Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Favorite late night show?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Favorite late night show? (current shows only)
Tonight Show with Jay Leno
5.19%
Late Night with Conan O'Brien
38.31%
Jimmy Kimmel Live
5.84%
Late Show with David Letterman
19.48%
Late Late Show with Craig Kilborn
0.65%
Last Call with Carson Daly
0.65%
The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
20.13%
Saturday Night Live
4.55%
Mad TV
1.30%
Other (any other network or cable late night show currently on the air)
3.90%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Favorite late night show?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-03, 12:24 AM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by cwwallace
Conan--however NBC Houston doesn't broadcast it until 1:00 AM. They need to get a clue!
Hey, at least he doesn't come on at 2:40 AM anymore. I actually like that Kilborn is delayed a half hour and Conan's delayed 1.5 hours. That way I can watch all the talk shows.

I'm surprised there's not more support for the Daily Show. In addition to everything else they do well, I actually feel Stewart's the best interviewer of all the late show hosts too. As much as I like Kilborn's show, I really wish that Stewart's talk show wasn't cancelled and that Kilborn didn't leave the Daily Show. Kilborn's awesome at delivery, but isn't witty enough to be funny during interviews. He was perfect on the Daily Show and although I don't know how I'd feel about Jon Stewart's old talkshow now, Stewart might be my favorite interviewer ever.
Old 06-23-03, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Conan going to Houston was one of my favorite bits they did. When that one fat guy told Conan that they don't air his show because it was crap, I was rolling.
Old 06-23-03, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

SNL, Conan, DailyShow, & Insomniac.

Sometimes I watch Leno cause it's ealier and he has the Kevin Smith spots on sometimes. I dont watch Letterman anymore unless he has an interview i'd like to see.
Old 06-23-03, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Andie
I voted for Leno, because he is the funniest and smartest. Many of these shows have hosts that are very American in their ways, and they become unfunny because they seem to love themselves too much. Leno isn't like that (not that often anyway).
Wow, you really need to watch Conan.
Old 06-23-03, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I voted Conan, and would've put The Daily show a close second. It's really a virtual tie for me but the recent USO tour by Conan put him over the top for the next month or so.

Dave's third, but I haven't seen anything all that great on there since the last time I saw Rupert G with the hidden camera annoying people. I don't know if I will ever see anything funnier than Dave working at the Taco Bell drive through.

Last edited by Roto; 06-23-03 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06-23-03, 02:09 PM

Conan. Here's to another ten years

For me to poop on!
Old 06-23-03, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Letterman and Conan are my two favorites. They both have a NY-style sense of humor that I find infinitely more entertaining than Leno (whom I could never stomach even during his acting days) and Kilborn.

Also watch MAD TV on Saturdays. Used to watch SNL religiously during the early/mid-80s, but after Lorne Michaels returned, most of the show lost its spark for me.
Old 06-24-03, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't watched MadTV much since Will Sasso left He was by far the funniest guy named Will on late night tv.
Old 06-24-03, 02:18 PM

Kimmel and his guest give you the feeling that they are just there to have fun and usually forget about the goofy plugs and such. My vote goes to JKL.

D
Old 06-27-03, 12:59 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Last Call is great TV. Carson Daly is scary talented.
Old 06-27-03, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

19% to 4% Letterman over Leno and even Kimmel beating Jay in here. Why (and does it really matter?) does Jay do so much better in the ratings? Maybe things are a bit skewed in here, but I always see Letterman winning polls against Leno and the ratings only get worse for Dave. Why? I don't know how it is elsewhere, but we still only have 2 Late night shows in the early slot. Dave and Jay. And then Kimmel a 1/2 later on ABC.

Stewart is on here 25 minutes after the Late Show and Tonight Show and Craig and Conan are the late night guys.

Again, why does Dave do so poorly? Is it the guests Jay gets being in LA? That's the only reason that I click over and he always makes me cringe through the entire interview or even with dumb comments to the musical guests.

Is it because NBC is better in the ratings during primetime? If public samplings usually have Dave way ahead or at least close, do people really not have the energy to click the remote to the show they prefer? I watch ER, watch the news, and click the remote. And if it was Kimmel that I preferred, I'd do the same.

I've read Dave does better with 18-49, but that can't be good enough when you are being beaten on your best nights with the best guests by 2 million or more viewers. Does anyone think that it will ever turn around? People always point to Dave being on top until the infamous Leno interview with Hugh Grant. I can't believe that one interview many, many years ago made this many people into Leno fans.

Please, I'm not insulting anyone who prefers Jay. I can't stand him, the vote here is against him by a wide margin, Jon Stewart and Conan O'Brien both list Dave as one of the biggest influences on the comedy and their votes are way above Jay's too, and still Jay whoops Dave every night. Why is that?
Old 06-28-03, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Letterman...
Old 06-28-03, 10:45 AM

Conan is the best!!
Old 06-30-03, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

1st: definitely letterman! i watch his show religiously

2nd: conan, although i don't always watch

3rd: daily show with JS, great writing!
Old 03-10-06, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Rather than starting a new poll, found this by actually utilizing the search tool

For me: Conan, although I like watching Kimmel Live once in a while...
Old 03-10-06, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Almost three years later, has anyone's opinion changed?

I vote for SNL first.

Although I don't watch a whole lot of late night talk shows, Conan comes in second.

Letterman gets third, but he seems to be less funny each time I watch. If he was at the same level he was in the late 80s, early 90s, this wouldn't even be close.

Leno is not funny.
Stewart is not funny.
Kimmel is not funny.
Mad TV is not funny
Daly is not funny.

Kilborn is gone, and I've never seen Craig Ferguson's show.
Old 03-10-06, 01:39 PM

I watch Conan every night and have it set to record every show. I'll sometimes watch Jimmy Kimmel untill Conan comes on. For that one person that picked Carson Daly I ask Why? How he ever got a show is a mystery to me.
Old 03-10-06, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sekots
For that one person that picked Carson Daly I ask Why?
Karma!
Old 03-10-06, 03:26 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by nny
The Daily Show's obviously the best, but I'll vote for Kilborn because he's the most underrated.
Wow, that's funny. My opinion sure has changed. I've only watched TDS a couple times the past 2 years because I thought it started going way down in quality only a few months after I posted that. Also, I thought I really liked Kimmel pretty early on, but I didn't even mention him. Kimmel's definitely my favorite right now, but I actually think the show's been much worse after he made several changes a couple years ago. He took away the things that made the show unique. I hate how none of the late night shows have sidekicks and Kimmel's weeklong guest sidekicks was something I've always wanted to see.

My two favorite talk shows right now aren't even late night shows. What's even better than a sidekick is 2 good co-hosts. I've loved Live with Regis and Kelly ever since Kelly joined. Those 2 complement each other so well and I love that they take 20 minutes to just talk about whatever.

What's even better than a sidekick or 2 good co-hosts is 2 good co-hosts and a sidekick. My favorite talk show right now is Attack of the Show. I loved Pereira since he was doing an internet radio show in the 90s. Sarah is surprisingly entertaining and is good eye candy and Brendan has some of the greatest dry delivery I've ever seen.
Old 03-10-06, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

craig furgeson is actually a funny funny bastard.

almost none of his monologue is scripted. he just has an outline on his teleprompters and he ad-libs the rest.

kilborn was never an option as i always wanted to punch him in the face. when he left, i was very intrigued by all the auditions. i started watching ferguson a little and now i am hooked.

the more you watch him the funnier he gets. i am a big fan now and I HATED him on drew carey.
Old 03-10-06, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Originally Posted by pinata242
Karma!
Nothing like a joke 3 years in the making.
Old 03-11-06, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
Leno. Just for headlines on Monday.
Old 03-11-06, 01:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Late Night with Conan O'Brien and Leno. I can't stand Letterman for some reason. I try to give him a shot every few months, but always end up switching back to Leno.
Old 03-12-06, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSpacey
craig furgeson is actually a funny funny bastard.

almost none of his monologue is scripted. he just has an outline on his teleprompters and he ad-libs the rest.
I agree. Also, his Sean Connery, Prince Charles, and Micheal Caine bits are great too.
Old 03-12-06, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,131 Posts
For me it's:
Letterman and Ferguson 1st then Conan.

Leno is sooooo lame it's sad.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.