Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol 05/13/2003

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who performed the best tonight?
Kimberly
13.46%
Ruben
25.00%
Clay
61.54%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

American Idol 05/13/2003

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-03, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Thanks for the tip, Groucho.

Will post it when I get home tonight.
Old 05-15-03, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clay is still the only one not to make the bottom 3.

Does anyone know if the winner last year (Kelly) ever made the bottom 3?

BTW, my vote is for Clay. My 11 year old daughter would disown me if I voted for anyone else.
Old 05-15-03, 06:23 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kelly never was in the bottom 2-3 and also since the first Top 10 show, she was the top vote getter.
Old 05-16-03, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
As promised, here is the poster from Tuesday night's show. Got a pretty good laugh from it:

Old 05-16-03, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by TheAllPurposeNothing
As promised, here is the poster from Tuesday night's show. Got a pretty good laugh from it:

Old 05-16-03, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Brilliant.

das
Old 05-16-03, 05:29 PM

Originally posted by MrHappyToes

Last night... I thought it was pretty funny when Clay jumped out of the helicopter and threw his hand straight up to wave, and almost got his arm chopped off. Did you see the man behind him jump when he did that?

YES!! I definitely noticed that. What a goob! I can just see the headlines "American Idol amputates own hand in helicopter blade!"

I have enjoyed watching Kim improve the past several weeks -- she definitely deserved to be in the top three IMO, but America got it right. Clay and Ruben are head and shoulders above the others. Even on their "worst" nights or performances, they were better. For instance, Clay didn't do a great job with Vincent, but he still sounded great! I wish I could forget lyrics that well.

I think Clay has a voice that is well suited for Broadway, but I don't see why he couldn't be a pop star as well -- think Josh Groban. I hope Clay will pick /write better songs than Josh, but I don't get repulsed hearing him on the radio. Michael Bolton ... well he repulses me.

And by the way, let me just say ....

Brooke Burke
Old 05-16-03, 11:50 PM
Banned

Here's the single Ruben and Clay will sing on tuesday :

http://www.towerrecords.com/promo.as...53458fee61031e

The winner's single will then be released on CD.
Old 05-17-03, 03:30 AM

Well I've got money on Ruben, not much but I think overall he's the better singer, but really, if I'm honest with myself I know America will pick the charming, clean cut Clay.
Old 05-18-03, 12:30 AM

Simon said in an interview on the NBC Tonight Show that he felt the public would vote Clay the winner, but his personal pick is for Ruben to win. We'll just have to see.

Last edited by BenCJedi; 05-18-03 at 01:33 AM.
Old 05-18-03, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I saw Simon on EXTRA the other night and he said that no matter who wins both will have contracts. Kind of defeats the purpose of having a winner, but it is good to know.
Old 05-18-03, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, the winner also gets $100 Large.
Old 05-18-03, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Idol" Lawsuit Threatens Show
Sat May 17, 6:45 PM ET Add Entertainment - E! Online to My Yahoo!

By Josh Grossberg

If a Texas man gets his way, Ruben Studdard won't be crowned the all-new Kelly Clarkson next week. And neither will Clay Aiken.

• News: Idol albums dominate charts
• News: American Idol eliminates Corey
• News: Another Idol embarrassment

E! Online Photo

Harry T. Keane Jr., I.D.-ed in reports as a Lone Star state entertainment producer, has filed a federal lawsuit against Fox and producers of American Idol, claiming the idea, and even the set design, for the mega-watched crooning contest was ripped off from him.

His suit seeks unspecified damages--the Houston Chronicle says Keane's attorney has suggested $300 million would do for a settlement--and a temporary restraining order that would bar the show from airing ASAP.

As the 20 million Idol worshippers who tune in each week are well aware, next week is the week.

Studdard, 25, and Aiken, 24, are the last two singers standing. They'll compete Tuesday night, en route to Wednesday's two-hour season finale in which one--barring a court order, natch--will join Clarkson in the annals of Idol winners, get awarded a recording contract and earn the gushy praise of judge Paula Abdul. (Well, all right, the loser will earn the gushy praise of Paula Abdul (news), too.)

It doesn't sound like Fox, at least, is sweating out the legal threat.

"The claim [Keane] is making is ridiculous, and the lawsuit is ridiculous," a network spokesman told the Chronicle.

The suit, alleging copyright and trademark infringement, was filed Wednesday, the Associated Press said.

For those without a calendar, Wednesday was nearly a year after Idol's June 2002 debut on Fox, and a couple of years after the 2001 debut of Idol's U.K. predecessor, Pop Idol.

Keane's attorney, Ryan Bormaster, told AP his client wasn't aware of the British version and then, after becoming aware of the Fox version, misplaced paperwork following a move, hence the delayed filing.

The Chronicle reports that Keane has letters and drawings dating back to 1994 and 1998 outlining his proposal for an interactive singing contest to be called either Ultimate Star Search, American Superstars or American Idol.

Among Keane's suggestions, reports say: Find contestants who are between 18 and 27; build a stage that features "a prominent half-sunburst" (in the words of the Chronicle); sit a panel of four celebrity judges; encourage viewers to vote via the telephone or the Internet; and, air the show two to three times a week.

As it is, American Idol searches for its future superstar from the 16- to 24-year-old contingent; requires its finalists to belt out tunes for three judges and, on at least one occasion, Neil Sedaka; and encourages viewers to vote via the telephone and wireless text-messaging. Fox airs the show twice a week--or, when it's feeling extra greedy for ratings--three times. (Suffice to say, next week, Fox is feeling extra greedy, which explains Monday's hourlong special.)

The Los Angeles sound stage used most of the season could be described as featuring "a prominent half-sunburst." Of course, the stage could also be described as featuring "an indescribable big blue thingy."

In the suit, Keane claims he mailed his American Idol brainstorm to production companies, including Freemantle Media North America, in 1997.

Freemantle Media is named in the suit, as is the man credited with creating Idol mania, Simon Fuller. Also tagged as defendants: Fox, Fuller's 19TV and Simon Cowell.

Cowell, the anti-Paula Abdul who has sat in judgment of wannabe entertainers in both the British and Fox editions, is dinged for helping develop the original Idol with Fuller for U.K.'s Thames Television, the AP said. Thames also received Keane's proposal, the lawsuit says.

American Idol's Tuesday edition is the season's fourth most-watched prime-time show, averaging 21.2 million viewers; its Wednesday elimination program, the sixth most-watched show, averaging 20.4 million, according to Nielsen Media Research.

Is one of its viewers its leading litigant?

A Website for a 41-year-old Harry Keane Jr. of Irving, Texas, who appears to resemble the 41-year-old Harry Keane Jr., of Irving, Texas, pictured in a Chronicle article about the lawsuit, lists American Idol as his favorite TV show.

An email message seeking comment from the Idol-admiring Keane was not immediately returned Saturday.

Prior to the lawsuit, Idol producers' biggest headaches came courtesy the contestants, including one, Corey Clark, who was bounced from the finals after it was revealed he faced assault and resisting arrest charges.
Old 05-18-03, 09:59 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I found the guy's homepage mentioned in the article:

http://www.keanemotorsports.com/driver.htm