TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Fame

Old 05-29-03, 01:08 AM

Fame

This show is so much better than AI. The judges are actually honest. The talent is far superior too. In order to move to the next round,the contestants have to be able sing, dance, and be able to shine in a group number.The best part of the show is the tv audience doesnt decide
Old 05-29-03, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The two hosts are expendable. Come on, Joey from N'Sync - don't you have enough money already???
I don't like the 80s style clothing i.e. leather jackets, torn denim jeans, see-through mesh shirts similar to the FAME show ... ummm I love the 80s reunion???
I think the women hurt themselves especially the Asian chick by dressing like a cheerleader. The short skirts ... were they allowed to dress themselves?
Also, the group dance/sing number should be before the individual songs. Unless someone falls on their ass, there is no way the group number means anything as you could tell from the judges who they were picking after the individual songs.
All in all, not enough BAD singers, not enough goofiness or harsh criticism from the judges. Many of the critiques sounds repetitive because of AI even if they were true i.e. you made the song your own.

They said after the judges narrow it down to 12, the audience will begin to decide. Also, it sounds like there will be a wildcard(s)
from the audience with the tapes they send in.

I would watch if it is not up against AR4.

Last edited by chowderhead; 05-29-03 at 01:26 AM.
Old 05-29-03, 01:40 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Man, in the "I Go To Work" number, some of those white girls rapping reminded me of Homer Simpson's "Mr. Plow" rap... don't ever do that again.
Old 05-29-03, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That first girl to go was amazingly talented and amazingly hot.

Seems like these people were better singers than the people on AI.

I saw nothing wrong with the short skirts
Old 05-29-03, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Why would this show (on Wednesdays) be against Amazing Race (on Thursdays)?
Old 05-29-03, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I agree that the talent was superior to American Idol. I enjoyed watching, but without the underlying negative tone, it won't get any ratings. Still, I was entertained. It was interesting to see how patient Allen could be with some of them. That type of patience is necessary if you really want them to succeed, and I'm sure she'll show considerably less patience as the competition goes on and the stakes get higher, but not everyone is a professional on day one. Her goal wasn't to shatter people's dreams, and that was somewhat refreshing.

I also agree on some of the outfits. I know they want to stand out, but dressing like a cheap 80's whore isn't the way to do it. Did they give them only two songs to choose from for the first auditions? It got to the point where someone was going to have to die if I heard "All That Jazz" again.

Overall, it was entertaining, and it's nice to see some real talent shine through. I couldn't concentrate though without Mrs. Grant Allen tapping her cane against the dance floor. "You want fame? Well, fame costs ... and right here's where you start paying ... in sweat."

das
Old 05-29-03, 09:17 AM

Originally posted by das Monkey
Overall, it was entertaining, and it's nice to see some real talent shine through. I couldn't concentrate though without Mrs. Grant Allen tapping her cane against the dance floor. "You want fame? Well, fame costs ... and right here's where you start paying ... in sweat."

das
YES! I was going to say the same thing! HA! Still, thoroughly entertaining. I already like it WAY more than AI. MUCH better concept, IMO. Hopefully, if this does nothing else, it will get us some FAME season dvd releases.
Old 05-29-03, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth jkingfish
Hopefully, if this does nothing else, it will get us some FAME season dvd releases.

It's sad how happy this would make me.

das
Old 05-29-03, 09:29 AM

Likewise.... *sigh*
Old 05-29-03, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I missed this the other night but I was intrigued by the commercials. It's always nice to see talented people (especially dancers, as I think that's one of the hardest "talents" to excel in.)

It already looked so much better than AI because some of these people seem to actual have, dare I say, TALENT.
Old 05-29-03, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

OMG, Talent.

das
Old 06-04-03, 11:11 PM

Originally posted by chowderhead
Also, the group dance/sing number should be before the individual songs. Unless someone falls on their ass, there is no way the group number means anything as you could tell from the judges who they were picking after the individual songs.
Ok, I take this back. The dance routine means NOTHING! If I saw correctly, Jo Lo Part deux (AKA Jamisen) fell on her ass at the end of the group dance routine. Didn't matter, as the judges picked her over three others.
bah. I rather the audience pick the three.

Last edited by chowderhead; 06-04-03 at 11:23 PM.
Old 06-05-03, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

any pix of the britney spears looks alike from the 1st show of fame?
Old 06-05-03, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched 1 1/2 episodes and couldn't take it anymore. Those people have little to no talent, IMHO.

Old 06-05-03, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Am I the only one who noticed that they were lip-synching during the final group number last night?
Old 06-05-03, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Last nights group was WAY worse than the first week. Although that Jamison girl is hot, she sucked and shouldn't be in the next round (although I'm not complaining).
Old 06-05-03, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by immortal_zeus
I watched 1 1/2 episodes and couldn't take it anymore. Those people have little to no talent, IMHO.

I agree. It seems like these people want to make it to Broadway, however, I have serious doubts that any of them could ever do anything more than chorus.
Old 06-05-03, 11:48 AM

It seemed like there was more strong talent last week. The only halfway talented person last night was Serena (#4) IMO. The judges were all over the first guy and how great he was and all I could think was that he butchered one of my favorite Stevie Wonder songs, the next girl was so off-key I thought I saw the obviously professional back-up vocalists give her an evil look, the next guy I thought needed better microphone technique and smiled way too much (never thought there was such a thing but I guess there is), the number 5 person, I didn't even hear because I was in another room but I heard the judges say "I think your strength is in your dancing" which is not a good sign when he didn't do very much in that number and the last person I didn't hear either but when the best compliment is "will you marry me?" that's not saying much.

Also, I thought this was supposed to be live but they are showing stuff that looks unfamiliar for next weeks show and it looks like the judges are supposed to get meaner.
Old 06-05-03, 01:25 PM

Who ever was doing the audio mix For nbC needs to be fired. It seemed as the background crew was "live" while the singers on stage seemed to be in studio isolated. What I mean is , it sounded like the music and the singers were in two different places. Plus, it also seemed like there was a delay with the words from which was coming out their mouth.
Old 07-17-03, 11:13 AM

nobody must be watching...They're down to their last week next week, and no posts since over a month ago...hmm...
Old 07-17-03, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I've tried to watch this show, but it's just too tame/lame.
Old 07-17-03, 12:04 PM

I'm watching but I haven't been voting at all, even though I really like that Harlem Lee guy, I think he is just so into everything he does and has a good time, wants the audience to have a good time and is also really good. It kills me that he always does a chick song, and he does it over the top, yet he completely gets away with it. I'm glad the spoiler got voted off, he was a good dancer, but his singing - ugh! I personally think the blonde girl is not very good, she's ok, don't get me wrong, but she had a lot of pitch problems last night and an extremely weak ending (I mean she has no vocal strength), but she will probably go far because of the comparisons to Brittany (ugh).
Old 07-17-03, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Is the redhead (Allison) still in it? I like her performances and cute looks, but I don't think she's got that "it" factor.

I can't stand that Eminem wannabe. Ugh.
Old 07-17-03, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by Patman
Is the redhead (Allison) still in it? I like her performances and cute looks, but I don't think she's got that "it" factor.

I can't stand that Eminem wannabe. Ugh.
she just got voted out this past week.

Down to 4 people.
Harlem, the blonde, and two others.

I had it on in the background last night and barely paid attention.
First time 1/2 way watching, I think next week they go from 4 down to the final winner.
Old 07-17-03, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Also, the judges are lame(r) too. The radio jockey is so annoying at times.