Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Any reviews/info on Showtime's "Dead Like Me"

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-03, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any reviews/info on Showtime's "Dead Like Me"

I can't decide whether this will be worth watching ( http://www.sho.com/deadlikeme/ ).

Has anyone read any reviews and can post them? It debuts this Friday.

As a big fan of Sandman, I thought this sounded like a veiled attempt at bringing his sister, Death to the screen.
Old 06-18-03, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

bump
Old 06-19-03, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It looks good. I just watched the teaser from the showtime site. I'll definitely watch
Old 06-19-03, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am gonna check it out. I think it looked good in the commercial/trailer, so I'll give it a shot.
Old 06-23-03, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I guess the reason there weren't any reviews when I asked is because I got the date wrong.

It actually debuts this Friday.
Old 06-23-03, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Showtime's been on a pretty good run lately. Street Time, Odyssey 5, Jeremiah, Bull*****, Family Business ... I'm certainly willing to check out any of their new series, including this one, which looks pretty interesting.

das
Old 06-23-03, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/425/425240p1.html
Old 06-27-03, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just a heads up since the show debuts tonite.
Old 06-27-03, 10:15 PM

Interesting & entertaining. I'll check out the next episode as well.
Old 06-27-03, 10:37 PM

I watched it against my will...I tend to not watch things with Rebecca "drunk-driving-child-killing-only-getting-probation-cause-I'm-famous" Gayheart. I wasn't that impressed, it was alright I guess. But I don't know how good it'll be in the long haul.

Ironic she's on a show where you just take someone's life out of the blue.
Old 06-27-03, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

At first I didn't like the main character, but by the end she seemed alright. Still think they could have done a better job in casting her though. I like the show so far, seems like it has a lot of promise.
Old 06-29-03, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It was interesting.

Synopsis: George (she makes a joke about being named after a boy - her real name is Georgia), a disenchanted 20 something, is on her lunch break when a piece of a Russian satellite collides and kills her - but not before her soul is pulled out.

It turns out that there are a group of people that are "undead", and they act as grim reapers. These undead are allotted a certain number of souls to "retrieve" before they are granted a promotion. The undead have a physical body, but are able to appear and disappear in a given situation.

George obtains the "job" because her soul was the last for her grim reaper, and she is then transferred the postion. From there, the rest of the episode deals with her learning the ropes of her new job and coping with her family that is dealing with her death.

Personally, I find the show's warped sensibility of the afterlife rather interesting, but confusing. The rules of the undead are a strange conglomeration of spiritual/physical rules found in the living, but are not spelled out too well (at least in this pilot, perhaps the show will define some of these rules in later episodes.)

I'll tune in for the next few episodes, but I hope this show goes somewhere. I have a feeling right now that the confusion of this episode (in the rules and plot department) become more convoluted as the show goes on, based on the preview for this Friday's show.

I recommend it.
Old 06-29-03, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

George should protest getting killed. If that grim reaper hadn't stopped her to talk she most likely wouldn't have been in position to get hit with that toilet seat. His stalling her got her killed thats interference.
Old 06-29-03, 11:47 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Manco
George should protest getting killed. If that grim reaper hadn't stopped her to talk she most likely wouldn't have been in position to get hit with that toilet seat. His stalling her got her killed thats interference.
That's what I was thinking. I thought they weren't supposed to interfere.

Fun show though. Quirky. (Hard nipples, anyone...?)
Old 06-30-03, 01:34 AM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did anyone else notice the My So-Called Afterlife line? One of the director/producers on MSCL directed the pilot for Dead Like Me. Great to see more work from him.
Old 06-30-03, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Pretty good show so far. I think they need to clarify the "rules" a bit more.

They're making nods to Six Feet Under by having "who" dies being up in the air until the last minute.
Old 06-30-03, 10:39 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by Manco
Hmm...one of the "rules" is that a grim reaper won't know which soul will be his/her last one until it's done. Whether it's right before or after they pull the soul out, I'm not clear on, but that might have some bearing on why the grim reaper spoke to George.

Furthermore, it was mentioned that the role of grim reapers might have been pre-ordained even before their birth. Add the two together, and perhaps it was meant for the grim reaper to talk to her, or in this case "interfere" since he knew she was already pre-ordained to be a grim reaper.

In addition, based on George's first pulling of the soul, two things also come to mind:
- it shows that it's not the actual incident that determines when a person dies. Once the designated time of death passes, the soul has basically "expired" - and still can be pulled causing death to the body, incident or no incident.
- as mentioned by Rube, it seems that there has been cases where souls have not been pulled after having been expired. The person lives on, but their soul rots. It'll be interesting if a future episode will show a person who's been living on with a "rotting soul", to demonstrate how important their duties are (as well as what happens to a grim reaper who does not pull the soul?)

Overall, I enjoyed the show and I look forward to catching future eps.
Old 06-30-03, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is the best premiere for a new show that I've seen in a long time. Very funny! I hope they can keep it up and get some buzz going about it. Being on Showtime handicaps it. If it was on HBO there would probably be endless hype.
Old 06-30-03, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Roto
Being on Showtime handicaps it. If it was on HBO there would probably be endless hype.
I agree. You don't hear much about Showtime series in the public press except for a blurb or two.
Old 07-04-03, 11:24 AM
MrN

I saw the pilot and I just didn't like the convoluted metaphysical/quasi-religious premise. It felt like a 'hip' Touched by an Angel or something with a nod to 'City of Angels/Wings of Desire' with the standing on top of the tower.

Spoiler:
I guess Rebecca Gayheart isn't going to last long - she's missing from the post-show interviews and the girl from The Faculty/24 is on there.
Old 07-04-03, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

MrN, which girl from 24 are u talking about?
Old 07-04-03, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It was an alright episode tonight. What was up with her wondering what would happen to people if she didn't take their souls when she found out the last episode? That made no sense. It was also annoying how she recapped her life at the beginning again. Why would we need to know this stuff again?
Old 07-06-03, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I finally watched the two episodes that I had Tivo'd. I really enjoyed them! Very different, quirky show.

What was up with her wondering what would happen to people if she didn't take their souls when she found out the last episode? That made no sense.
In the first episode, she actually prevented the girl from dying by moving her out of her seat.

In the second episode, she wondered what would happen if he she just didn't show up to do her soul-taking duty. That was kind of freaky with the guys soul still in the dead body.

He had her name, she was supposed to die then.
Old 07-07-03, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Once you take out the review of the first episode and the opening credits, was the second episode much more than 35 minutes?

I know pay channels have freedom with their episode lengths, but this is going in the wrong direction!
Old 07-08-03, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Just watched both episodes... really liked it. It's almost like Showtime's trying to make a "Six Feet Under" for the twenty-somethings. It seems like the show has alot of potential.

Almost makes me want to subscribe to Showtime.

-k
###

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.