Old 05-26-03, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
CNN Suffers Post-War Trauma

It's a conspiracy!!!

How did this happen?

from imdb.com

Since the end of the Iraq war, CNN has seen a disastrous plunge in its ratings from where they were prior to the war, CNN cofounder Reese Schonfeld observed on his website Friday. Without citing sources, Schonfeld disclosed that from January 1 to February 15, CNN/Headline News combined averaged a 43.5-percent marketshare. Last week, he said, the combined total of the two news channels is 37.3 percent. On the other hand, he noted, Fox News now commands 51 percent of the share points, up 42 percent over its pre-war numbers. "This is a time for ... analysis," Schonfeld declared on his website, . "This is unprecedented and calls for immediate action." <---

Last edited by Giantrobo; 05-26-03 at 09:07 PM.
Old 05-26-03, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They brought this upon themselves. I'm a loyal CNN viewer and laugh at how silly Fox's "news" coverage is, but CNN's insistence on repeated doomsaying during the war got to be too much. We expect and depend on Fox to give us the most imbalanced and biased coverage on television. It's almost tongue-in-cheek the way they promote themselves. But I hold CNN up to a higher standard, and it got to the point where I didn't feel I could get the full story from them.

If I'm to get slanted coverage, I'd rather get it from hot women and funny frat-boys.

das
Old 05-26-03, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey
They brought this upon themselves. I'm a loyal CNN viewer and laugh at how silly Fox's "news" coverage is, but CNN's insistence on repeated doomsaying during the war got to be too much. We expect and depend on Fox to give us the most imbalanced and biased coverage on television. It's almost tongue-in-cheek the way they promote themselves. But I hold CNN up to a higher standard, and it got to the point where I didn't feel I could get the full story from them.

If I'm to get slanted coverage, I'd rather get it from hot women and funny frat-boys.

das

But das Fox is fair and it is balanced I say it on TV.
Old 05-26-03, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
On a side note I do like cnn.com better than foxnews.com but lately I have been using the google news beta service.

Last edited by Michael T Hudson; 05-26-03 at 10:03 PM.
Old 05-26-03, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth BigDaddy •<HR SIZE=1>But das Fox is fair and it is balanced I say it on TV. <HR SIZE=1>

I know ... they report ... we decide.

das
Old 05-26-03, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think CNN is trying to define itself by its competition rather than trying to just be itself. Bad CNN... bad!
Old 05-26-03, 11:17 PM
Banned

Location: John "57 Varieties" Kerry represents me in the US Senate.
Speaking of that, what little I've seen of MSNBC suggests to me that they're thinking, "Hey, FNC seems to be having some success. Let's try to do what they do." MSNBC has that Scarborough [sp?] guy on now; didn't he replace lefty Phil Donahue? And isn't there a new Saturday show with Mike Savage, who's so far right he even scares me?

Regardless, I see this as a positive development. Which you might have guessed given that my "homepage" takes you to foxnews.com. Next, I want to see the Wall Street Journal quadruple its circulation, and cause the New York Times to move to the right.
Old 05-27-03, 03:48 AM

Re: CNN Suffers Post-War Trauma

Originally posted by Giantrobo
It's a conspiracy!!!

How did this happen?

from imdb.com

Since the end of the Iraq war, CNN has seen a disastrous plunge in its ratings from where they were prior to the war, CNN cofounder Reese Schonfeld observed on his website Friday. Without citing sources, Schonfeld disclosed that from January 1 to February 15, CNN/Headline News combined averaged a 43.5-percent marketshare. Last week, he said, the combined total of the two news channels is 37.3 percent. On the other hand, he noted, Fox News now commands 51 percent of the share points, up 42 percent over its pre-war numbers. "This is a time for ... analysis," Schonfeld declared on his website, . "This is unprecedented and calls for immediate action." <---
So Schonfeld is saying that heads will roll and that there will be a major shake up at CNN they can start by firing that turn coat Paula Zahn stay tuned kids....
Old 05-27-03, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thank God Paula left the morning show. I get in at 6:00 AM, and they have to have that crap coffee party going on . At least she's gone now, but Meathead Hemmer is still there. And Mr. McConservative (Jack what-his-name) is kinda funny, but just a little too scripted. He's like CNNs attempt to show they present both sides. I loved it when he would wrap up and Paula would go "but, what about the children" or whatever, and not sincerely either, but only because she couldn't let conservatism have the last word, no matter what the issue - so hollow and automatic, like a robot... anyway, I'd half expect Crabby-Jack to reach over and slap her.

Actually, with the war over, I don't have to watch 'em anymore, yay! (No, I don't get FOXNews, just CNN and the networks).
Old 05-27-03, 05:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
CNN really made it's impact back in the first desert strike and they were hoping that they would come out the ratings winner in this conflict aswell.. they did not. Fox's "fair and balanced" news took that prize. mainly because they were really for the war and they showed it from the start to the end while cnn and msnbc sort of held a nuetral ground for a bit to long losing out on many people's viewership for a station that could make up their mind and run with the mentality one way or the other.
Old 05-27-03, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They've become a 24hr news channel all the time. How BORING is that!!

Bring back Crossfire from 7-8 pm and Talkback Live at 3.00pm weekdays..

No smart thinking moron watches news 24/7

Cheers!

Last edited by shanester; 05-27-03 at 06:00 AM.
Old 05-27-03, 11:03 AM

To me, the way CNN covers a story is absolutely awful. This report first, then tell the truth later way that they've been doing since their inception really bugs me. If you had watched CNN on Sept 11, 2001 and believed what they told us, then the Washington Monument would be gone, the State Department had multiple car bombs, and there were planes headed for every major city in the US. Less than two hours later, they retracted every single one of the previous items. They did it during both Gulf Wars, OKC Bombing, OJ, and other major stories. I havent watched CNN since Sept 11, haven't watched Fox either, and don't plan to start watching them anytime soon.
Old 05-27-03, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I like Aaron Brown he comes across like a normal person who f*** up every now an then like the rest of us..

..Although I almost fell of my chair when he gave his little editorial b4 the war started about how in no way does CNN hope for a conflict because preventing unecessary bloodshed is more important than ratings

TV is always about ratings pure and simple especially cable stations!

Last edited by shanester; 05-27-03 at 03:57 PM.
Old 05-27-03, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Aaron Brown's okay... Wolf Blitzer most certainly is not.