Reload this Page >

Enterprise 05/21/03

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Enterprise 05/21/03

Old 05-20-03, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Enterprise 05/21/03

Since series threads are being started early.....

Episode Title: 'The Expanse'

Spoiler:
In the season finale, Earth is savagely attacked by a mysterious alien probe that leaves millions of people killed. When Archer learns that the culprit species is planning to destroy the entire planet with their next assault, Enterprise embarks on a new mission into the dangerous and highly mysterious Delphic Expanse to put a stop to it. Although T'Pol is given a direct order from the Vulcan High Command not to participate in this mission, she resigns her post in order to continue with Enterprise. Meanwhile, the Klingons, who are bent on destroying Archer, continue their hot pursuit of Enterprise all the way into the expanse.

Written By: Rick Berman & Brannon Braga
Directed By: Allan Kroeker

OK, I'll admit I'm looking forward to this one. I don't know how all these changes will work out (if they will at all), but I'm certainly glad they're finally doing something.

Braga claims this storyline will last the whole season. Can B&B actually sustain a story arc for an entire season? Find out starting here!
Old 05-20-03, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
From the preview, the effect of attacking Earth reminded me of Titan A.E. with the shockwave sweeping over the planet.
Old 05-20-03, 10:12 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
I guess we can just throw the whole timeline developed in all the previous ST series out the proverbial window.

Okay, I'll go with it - for now. But B&B have not demonstrated an ability to write an interesting and consistent long-term story arc.
Old 05-20-03, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They found the solution to all the descrepencies between Enterprise and rest of the series. It's so simple the planet was destroyed and no one will remember anything.
Old 05-20-03, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
I'm getting scared. I have actually enjoyed the last 3 episodes of Enterprise. Could they possibly have 4 in a row that are decent?
Old 05-20-03, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Bandoman
I guess we can just throw the whole timeline developed in all the previous ST series out the proverbial window.
I think Braga may of read my Borg/timeline idea from a few weeks ago:
Following the screening there was a short Q&A. Braga teased, "No direct threatening questions". When asked about continuity discrepancies in "Regeneration", Braga replied the "timeline has been altered". A temporal paradox? Along the same theme, he added that next season would be edgier.
Link
And as to the whole temporal cold war plot:
Spoiler:
it continues in The Expanse: the race that attacks earth is doing so to prevent an attack on them 400 years in the future.
Old 05-21-03, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Based upon what I've read, this episode may be interesting. However, it is, in my view, Star Trek's last stand. If I am not convinced to view the series after tonight's episode, then goodbye, I'm not watching UPN anymore.
Old 05-21-03, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Wizdar
Spoiler:
Based on the previews, here’s what I think: when the Shadows got kicked out of “our” universe, they left behind some technology that was grabbed by another race and used in a retribution act against Earth…

...say, what?

Oh, sorry.
Cripes!! Spoiler that! What happens if Bandoman reads this!

Last edited by Chew; 05-21-03 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-21-03, 10:22 AM
Enormous Genitals

Wizdar! [shakes fist] Did you just spoilerize B5?

Don't worry, I guessed that somehow the Shadows would be defeated in the end. At least I hoped that would be the case.
Old 05-21-03, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am SO SORRY guys! I would never do that if my brain was attached.

Bando can you ever forgive me?

A thousand and one pardons.
Old 05-21-03, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by resinrats
From the preview, the effect of attacking Earth reminded me of Titan A.E. with the shockwave sweeping over the planet.
That was apparently a reused FX from last season's finale.
Old 05-21-03, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by Bandoman
Isn't that what they did by starting this show in the first place?
Old 05-21-03, 03:01 PM
Enormous Genitals

Originally posted by Wizdar
Bando can you ever forgive me?
Money talks. Make me an offer.
Old 05-21-03, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
did I miss the destruction of Earth from the preview?
photon torpedoes
other starfleet ships
the newsgroups will be interesting tomorrow
Old 05-21-03, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Did this feel a little like Crusade in some respects?

Anyhow, this was basically a reboot for Enterprise, a second chance/pilot to get it right or better.
Old 05-21-03, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked how there was a lot going on. There's been a lot of episodes where there were scenes that were unnecessary. This episode kept that to a limit, and went straight to the important parts.
Old 05-21-03, 11:14 PM

Originally posted by Patman

Anyhow, this was basically a reboot for Enterprise, a second chance/pilot to get it right or better.
eh. Interesting watching Star Trek X: The Wrath of the Clone earlier in the day and seeing another Star Trek II nod with the "new" direction of Enterprise. It is time for the franchise to take a time-out, get rid of B&B and either come up with something truly different or shut the warp core down.
Old 05-22-03, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Good Points: Stuff happened!. I'm not sure I necessarily agree 7 million people live along a (wide) line from Florida to South America though. We have temporary closure to the Klingon storyline. They continued the Temporal Cold War.

Bad Points: I don't agree with B&B's choice to go with a new race for this plotline. The Xindi were never heard from during Kirk's or Picard's time? Why not continue true Trek history by having the Romulans hiding out in the Expanse and therefore plant the seeds of the coming war? (They would never truly have to see one another to continue the plotline and stay true to the history of Romulan/Earth contact).

Why is it after a 7 week journey (which seems a lot less than 3 months ), they still can contact Starfleet? I remember TOS would say a communication from Starfleet would take weeks sometimes.
They've now developed variable yield photon torpedoes?

Another question: Did anybody get a good look at the new Starfleet vessels? Two seemed to be smaller, but didn't the third look like an NX? (Even though NX-02 is still being built)

But even with all this, I still look forward to what's going to happen next season.

I think I'm coming down with Wizdar disease....
Old 05-22-03, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally posted by Patman
This is what I was thinking throughout the episode. First we have G'Kar showing up and now this, I guess they're mining JMS material all over the place

The episode itself wasn't bad. This was the first episode I really liked Tripp so that worked out. Nice to see them pick up the Klingon storyline again. I missed most of the first season so I'm still trying to play catch-up with the temporal cold war storylines that keep popping up.

I'll stick around next season to see where they go with this.
Old 05-22-03, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Eh. I think the Romulan idea above would have been a better way to go.

I also don't like the torpedos - if I remember correctly, the Enterprise in TOS did not have torpedoes until Season 2.
Old 05-22-03, 08:36 AM
razorbackfan

I've usually been the biggest defender of ENTERPRISE on this board, but I felt The Expanse was a disappointment. I would think if 7 million people were killed, there would have been a bit more emotion displayed instead of the cardboard acting (remember the country's emotions after 911?). Maybe the season finale would have been better served in a two part episode. There could have been more on the destruction caused by V'Ger, I mean the alien probe, really showing the people struggle and the ENTERPRISE crew deal with this event. T'Pol just decides "Ok I'll go with you" without even contacting the High Command? That could have been a great dramatic scene. About the only scene I did enjoy was the Archer-Tripp drinking scene, but even that was flat and showed little emotion. And the military was placed on ENTERPRISE at Archers request. Where were they? I was told next season will be edge of your seat stuff, with
Spoiler:
Archer actually getting a backbone, and one or two major characters being killed or seriously injured, and lots of fighting
. For the sake of the show, and what little fans are left, I hope so.
Old 05-22-03, 09:11 AM

I was a little surprised photon torpedos appeared.. does that mean they've had photon torpedos for 200 years almost?

Still, the rest of the episode was OK... I think they said the Xindi will be destroyed 400 years from present day, so that would be in 2550s, which is the 26th century. That's probably why Kirk or Picard never heard of them.
Old 05-22-03, 10:34 AM

Did the ending remind anyone of the battle in Star Trek II? The Enterprise in a cloud making a maneuver so they can blow up a ship by sneaking in behind them?

Overall, not a bad show though...although I'm not convinced that this "new direction" is going to add many new fans to the series.
Old 05-22-03, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by mikehunt
did I miss the destruction of Earth from the preview?
Looks like you and I are the only ones who caught that.
Originally posted by Chew
Why is it after a 7 week journey (which seems a lot less than 3 months ), they still can contact Starfleet? I remember TOS would say a communication from Starfleet would take weeks sometimes.
&
Originally posted by razorbackfan
About the only scene I did enjoy was the Archer-Tripp drinking scene, but even that was flat and showed little emotion.

[]

And the military was placed on ENTERPRISE at Archers request. Where were they?
Interesting. They had a “heavily-armed” group of researchers going to a frozen wasteland where there wasn’t a soul for thousands of miles, but don’t have a “military” presence on a mildly-armed starship?

BTW, those were antimatter torpedoes. And it appears that they can just have them lying around without any worry about containment.

I enjoyed this one, but I thought there was just too much going on and it wondered aimlessly. This would have worked well as a two-parter cliffhanger. I expected a cliffhanger.

And, why would the Xindi shoot us with a weapon that would only piss us off?? Since they’re building a planet buster, it would make more sense to use that first and be done with us.

I could do half a page on why the whole time-stream concept that they’re using is brutally flawed. (Are we gonna have a repeat of Dallas?) Many objected to the overuse of holodecks on Voyager. I think reaching into the Suliban bag and pulling out the ole time capsule when they have writer’s block is worse.

I don’t like where this is going with respect to N’Pol. Obviously, like last week, there will be more opportunities for Blalock to showcase her talents. She has none. (OK. She has two.) She and Keanu Reeves are quite equal in the talent department, IMHO.

Originally posted by Nathan Gervais
It is time for the franchise to take a time-out, get rid of B&B and either come up with something truly different or shut the warp core down.
Like a car crash, I can’t not look. If it went away, I wouldn’t miss it at all.

I think I'm coming down with Wizdar disease....
God help you!
Old 05-22-03, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So, did I understand this correctly?

Since Enterprise is getting a complement of military personel on this new mission - to whom we were never introduced in this season ender - will we have new cast members next year?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.