TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Canadian Idol

Old 06-09-03, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Canadian Idol

I know I wasn't the only one to see this. (but I'll add in extra information for those curious.)

Tonight was the first three cities - Vancouver, Calgary, and Winnipeg. The theme song and the opening graphics are exactly the same as American Idol... just with Canadian in it's place. I wonder if Pop Idol (the original) also has the same opening and music.

You could tell different directors and editors worked on this show. It wasn't as good in that regard... they showed many many clips of people singing, then cut away when they were finished, but never showed the judges reactions or votes!

So many people used the same tired stupid old songs as used 100 times on American Idol... UGH.. I don't know their exact titles or I'd name them. If I was a judge and you sang that song, I'd boot you.

Speaking of judges... there are 4. One is some singer, who's like... apparently famous or something, at least in Canada... not that I've ever heard of her... she's rather like Paula. Then there's an Urban Radio DJ who I think produces videos as well... I guess he's like Randy, but you know, he's younger and the whole "dawg" stuff would seem more real coming from him Another is a Record Exec... he's oldest there, is pretty straight forward... kind of like the other side of Randy. The final guy is the "mean" one... but he's really no meaner then all the rest. He does make some blunt comments, probably more then others, but all of them at least once said something outright rude. Anyways, he used to be in some band I never heard of, now I think he helps produce... I don't know.

Something interesting about these judges is the two young guys are whilling to flirt with the girls. It made some of the show's more memorable moments... at one point this babe in a stunning dress came in, the guys kind of just stared at her, and asked her to sing. You could see on their faces how disapointed they were when she opened her mouth and did a TERRIBLE job. The guy says, with disapointment in his tone, "You're lovely... but your singing is terrible..."

There are two hosts, one is a "roaming reporter" but he seems to just be used when the main host can't be. The main host is actually the son of a former Prime Minister... that's not why he was hired though, the guy is actually in the TV industy and hosts a few entertainment programs up here... though I'm sure it helps!

I thought that the judges made a lot of STRANGE choices. Also, more choices made on a "look" then actual voice. I was incredibly puzzeled at what they thought was good. I mean, they let by average people, then let in people who sounded bad and boring.

The singers were also very boring... all of it sounded pretty much the same. I guess in American Idol you have more people and can show a bunch of interesting ones. Not so here... most were utterly forgettable.

Seeing Calgary again was weird... I just moved from there three months ago... used to walk down the streets they showed every day. Still see it's full of morons though.

All in all though, the show seemed like a poor episode of American Idol. The US is just better at producing freaks and entertainment exploiting those freaks. The Quebec auditions next week should be funny though... afterall, it's the only place on earth where Celine Dion is liked
Old 06-10-03, 06:09 AM

Sass Jordan is the singer, "Paula"-type. I can't name any of her songs right now (though she did cover the Fontella Bass song "Rescue Me.")

I think it's hilarious, that one guy, who they let in because they liked his look. They all said no, then for some reason, they all changed their votes. I think they editted something out.

If I hear "Falling" (Alicia Keyes) one more time.....

Wouldn't be so sure that people in Quebec still like Celine, by the way
Old 06-10-03, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Where can I watch this? I don't think it's on here in Chicago.
Old 06-10-03, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I missed this last night. I will start to watch it next week though. I think that people from Newfoundland are on next week as well...
Old 06-10-03, 10:23 AM

huzefa--It's not airing in the US. I'm sure the feeling (on the parts of both US and Canadian networks) is that Americans don't want to watch Canadian TV, even Canadian versions of British shows that became popular in Canada in an American permutation. So there we have it.
Old 06-10-03, 10:26 AM

I imagine the best part about watching "Canadian Idol" would be no "special" appearances by Kelly Clarkson or godawful clips from that upcoming movie.
Old 06-10-03, 10:28 AM

Groucho--I didn't watch the whole thing, but from what I believe I heard, Ruben and Clay made an appearance.
Old 06-10-03, 10:30 AM

Originally posted by Laertes
Groucho--I didn't watch the whole thing, but from what I believe I heard, Ruben and Clay made an appearance.
Ugh. But at least they have talent, I suppose.
Old 06-10-03, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Another notch of embarrasment in Canada's cultural/identity-crisis belt. It was annoying enough that the American version of this effluent was piped up here.
Old 06-10-03, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There were no apperances by anyone from American Idol in this episode. No one I noticed. The only person who made an apperance was Jan Arden.

I think it's hilarious, that one guy, who they let in because they liked his look. They all said no, then for some reason, they all changed their votes. I think they editted something out.
I think that one guy just changed his vote to yes afterwords, because he did like his look, and since everyone else said no, he decided to say yes. Kind of as a joke. Then another person did, then another. Heh.

Wouldn't be so sure that people in Quebec still like Celine, by the way.
But her posters are all over Montreal damnit!

For americans who want to watch the episode... I'm sure it can be downloaded somewhere... I don't think that counts as piracy if you can't even see it broadcast normally :P

Last edited by BizRodian; 06-10-03 at 04:18 PM.
Old 06-10-03, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Do we need another Celine Dion????
Old 06-10-03, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What about another Guess Who?

And don't worry... all that was on the show last night were a bunch of Alicia Keys wannabes. I really don't see this show turning out to be very good. It could never reach the public the way American Idol does... there was vritually NO ONE that struck a cord at all. That said, they hardly showed any of the winners. The editing and direction was pretty odd.
Old 06-11-03, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh, here's the official site BTW ---> http://www.ctv.ca/generic/WebSpecial...l/default.html
Old 06-11-03, 06:35 AM

Originally posted by BizRodian
There were no apperances by anyone from American Idol in this episode. No one I noticed. The only person who made an apperance was Jan Arden.
Yeah, I think you're right. I know Ruben and Clay were hosted by CTV when they visited, and I think they'll make an appearance on a later episode.

I think that one guy just changed his vote to yes afterwords, because he did like his look, and since everyone else said no, he decided to say yes. Kind of as a joke. Then another person did, then another. Heh.
I believe the last guy said that if this guy had come into his office with his acoustic guitar, singing his own songs, he would sign him on the spot, so he wasn't sure. Then he said yes, and then everyone, 'cause they kinda liked his looks suddenly became a yes. WTF????

GuessWho--It's funny, I had always assumed you named yourself after the band. But now, I'm not so sure. Did you?

Norm--Yeah, I agree. It still amuses me though.
Old 06-11-03, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

GuessWho--It's funny, I had always assumed you named yourself after the band. But now, I'm not so sure. Did you?
Not at all... my username is my last name with "Who" added on
Old 06-11-03, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anything beats the five minutes of Train48 I saw. I thought I tuned into the public access channel... at midnight...
Old 06-11-03, 09:25 AM

I won't diss Train 48. I know people on it. Seems okay, but yeah, doesn't hold my attention.
Old 06-13-03, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Laertes, you are giving these americans more reason to belive the old "You're from Canada? do you know Sally?" line!

But I can respect Train 48 because at least they're trying something that is unique.
Old 06-13-03, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I won't diss Train 48. I know people on it. Seems okay, but yeah, doesn't hold my attention.
I think Global deserves some credit for trying something relatively novel (it's based on an Australian show, and has soap opera elements), but I agree that it just isn't very interesting. Apparently it's predominantly improvised, which may be why the actors often seem at a loss for words.
The beer-swiller in the ball cap is intermittently hilarious, though blatantly stereotypical: "Yeah, hey buds, with my woman I just go in for the kill, eh? Boom!"
Old 06-16-03, 06:09 AM

Laertes, you are giving these americans more reason to belive the old "You're from Canada? do you know Sally?" line!

I know Sally. She's quite nice.
Old 06-17-03, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I saw the second episode tonight and it was truely terrible. God, I'm not watching anymore. Who'd have thought you could screw up such a low budget/simple show?
Old 06-17-03, 06:22 AM

I'm not challenging you or anything, I'm genuinely interested. Why do you think it's any worse than American Idol? I have the same reaction to both, "This show is terrible, but I can't stop myself...."
Old 06-18-03, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Beats me. I just find it totally uninteresting. Maybe I'll feel the same way towards American Idol 3 auditions too, I don't know.
Old 06-19-03, 12:09 PM
Cool New Member

The "mean" judge on Canadian Idol looks like Mike LaFontaine in "A Mighty Wind"

"HEY, WHA HAPPENED!"
Old 07-10-03, 12:49 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I finally saw an episode of this through alternative means... wow, it's kinda sad for the top 100 level. There were some decent singers in there, but some of the most praised performances were horrid. They were the types of performances that, if this had been American Idol, I would've eagerly awaited a Simon Cowell thrashing afterward. But the 'mean' one at his worst just looks bored and doesn't comment. It needs some objectivity in a major way.