars so much," he said in an interview earlier this year on starwars.com.

Clone Wars is expected to debut November 9 and each episode will arrive at regularly scheduled intervals.

"It's going to air from 8 p.m. to 8:03 p.m. and probably rerun at 10 o'clock or midnight...[But] it's going to be at the same time every night so people will know when to look for it," explains Goldberg. "This is a great way to test something and see how people will respond to it."

She says network programmers are discussing various options for how to roll out the 'toons, but the likeliest scenario will see the cable channel present the first 10 episodes in the fall and another 10 in the spring.

The Cartoon Network is also talking with Lucasfilm about extending their partnership to include the possibility of creating a stand-alone Star Wars animated series.

Unlike the much-ballyhooed Animatrix animated shorts, which included key plot points referenced in The Matrix Reloaded, Clone Wars' story line will not necessarily set up Episode III, according to the cable network.

But when pressed for specifics, the Stars Wars camp was predictably mum. "Your guess is as good as mine," says Lucasfilm's Jeannie Cole.

Joshua Griffin of TheForce.net, one of the Internet's biggest Star Wars fan sites, tells E! Online that as far as he and his crew know, the animated series "will be showing the majority of the Clone Wars, and Episode III begins with the finale of that conflict and Palpatine's rise to power."

So far, the only real complaints from the oft-skeptical Star Wars set is that the 'toons aren't long enough.

"While it would have been great to see more of the Clone Wars on the big screen and less of Jar Jar," says TheForce.net's Scott Chitwood, "fans have been waiting for another Star Wars animated series for a long time [after Droids and Ewoks series in the mid-'80s], so there's a lot of enthusiasm around this project. They have a great team working on it and everything they've shown so far looks fantastic."

The still untitled third and final prequel in Lucas' epic space saga is now in production at Fox Studios in Australia and is expected to hit theaters in 2005.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...en_tv_eo/12252
Old 08-02-03, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
ok, this is dumb. originally this was going to be a series. then they made it into a 'mini-series'. now it's a collection of shorts. no thanks, i'll pass.
Old 08-02-03, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You know the sad part.. when we first heard rumors of the prequels, we were told/under the impresison that it would cover the clone wars that Obi talked about in ANH.. we got all hyped up to see how the jedi battles would be and how kick ass it would all look..

then we got the prequels. Not only that, but they are going to jump over the most important part that we have been looking for.. the entire clone war really. we get to see how it starts and how it pretty much ends with the victory of the empire. what a total let down. Now we have to settle with these "shorts" to cover that time?
Old 08-02-03, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That rough cut was amazing, it got such a good response at Comic Con, they played it twice. This is with NO sound effects. It was really really f'ing good.
Old 08-02-03, 06:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Each Clone Wars adventure will run two-to-three minutes and focus on Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker and their cohorts as they lead the Galactic Republic against evil armies of cloned troopers created by the Separatists. Put together, the strip tells one continuous story and includes tangents into minor characters' stories as well.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the clones were created by the republic to fight the droids of the "separatists"....
Old 08-02-03, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by nemein
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the clones were created by the republic to fight the droids of the "separatists"....
I thought "separatists" were just an excuse, and one fabricated by those responsible for the clone army being built for having it built. Once it was built, as there was no army before, essentially a millitary coup was possible, and in fact later happens.

Anyway, I'm pretty excited that Genndy Tartakovsky is in charge, and think this will be pretty cool, but maybe only when we can have them all to watch at once.
Old 08-02-03, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
You are correct. the clones were created by the Republic to fight the separatists driod armies, which was in a sense a mock up done by Sidious to Play both sides of the table.

So the Jedi should be fighting the driod troopers WITH the clones on their side.
Old 08-02-03, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
You know the sad part.. when we first heard rumors of the prequels, we were told/under the impresison that it would cover the clone wars that Obi talked about in ANH.. we got all hyped up to see how the jedi battles would be and how kick ass it would all look..

then we got the prequels. Not only that, but they are going to jump over the most important part that we have been looking for.. the entire clone war really. we get to see how it starts and how it pretty much ends with the victory of the empire. what a total let down. Now we have to settle with these "shorts" to cover that time?
I feel the same way. I've been looking forward to seeing the Clone Wars ever since ANH but instead we get the animated version of them. The upside though is that because Lucas isn't directing or writing they might actually be decent.
Old 08-02-03, 06:36 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
If Genndy Tartakovsky has his hand in this, then I have high hopes for it.

Samurai Jack is one of the best American produced cartoons in the past 10yrs.
Old 08-03-03, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I still think the designs are ugly.
Old 08-03-03, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by BizRodian
I still think the designs are ugly.
Old 08-03-03, 03:05 AM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Deftones
ok, this is dumb. originally this was going to be a series. then they made it into a 'mini-series'. now it's a collection of shorts. no thanks, i'll pass.
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is how it was always going to be.
Old 08-03-03, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally posted by nny
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is how it was always going to be.
You're not wrong. It was always planned as 2-3 minute shorts.
Old 08-04-03, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My girlfriend is an animator Jack, and she agrees... therefore we are right... because... ummm... she.. like.. is more knowledgable and stuff
Old 08-04-03, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Deftones
These were always planned to be 2-3 minutes in length, since the day they were originally announced.

We don't know exactly who ordered the clones. The cloners were under the impression that they were ordered by Jedi Master Syfo-Dias for the Republic. According to Mace Windu and Yoda, the clones were absolutely not created by the Republic, and Syfo-Dias was already dead at the time the order was placed.

Episode II (and the other backstory that we know) hints pretty strongly that they were ordered by Darth Sideous in an attempt to start a war and gain Executive Powers for Palpatine. But I guess we'll have to wait until Ep. III for the full story.
Old 08-04-03, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm one of those who's not crazy about the design of the whole series. I'd much rather see 5 or 6 half hour episodes using the new He-Man animation. Two to three minutes "shorts" just don't seem long enough to tell a sufficient story, unless you show like 20 or 30 of them.
Old 08-04-03, 09:46 PM

Episode II (and the other backstory that we know) hints pretty strongly that they were ordered by Darth Sideous in an attempt to start a war and gain Executive Powers for Palpatine. But I guess we'll have to wait until Ep. III for the full story.
That's true... I mean at some point obviously the clones become the army of the empire so I guess it depends where along the time line the animated series takes place as to who's on which side.
Old 08-05-03, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Captain Harlock
Two to three minutes "shorts" just don't seem long enough to tell a sufficient story, unless you show like 20 or 30 of them.
There will -- in fact -- be 20 of them.
Old 08-05-03, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Eric F
If Genndy Tartakovsky has his hand in this, then I have high hopes for it.

Samurai Jack is one of the best American produced cartoons in the past 10yrs.
on both points.
Old 08-05-03, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's a sketchbook that was given out at Comic-Con:

http://www.iesb.net/clonewarsgallery.htm
Old 08-05-03, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hmmm.... sounds rather Animatrix to me.
Old 08-07-03, 02:54 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I look forward to these. We'll finally get to see such pivotal moments as the fall of Anakin, birth of Luke and Leia, and of course the fate of Padme.
Old 08-07-03, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Birth? More along the lines of Conception of the two..

Oooh yeah, some Amadala/anakin action going on there. and you wonder why they are only a few minutes long.

My concern.. why does kit fisto's saber look like it works underwater?
Old 08-07-03, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's for the pivotal 8th episode ("Attack of the SithFish"). Lucas wrote it back in 1972, but only now has animation technology reached the point where he can bring his vision to the small screen.
Old 08-07-03, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
I believe the Kit Fisto scenes WILL be underwater on the Mon Calamari homeworld

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.