Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Tivo/Season Pass question

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-03, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tivo/Season Pass question

I am still a new convert to Tivo after having ReplayTV for several years.

I had a question for long-time Tivo users--

Do you delete Season Passes after a show has ended the season? I used to delete my "guaranteed show channels" on ReplayTV because they took up disc space. But I often hear Tivo users mention that they have Season Passes for shows that aren't currently airing new episodes (such as the Sopranos).

I have my Season Passes set up to only record new episodes, but I wondered if there was any benefit to deleting the Season Passes for shows until they return in the fall?

I know having a lot of Season Passes seems to slow down things sometimes, such as when you are updating the Season Pass manager.

I was just interested in hearing how you guys handle it.
Old 05-17-03, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
A couple of things you can do:

1) Go to Pick Programs to Record, go to Season Pass Manager and then move all the shows on summer hiatus down on the list so new stuff has priority.

2) Go into the individual season pass for each show and change the recording option from whatever it is on to record only new shows. That way, since they are all in rerun, you won't pick up any of them, and you don't have to bother deleting and then redoing it in the Fall.

Personally, I keep my season passes on there. I just move them down. Shows that start up in the summer get moved up, like Monk.
Old 05-17-03, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I leave my Season Passes as is. Is it worth worrying about moving them around for a few months when the show is not currently in first-run? Nah. How much time are you going to really save by taking those steps anyway? A second or two here and there. Not worth it, IMO. Leaving them alone guarantees I'll catch the Season Premiere, since I don't always know when it will be on. As you know, having a PVR really allows you to not have to pay attention to such things.
Old 05-17-03, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I leave them where they are. If a show gets cancelled, it gets taken off the season pass list. Otherwise I keep it on, just to make sure I get the season when it starts, I don't pay attention to that kind of thing.
Old 05-17-03, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I delete mine as the shows go into repeats and then add them back in the fall so that schedule/time changes won't cause me to lose anything. There seems to be several shows changing times next season.

Sam
Old 05-17-03, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I keep my season passes almost always. If a show I really like is canceled I will setup a wishlist for the show in case someone else picks it up.
Old 05-18-03, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I delete them and re-add in the fall.
Old 05-18-03, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 234 Likes on 138 Posts
I keep them. It only takes a couple minutes once a week to delete them from the To Do list, and sometimes I catch a rerun listed in To Do that I barely remember or missed the first time around for whatever reason.
Old 05-18-03, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by HotThang
I delete mine as the shows go into repeats and then add them back in the fall so that schedule/time changes won't cause me to lose anything. There seems to be several shows changing times next season.
A Seson Pass will pick up any time changes automatically, that's the beauty of it!
Old 05-19-03, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So is there any benefit to having less Season Passes? I thought I read somewhere that having a lot slows down your system.

Is that true?

If it is, I wouldn't mind deleting and re-adding mine, especially the shows that I have seen all the eps.
Old 05-19-03, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts
Well, I have noticed extreme slowdown when you have a lot of season passes/wishlists and you try to change the recording options or order. This is probably because TIVO has to recalculate what's going to be recorded, when it's going to be recorded, and what's going to be deleted first. So cleaning up your season passes can save you some time, especially if you have more than 20 or so.

I also noticed that some shows change names between seasons. I think Survivor is like this.

Some stations don't give out enough information to help TIVO determine if a show is new or not. MTV is infamous for this. So even if you set it to record only new shows, for some shows it'll record everything (as I found out with Punk'd)
Old 05-19-03, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by fujishig
So even if you set it to record only new shows, for some shows it'll record everything (as I found out with Punk'd)
And The Daily Show.
Old 05-20-03, 12:39 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Originally posted by Chew
And The Daily Show.
MTV and Comedy Central are lousy about their program descriptions. I set up manual t&cs for those. Can usually snag that stuff off prime hours anyway.
Old 05-20-03, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by Jadzia
So is there any benefit to having less Season Passes? I thought I read somewhere that having a lot slows down your system.

Is that true?

If it is, I wouldn't mind deleting and re-adding mine, especially the shows that I have seen all the eps.
Wishlists can slow the operating system down quite a bit. Normal season passes, not so much.