TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Mississippi Burning - PC crap reaches extremes

Old 06-21-03, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Mississippi Burning - PC crap reaches extremes

Heyo there,

So today I was channel surfing when I came upon Mississippi Burning. I stopped to watch since it was The Hackman doing his infamous redneck nut busting scene... always a pleasure to watch the man. Anyway, as the hick was going on of on his little Dixie tirade, I was shocked to hear that the "n-word" had been bleeped out. I couldn't believe it. Of all the movies where the racist dialogue should be left intact, it's this one.

What the hell is wrong is wrong with people? So now, the one word that defines what these no good bigots felt in their hearts and made them villainous pieces of crap can't even be uttered by them?

I mean, what viewer is going to seriously complain?
Old 06-22-03, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

All alterations are stupid. Adult movies are ment for adults, and as an adult I don't want my movies altered.
Old 06-22-03, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I never watch R rated movies on tv. They always edit the cursing with some lame ass expletive like "Are you "freakin" kidding me"

Nobody talks like that in real life..It sounds ridiculous
Old 06-22-03, 09:45 AM
Mod Emeritus

Sigh.... you funsters!
Old 06-22-03, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by shanester
I never watch R rated movies on tv. They always edit the cursing with some lame ass expletive like "Are you "freakin" kidding me"

Nobody talks like that in real life..It sounds ridiculous
What are you friggin' talking about? I talk like that all the freakin' time!
Old 06-22-03, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

far-gin iceholes!
Old 06-22-03, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Mississippi Burning - PC crap reaches extremes

Originally posted by Tesiae

.... I was shocked to hear that the "n-word" had been bleeped out. I couldn't believe it.
What the hell is wrong is wrong with people?
Interesting that you yourself chose to avoid using the word.
Old 06-22-03, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Re: Mississippi Burning - PC crap reaches extremes

Originally posted by marty888
Interesting that you yourself chose to avoid using the word.
marty: here's why - ******.

It won't show up here. The most you can get away with is n!gger, but doing so runs the risk of incurring the wrath of the mods.
Old 06-22-03, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Man, are you sensitive.
Old 06-22-03, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I nearly put a brick thru my TV when WGN edited the n word at about 3 in the morning during a movie about James Earl Jones being illegitimate son of a white guy. The move was fairly tame up to that point, but JEJ goes off on his white brother and says "N!gger! That's what you almost said! Well say it damnit!!" Of course they muted the N word totally destroying any point the scene and/or the movie was making. I turned it off after that.
Old 06-22-03, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

<---- Tired of all the mickey-fickey sons-of-a-buck trying to protect us from coarse language. Making it taboo is what gives the word its negative power.

Honk!
Old 06-23-03, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Go rent the DVD, then you can hear the N word in all it's glory.

They cannot have an R rated show on TV. Most of the violence and all of the nudity will get edited out. That is just life. They great thing about this country is not stopping you from buying or renting the DVD.

Last edited by Iron_Giant; 06-23-03 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-23-03, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why is it just life Iron_Giant? is there any logical reason why a film about racism would have that word edited out?
Old 06-23-03, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Iron_Giant

They cannot have an R rated show on TV. Most of the violence and all of the nudity will get edited out. That is just life. They great thing about this country is now is stopping you from buying or renting the DVD.

What about Schindler's List? Wasn't that broadcast unedited on NBC a few year's ago?
Old 06-23-03, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Go feed your mother, Mister Falcon, you melon farmer.
Old 06-23-03, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Red Dog
What about Schindler's List? Wasn't that broadcast unedited on NBC a few year's ago?
Good point.

But, those shows are far and few between. Once you let the cat out of the bag, you will see every channel show whatever they want whenever they want. When NYPD Blues started show skin, other followed suit. Little by little the airwaves/cablewaves are being changed. Soon even the Saturday morning shows will have skin and choice 4 letter words in them.
Old 06-23-03, 06:55 PM
mwj

But, those shows are far and few between. Once you let the cat out of the bag, you will see every channel show whatever they want whenever they want. When NYPD Blues started show skin, other followed suit. Little by little the airwaves/cablewaves are being changed. Soon even the Saturday morning shows will have skin and choice 4 letter words in them.
Well Saturday morning shows are all little more than marketing gimics anyway.

The slippery slope argument is moot because as the title of this thread proves there an almost infinite number of special interests just waiting for someone to offend them. So they can feel empowered by raising a stink to anyone who will listen. With the media over-saturation you can always find someone to be outraged along with you.
Old 06-23-03, 07:01 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe it's because of people like this:?

OMAHA, Neb. (AP) A $40 million libel lawsuit was filed by a man offended by the ability of computer software to recognize and respond to a racial slur.

The lawsuit alleges that Thomas D. Wallace and his sons, Terry, Todd and Troy, suffered emotional distress after finding the word ''******'' in an encyclopedia in software from Compton's NewMedia of Carlsbad, Calif. The lawsuit also names Compton's owner, Tribune Co. of Chicago, and Best Buy, where the software was purchased.

Wallace, who is black, said he discovered the slur when he inadvertently typed ''******'' while looking up the Niger River. In response, the computer found references under ''Drama,'' ''Martin Luther King Jr.,'' ''Black Americans or African Americans'' and ''English Literature.''

The word appears in a manuscript, the title of a play, the title of a book and a quote in which someone attempted to slur King, said Tribune Co. spokesman Joseph A. Hays. ''The complaint is without merit,'' Hays said. ''What's more, it's just plain silly.''
Old 06-23-03, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

We have people like Jesse Jackson to thank for this.

I want all "cracker" comments to be bleeped out as well.
Old 06-23-03, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Soon even the Saturday morning shows will have skin and choice 4 letter words in them.
Funny, this hasn't happened in EVERY OTHER FREE NATION IN THE WORLD. Why do you belive it would happen in the US? I don't know if you're right or wrong, because you are right about NYPD Blue and such... but I'm curious as for your reasons why you'd think this would happen when it doesn't elsewhere.