Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Queer Eye For the Straight Guy

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-03, 12:21 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And just to throw it out there...

I have THE hugest crush on Jai possible.

He is the epitome of "adorable."
Old 07-30-03, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
Although the pink blazer was not working I don't care who you are, no-one outside of George Hamilton can carry off that look
Maybe it's that blazer in particular that didn't work, but I LOVE straight men who wear pink!
Old 07-30-03, 03:17 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
don't get me wrong I was wearing my pink shirt yesterday, but the pink blazer was all wrong.

Nothing wrong with a splash of colour.

My wife dislikes my pink shirt a lot
Old 07-30-03, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another very, very cool episode. Maybe not as much fun as the premiere... but that could be because this guy needed much less work, so the whole "before and after" thing wasn't as drastic.

lordzeppelin - I am a straight guy, and I friggin' love the show.

movieking - I have seen all three episodes, and they all have been filled with really cool, really funny moments. The show has a certain level of emotional depth -- you end up rooting for the straight guy, just like the Fab5.

cibo matto - these five gay guys are pretty awesome. Makes me wish I had more gay friends (assuming that they were as smart, talented and funny as the Fab5).

das - wrong again.

rkndkn - fashion is one thing, but BDB is right -- the pink blazer is just going waaaaay overboard.
Old 07-30-03, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
NCMojo,

There's actually been 4 episodes:
1 - the artist
2 - the ear-hair guy
3 - the boomerang guy with the hooker girlfriend
4 - the wedding proposal
Old 07-30-03, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth NCMojo •<HR SIZE=1>das - wrong again.<HR SIZE=1>

Can you try to make sense? What was I wrong about before? What am I wrong about now?

das
Old 07-31-03, 09:50 AM
Banned

Speaking of Water Cooler Worthy:

Two shows on Bravo generating a considerable amount of buzz, Boy Meets Boy and Queer Eye For the Straight Guy, also had plenty to crow about on Tuesday. The debut of Boy Meets Boy at 9 p.m. averaged 1.6 million viewers followed by week three of Queer Eye for the Straight Guy at a record high 2.8 million. Although Queer Eye didn't attract more viewers than FX's competing Nip/Tuck, it was the most watched show in the history of Bravo. Combined, both series fueled the suddenly "Must See' cable network to its highest rated night in primetime ever among viewers 18-49. Queer Eye, in fact, outdelivered a repeat of CBS's Judging Amy by 107,000 adult 18-49 viewers (Queer Eye: 2.065, Judging Amy: 1.958 million).
Old 07-31-03, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

joeblow -- good call. I forgot about the boomerang episode. Well, and I also forgot that they premiered with back-to-back shows. 3rd week, 4th episode.

das -- ya know, I knew putting in the word "again" would bug you. It's hard to imagine you being wrong one time... but you being wrong two or three times would be inconceivable.

This time, I think that your complaint about double standards was inaccurate. The show is less about the contrast between the gay and straight lifestyle, and more about the transformation of the individual. While it may reinforce certain stereotypes to a degree, I do not think these are negative stereotypes -- as a straight man, I do kind of wish that I could have five gay men like the Fab 5 come and make over my clothes, my style, and my house.

(Mind you, they'd probably just throw up their hands and say it's a lost cause -- but a guy's gotta dream...)

Also -- just to jog your memory -- Star Trek TOS sucked.
Old 07-31-03, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth NCMojo •<HR SIZE=1>das -- ya know, I knew putting in the word "again" would bug you. It's hard to imagine you being wrong one time... but you being wrong two or three times would be inconceivable.<HR SIZE=1>

Doesn't bug me. I'm wrong all the time. The vague nature of your post, though, made me curious as to which time you were refering in this instance.

• Quoth NCMojo •<HR SIZE=1>This time, I think that your complaint about double standards was inaccurate. The show is less about the contrast between the gay and straight lifestyle, and more about the transformation of the individual. While it may reinforce certain stereotypes to a degree, I do not think these are negative stereotypes -- as a straight man, I do kind of wish that I could have five gay men like the Fab 5 come and make over my clothes, my style, and my house.<HR SIZE=1>

I don't necessarily disagree with you about the show, but I didn't say the show was a double standard; I said it reminded me of double standards in our society. Because Gay-themed programming is so popular, we hold one standard, but try the same thing with other stereotypical differences and you might face a lawsuit (e.g., 5 black guys teaching a white guy how to play basketball, dance, and tap that booty). These aren't necessarily negative stereotypes either. I would think White guys would like to play ball well, dance with rhythm and experience the pleasures of a nice round booty.

Anyway, I wasn't criticizing the show; I was criticizing a society that is still a jumbled mess of mixed messages and double standards. Jadzia's comment simply reminded me of that.

• Quoth NCMojo •<HR SIZE=1>Also -- just to jog your memory -- Star Trek TOS sucked. <HR SIZE=1>

Ah ... for all the times I'm allegedly "wrong" this is the best you can come up with? If thinking the original Star Trek didn't suck is "wrong", then I don't wanna be right!

das
Old 07-31-03, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
At least once I every two or three weeks--or two or three thread pages--I have to pop in and whine about not getting Bravo. This is all making me very sad.
Old 07-31-03, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Did you guys hear about Artie Lang from the Howard Stern show?

Two of the Fab5 took him out to get a makeover and he got drunk and started feeling bad about himself. He started drinking Jack Daniels, he started yelling for more Jack and asking why they wouldn't f a fat f like him.

They played audio clips today, it was funny and sad .
Old 07-31-03, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Favorite part of the latest episode:

(paraphrasing)

Straight Guy - People tell me I look like Keanu Reeves.

Hair Guy - People tell ME I look like Keanu Reeves.

Fashion Guy - People say I look like Ellen Degeneres.

Old 08-01-03, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I watched the rerun on Bravo last night (the wedding propsal). That guy was HOT and really did not need much help. Glad he got rid of the semi unibrow, though

I think it's more fun when they assist guys who REALLY need their help...not like this guy.

Last edited by LiquidSky; 08-01-03 at 07:53 AM.
Old 08-02-03, 03:01 AM

Queer Eye is the cover story of the new issue of Entertainment Weekly. Here are tidbits from the article, which answer some questions about the show:

The show was greenlighted by Bravo in March of 2002 and began filming a year later.

Bravo President Jeff Gaspin was taken aback by the title, but liked the show enough to order 20 episodes. [So we have months of Queer Eye goodness ahead. ]

Blair, the original "Culture" guy was replaced by Jai after a couple episodes. No reason given, other than that Blair wasn't working out. The episodes were shown out of order, however, which is why Jai wasn't in the 2nd & 3rd aired episodes.

The make-over (or "make-better" as they call it) takes place over 4 exhausting days. "We joke that it's one day in gay time."

A design and carpentry team assists Thom in the re-vamping of the subject's living quarters.

The show's producers declined to discuss the budget, but some of the cost is defrayed by product placement. But companies just can't buy their way in. "We only take them up once they've earned the Queer Eye Seal of Approval. The guys have to want to work with these brands."
Old 08-03-03, 10:39 PM
Banned

Comments removed
Old 08-03-03, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts
Originally posted by Dictator
Comments removed
I'll take "Returning BANNED member for $1000 Alex"
Old 08-04-03, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Straight guy here chiming in to say that I really enjoy watching this show. I caught the last 3 episodes that aired, but I haven't seen the premier, but hopefully they will be replaying it soon. I think the gay guys, especially Carson, are really funny and give some really good tips. Still, a lot of that stuff is out my poor college student budget. They should do a special where they transform a guy at Old Navy or something like that.

I can't even imagine them squeezing this show into half an hour. And like others have said, I wish I had five gay guys like these as my friend too.
Old 08-04-03, 12:09 PM
Banned

Spain...

You're in NJ...just a short trip away.

Although I'd probably end up watching more movies with you than talking about fashion.
Old 08-04-03, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by adamblast
At least once I every two or three weeks--or two or three thread pages--I have to pop in and whine about not getting Bravo. This is all making me very sad.
In the case of THIS show, you're not completely out of luck. NBC is running half hour versions of each episode after Will & Grace on Thursday nights. Now if you can't get NBC, then you've gotten even BIGGER issues.
Old 08-04-03, 01:07 PM

I like Old Navy stuff
Old 08-04-03, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Fab 5 are scheduled to be on "The Tonight Show" on 8/14 to have a "make better" session with Jay Leno.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/TV/0...eut/index.html
Old 08-04-03, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by rfduncan
In the case of THIS show, you're not completely out of luck. NBC is running half hour versions of each episode after Will & Grace on Thursday nights. Now if you can't get NBC, then you've gotten even BIGGER issues.
I know they did that a week or two ago, but I didn't get the impression it was going to be a regular thing... On the other hand, the show is now considered a "breakout hit" so I wouldn't be surprised...

Still, the 1/2 hour version probably loses all it's charm. I could care less about the actual tips, I'd be watching for the 5 guys humor & personality... Doubt I'll watch unless NBC carries the full version...
Old 08-04-03, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by rkndkn
The Fab 5 are scheduled to be on "The Tonight Show" on 8/14 to have a "make better" session with Jay Leno.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/TV/0...eut/index.html
Pity that one of the five guys doesn't specialize in humor.
Old 08-04-03, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by leepyswetr
Pity that one of the five guys doesn't specialize in humor.
Now that would require one hell of a makeover for Leno.
Old 08-05-03, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just saw a rerun of the "Boomerang Guy" episode and I really liked it. I plan on watching the show regularly now.

Man, his girlfriend is evil! Their comments about her were hilarious. But I could just imagine her getting pissed off at him as they were watching the show.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.