Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CBS - Fall 2003 Lineup thread

Official announcement is Wednesday.

Here is the early speculation:

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/cgi/go...wswire&id=5947

Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 8:39 AM
CBS Says Yes to Five New Dramas, Two New Comedies
By Brian Ford Sullivan

CHICAGO (thefutoncritic.com) - While CBS is keeping a tight lid on its fall 2003 schedule, various sources have indicated the Eye network will go forward with five new dramas and two new comedies. In addition, the network is expected to make several drastic changes including shifting "King of Queens" and "The Guardian" to new nights.

Here's a breakdown of the latest rumblings:

-- Mondays see "Yes, Dear" taking over the leadoff position at 8:00/7:00c followed by a relocated "Still Standing" at 8:30/7:30c. "Raymond" and "C.S.I.: Miami" will of course stay in their current homes, with Charlie Sheen's new comedy "Two and a Half Men" filling the gap between the two.

-- Tuesdays have "J.A.G." and its spin-off "N.C.I.S." (working title) filling the 8:00/7:00c and 9:00/8:00c hours respectively with "Judging Amy" rounding out the night at 10:00/9:00c.

-- Wednesdays are set to have a newly relocated "King of Queens" open a new one-hour comedy block along with newcomer "The Stones" at 8:30/7:30c. "60 Minutes II" will stick around at 9:00/8:00c followed by the Joe Pantoliano-led drama "Street Boss."

-- Thursdays, as expected, will see "Survivor," "C.S.I." and "Without a Trace" holding steady in their current slots.

-- Fridays are looking to lean on David E. Kelley's latest "The Brotherhood of Poland, N.H." kicking off the night at 8:00/7:00c followed by another newcomer, Jerry Bruckheimer's "The Unsolved" at 9:00/8:00c. "48 Hours Investigates" would then move back to its old Friday, 10:00/9:00c home.

-- Saturdays have former Friday drama "Hack" opening the night at 8:00/7:00c followed by former Tuesday drama "The Guardian." "The District" should get bumped back to its old 10:00/9:00c slot. "The Agency" is looking unlikely to make the cut.

-- And despite the rumors, CBS' Sunday movie night is set to remain intact at 9:00/8:00c along with Sunday mainstsay "60 Minutes" at 7:00/6:00c. The only addition: the new drama "Joan of Arcadia" in the 8:00/7:00c hour. Surprisingly "My Big Fat Greek Life" is expected to get the axe while "Becker" may return at midseason.

Damn you CBS! Why the F are you moving King of Queens??? To Wednesdays at 8 no less!!! Now I have a real problem for 8 pm Wednesday: King of Queens, That 70s Show, Enterprise, and Smallville. I hope my UPN and WB affiliates continue doing encore presentations of Enterprise and Smallville because otherwise I'm SOL unless I want to invest in more PVRs.

Ironic that I only watch 3 network comedies and now 2 of them will go head to head.

Plus CBS has to can The Agency. Damn you. I might pick up The Guardian - that is one show that seemed interesting but it was in a bad time slot for me.
Old 05-13-03, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone believe that Hack survived for a 2nd season? If anyone was taking bets on Hack being a 1st season casualty at the start of this season, I would have taken that bet.
Old 05-13-03, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What the ****? The Agency better make the ****ing cut! God damn you CBS for relegating this show to Saturday nights. Move it to a night where it ****ing fits in!
Old 05-13-03, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

That sucks that they are moving King of Queens.
It belongs on Monday along with Raymond.
And that gets me to watch Yes Dear and Still Standing having them sandwiched in there.

Now I'm not sure.

Wed is going to be a tough day in the fall.
Old 05-13-03, 11:19 AM

I agree with deftones.. CBS better find a spot for the Agency..
Old 05-13-03, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Darq
I agree with deftones.. CBS better find a spot for the Agency..

Agency was a bubble show, so I am not holding my breath. What is really going to suck is that I would guess that the finale will be some kind of cliffhanger that will never be resolved.
Old 05-13-03, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Now there is the WB whammy that they are not doing encore presentations of Smallville on Sundays. If UPN does not continue re-running Enterprise on Saturday nights, it looks like Enterprise will be the show I have to jettison.
Old 05-13-03, 12:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking forward to The Unsolved on Friday's.
Old 05-13-03, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I found that the only reason to watch The Agency was for Paige Turco, so I soon lost interest in the new direction of the show this season, and off to the wayside it went.
Old 05-13-03, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Patman
I found that the only reason to watch The Agency was for Paige Turco, so I soon lost interest in the new direction of the show this season, and off to the wayside it went.

She is very hot. I also think this season was not as good as last season's but I have definitely enjoyed the last half-dozen episodes or so.
Old 05-13-03, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ugh ... this is getting ugly. I applaud the networks for showing some faith in a large part of their programming for the first time in a number of years, but the timeslot moves are killing me.

I agree that the King of Queens move is killer. It was so easy to watch on the void that was Monday nights, but Wednesday is freakin' packed. The loss of EasyView Smallville doesn't help.

HD-DirecTiVo ... you can't get here fast enough.

Oh, and look for Joan of Arcadia to die the classic NFL death as it will be consistently preempted when trying to establish an audience.

das
Old 05-13-03, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk God

I blame FOX and their American Idol nonsense (results show ) for these other networks going after that 8-9 timeslot in full force. Does FOX really need to devote a half-hour to results from the previous night? Of course not, but they do it for ratings to lure the zombies in. I'm surprised ABC and CBS don't go with a results show for The Bachelor and Survivor respectively.

If going after the American Idol Results Show is the strategy here, I have to question CBS's wisdom of putting a half-hour KOQ on at 8? People will just flip to AI afterwards.
Old 05-13-03, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk God

The more I think about, I think UPN would be wise to get Enterprise out of that time slot. I think Monday at 8 would be a far better place for it. I think it is their highest rated show and considering all the competition, I don't think it can sustain itself with just the Trekkies watching.
Old 05-13-03, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Red Dog
The more I think about, I think UPN would be wise to get Enterprise out of that time slot. I think Monday at 8 would be a far better place for it. I think it is their highest rated show and considering all the competition, I don't think it can sustain itself with just the Trekkies watching.
You mean there's actually other people watching it?
Old 05-13-03, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Chew
You mean there's actually other people watching it?

Well okay - yeah. There is the Trekkie level (people who will watch any Trek). Then there is the Trek fan level (people who are selective about their Trek - like me ).

As I said before, if they don't move it and they don't do Saturday night re-runs, I have no choice but to jettison it and wait for summer re-runs.
Old 05-13-03, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Heh ... not even the Trekkies are watching. Hell, I have to do two hours of Tai Chi just to prepare myself mentally for the experience.

das
Old 05-13-03, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by das Monkey
Heh ... not even the Trekkies are watching. Hell, I have to do two hours of Tai Chi just to prepare myself mentally for the experience.

das
I hope you have 6 hours blocked off for tomorrow then......four hours of Tai Chi for 2 hours of Enterprise

Back to the topic: Given the poor presentation (IMO) of NCIS on JAG a few weeks ago, and the fact it's up against 24 and Frasier, guess I won't be watching the spin-off.
Old 05-13-03, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Chew

Back to the topic: Given the poor presentation (IMO) of NCIS on JAG a few weeks ago, and the fact it's up against 24 and Frasier, guess I won't be watching the spin-off.

Yeah no way I am watching NCIS. Unlike most, 9 pm Tuesday was pretty tame for me - only Smallville. Now that Supes is moving, I plan on checking out Fearless w/ Rachel Leigh Cook on the Frog.
Old 05-13-03, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't believe that they are moving King of Queens! I had no idea! This really really sucks. It looks like it might be going up against Ed, which is another one of my favorite shows.

I have said in a million times, KOQ and Scrubs are the two best comedies on TV right now.
Old 05-13-03, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What is Kellye's new show about??..He needs a comeback after the dismal Fox show last fall..It was so bad I cant ever remember the title? ..3 hot chicks how were lawyers in San Francisico??
It looks like there isn't much new this fall other than another wave of reality shows??

The decay of tv continues and I'm for it

PS Why does Kelley work so much he's married to Michelle Pfeiffer for god's sake..Stay home and bang your wife every night!..I would!..

Last edited by shanester; 05-13-03 at 05:16 PM.
Old 05-14-03, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What's this about Smallville no longer being on Sundays? Where did you guys read about this?
Old 05-14-03, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

sweet! maybe if Becker is axed, Alex Desert will help reform Hepcat and the world will be filled with good rocksteady again!! not that anybody knows what i'm talking about!
-di doctor-
Old 05-14-03, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk God

There may be hope for us KOQ fans who worry about a move to Wednesday. This USA Today today article suggests that Yes Dear may be the one that moves. Fine by me - can't stand that show. Plus it sounds like Hack or The Agency will be fighting each other to avoid elimination.

Official announcement of the schedule comes later today.

CBS' fall lineup is heavy on the drama
By Gary Levin, USA TODAY

CBS today will unveil a drama-heavy fall schedule that includes a JAG spinoff, a new series from producer David E. Kelley and a sitcom starring Charlie Sheen.

The network is adding just two comedies but five dramas to its lineup, and it will bump My Big Fat Greek Life and either Hack,The Agency or both from the fall schedule to make room.

CBS will win this season among total viewers. With an older audience than other networks, it's tied with ABC for third place among young adults, the audience advertisers pay most to reach. Yet CBS has the best track record at launching new series this year, earning solid ratings for CSI: Miami, Without a Trace and Still Standing, all set to return.

Among changes: another attempt to establish a new comedy block, probably on Wednesdays, where Yes, Dear may move as a lead-in for new comedy. Sheen's sitcom is likely to get the plum spot following CBS' top comedy, Everybody Loves Raymond. And it appears the Sunday movie will remain intact.

CBS' new series:

Two and a Half Men stars Sheen as a lothario who's tamed when his newly divorced brother (Jon Cryer) and young nephew move in.

The Stones stars comedian Robert Klein and Judith Light (Who's the Boss?) as a divorced couple who consult grown children for advice.

The Brotherhood of Poland, N.H., from producer Kelley (The Practice, Ally McBeal) revolves around three brothers (one is played by Randy Quaid) running a small town in New England.

Cold Case, from CSI producer Jerry Bruckheimer, focuses on a female homicide detective who cracks long-unsolved crimes.

Navy CIS, the JAG spinoff, stars Mark Harmon as a military counter-intelligence officer.

Joan of Arcadia, a drama about a modern-day Joan of Arc, inherits the spiritual mantle of canceled Touched by an Angel. Cast includes Joe Mantegna and Mary Steenburgen.

The Handler, starring Joe Pantoliano (The Sopranos), is about a team of undercover cops.
Old 05-14-03, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk God

Okay - here is the official word. Most interesting is that King of Queens is moving - but not to the 8 pm Wednesday - rather the 9 pm Wednesday slot. Also, of note, JAG is moving to 9 pm Friday while its spin-off (Navy CIS) takes its old slot - very strange. Looks like The Agency is dead.

http://tv.zap2it.com/news/tvnewsdaily.html?31573

CBS Shakes Up Schedule, Adds Seven New Shows
Wed, May 14, 2003 09:24 AM PDT

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - Although CBS will almost surely finish the season on top of the Nielsen ratings among total viewers, the network is making a number of changes for next season.

Only the powerful Thursday lineup of "Survivor," "CSI" and "Without a Trace" is returning intact in 2003-04. Every other night of the week has either a new show or a returning series in a new time period.

Most significantly, the network will try to launch a new comedy block on Wednesdays by moving "The King of Queens" to 9 p.m. ET that night and pairing it with "The Stones," a new series about two twentysomething siblings (Jay Baruchel, "Undeclared" and Lindsay Sloane, "Grosse Pointe") who are shocked when their parents (Robert Klein and Judith Light) announce they're getting a divorce.

The Wednesday comedy hour will have to survive in one of the tougher hours on network TV, with a lead-in of "60 Minutes II." Closing Wednesday night is a new family drama from David E. Kelley, who returns to CBS and "Picket Fences" territory with "The Brotherhood of Poland, N.H." about three brothers living in a small New England town.

"Yes, Dear" will move up a half-hour to lead off CBS' Monday slate. "Still Standing" moves from 9:30 to 8:30, while the new comedy "Two and a Half Men," starring Charlie Sheen, gets the 9:30 spot behind "Everybody Loves Raymond." "CSI: Miami" remains at 10 p.m.

As was the case this season, several of the network's new dramas are about crimes and the people who solve them. "Navy CIS," a "JAG" spinoff about officers who investigate crimes committed by Navy or Marine personnel, takes its parent show's old spot at 8 p.m. Tuesday. The Jerry Bruckheimer-produced "Cold Case," about a female detective (Kathryn Morris, "Minority Report" ) who investigates old crimes, will follow "60 Minutes" on Sundays.

"JAG" moves to 9 p.m. Friday, where it will serve as a bridge between two new series, "Joan of Arcadia" and "The Handler."

"Joan" is definitely different from most network fare. The title character (Amber Tamblyn) is the daughter of Arcadia's new police chief (Joe Mantegna, "First Monday") who keeps running into people who introduce themselves as God and give her instructions to do certain things with her life. Mary Steenburgen also stars.

Joe Pantoliano ("The Sopranos") stars in "The Handler" as an L.A.-based FBI agent who trains other agents for undercover work and oversees their operations.

"Hack" and "48 Hours Investigates," which aired on Fridays this season, move to Saturday.
Old 05-14-03, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk God

Thank goodness KOQ is at 9 instead of 8. I do have The Bachelor and West Wing already there, but I can always catch The Bachelor reruns on ABC Family if need be and who knows how good West Wing will be w/o Sorkin.

I should be able to follow JAG to Friday at 9. I'll probably check out the new Joe Pantoliano series which follows it as well (only have Boomtown as a conflict there).

I will also check out the new DEK series since they always start off strong. Plus it sounds like Picket Fences which was a great series (at least during its first few seasons). Only have Law & Order as a conflict there (although I'll have to find alternate broadcasts of South Park).

Last edited by Red Dog; 05-14-03 at 11:25 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.