Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

An idea for who should take over the Star Trek franchise...

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

An idea for who should take over the Star Trek franchise...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-03, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Now that he's left The West Wing, they should give the franchise to Aaron Sorkin. Spaceships have lots of hallways, and he's especially good with the walk & talk.

Last edited by adamblast; 06-20-03 at 04:07 PM.
Old 06-20-03, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah here's an idea: how about we get the creative team from Galazy Quest to come in and save the day. Quite frankly, GQ was the best Star Trek movie to come out in 10 years. Action, adventure, some alien nookie (shudder), and the sense of fun that Trek has lacked for quite some time now.

(Or hell, I'd watch the weekly adventures of the NEA Protector in a hot second.)
Old 06-21-03, 04:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Im a sci fi geek... but not a really "trekkie", I like everything, as long as it's good sci fi. The original Star Trek was wonderful and groundbreaking, as was the early movies. I enjoyed TNG when it first aired, but when I watch them now they really haven't stood the test of time like the Original series has.

The new Trek stuff... as a sci fi fan... sorry, but, I think is horrible, pretty much the worst sci fi going today, All the other current sci fi stuff on TV is so much better, Buffy, Farscape, even Stargate and Andromeda blow Trek out of the water. Voyager, Enterprise, the Nemesis movie... I find painful to watch. Star Trek to me is more of a soap opera drama series that just happens to take place in space then a real sci fi show, I could care less about Capt Janeways personal relationship problems. There's something seriously wrong when Trek is the worst sci fi show on TV... it should be one of the best, it should be leading the way, not following behind... I really really want to like it... but sorry Trey fans, I can't stand it.

either give it a complete overhaul, or let it rest for 5 or 10 years... bring back Doctor Who! Now there was a real sci fi show.
Old 06-21-03, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ya know, now that Reading Rainbow is cancelled... LeVar Burton is just kind of sitting around, so...
Old 06-21-03, 11:57 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by turborobb
either give it a complete overhaul, or let it rest for 5 or 10 years... bring back Doctor Who! Now there was a real sci fi show.
Double Amen to that, man!

Hmmm, how would I save Trek. Well, I think they missed a real opportunity with Enterprise. The old 60's show had a very distinct feel to it - mini-skirts, large unwieldy controls with knobs, velvet and velour clothing everywhere, and haircuts like off the Monkees.

So we go from high tech and jumpsuits to low tech knobs and velour back to high tech again? That's an unlikely sociological progression to say the least.

So, I would have gone with the retro-60's look. Take the low-tech look and snazz it up a bit with today's technology. Keep the clunky look, but more of it. Keep the miniskirts and bare middrifs. Keep the rugged captain with his ripped shirt exposing just enough of his manly chest every week. Give us southern California rock quarries that double as alien worlds. Have fun and play with the conventions of the franchise rather than become muddled in it's style.

Ah - but what the hell do I know? I'm just one of the unwashed masses.
Old 06-22-03, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 262 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally posted by El-Kabong
Give us southern California rock quarries that double as alien worlds.
They still do this, don't they? Seems like half the episodes of Enterprise I've seen involve the crew getting trapped in a cave.