Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

TV Sucks

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-03, 10:39 PM
Admin

Received 468 Likes on 307 Posts
Back in 1961, Chicago lawyer Newton Minow, the new chairman of the Federal Communications Commission, declared TV was "a vast wasteland."
Couldn't agree more.

There are a few oases in that desert, but in general it's pretty low brow entertainment.
Old 05-09-03, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why bother posting in a TV forum if you hate TV so much?
Old 05-09-03, 09:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by DeputyDave
Why bother posting in a TV forum if you hate TV so much?
Because I want to find out if I am missing something. Don't get me wrong. I like the concept of the TV, where you can just blisfully spend some moments switching off the brain, and just let the impressions of the various images and sounds come to you.

I just seem to find out that for my personal taste, those images and sounds become gradually more boring. Yesterday, it was too much, and I had to vent a little, for which tv talk is the ideal location, as people give various personal opinions, which is great.

LolaRennt.
Old 05-09-03, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

On the subject of TV being boring...

What are you watching? I love shows with action and suspence, like Alias and The Amazing Race, or shows that are laugh-out-loud funny like Friends or Scrubs. If I want to "let the impressions of various images and sounds" come to me, I'll just spend a few minutes staring at my computer screensaver.

Sure, most of what is on TV is boring tripe, but there are exceptions, and that is why we all love TV. There are some truly inventive and innovative programs out there if you can give them a chance. (And if you are not too highfalutin and hoity-toity...)

PS - ya know, wouldn't it be a better world if there were zebras walking around with a giant pastry for a head? What mad scientist's guild do we have to picket to make this dream a reality?

PPS - amazingly enough, yes, that is the way you spell "highfalutin" and "hoity-toity". Who came up with these words, Al Capp?
Old 05-09-03, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's why TiVo's are so useful.. eliminate the crap from TV and it is bound to find shows you should enjoy. In theory you will enjoy TV more when everytime you sit down in front of one, there is something that matches your interest to watch.
Old 05-09-03, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by ncmojo
If I want to "let the impressions of various images and sounds" come to me...
...that's what drugs are for.

Could also explain why some folks are seeing zebras with giant pastry instead of heads.
Old 05-09-03, 02:28 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Groucho
According to the promos, FoxNews is "fair and balanced" in their reporting. Sounds like they might be the objective source of news you are looking for.

They report, you decide.
Old 05-09-03, 02:59 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If too much TV is bad for you then:
Is too much DVD good for you?
Is too much Magazine good for you?
Is too much video game good for you?
Is too much book good for you?
Even is too much money good for you?
And we can go on and on and on...........

Bottom line: Everything in moderation.

As matter of fact, this is one of the great challenges face man kind. The ability to grasp moderation.
Old 05-09-03, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Whenever I grasp my moderation, my wife says I should save it for her.
Old 05-09-03, 04:35 PM
Banned

I've completely writen off watching TV. I only watch South Park, the Simpsons, and syndicated Simpsons. About 10 times a year I watch Jeopardy, and sometimes I watch VH-1. And that's it. If cable weren't free at my current appartment I wouldn't have cable. It's not worth the money to me. At my last apartment I didn't have cable. Why spend the money? Considering the quality I value cable TV at being worth $5 a month. When the price drops that far call me.
Old 05-09-03, 05:35 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Pants - how do you know you wouldn't like any shows on TV if you don't watch TV? And how do you know when South Park and the Simpson's are on? And for that matter, how did you know you'd like those two shows, but not other shows, without watching them?
Old 05-09-03, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

SHH!! Don't shatter their ignorance.

das
Old 05-09-03, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts
You don't watch TV?
[Chris Griffin] WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT?????? [/Chris Griffin]
Old 05-12-03, 11:14 AM
Banned

Originally posted by PeMo
Pants - how do you know you wouldn't like any shows on TV if you don't watch TV? And how do you know when South Park and the Simpson's are on? And for that matter, how did you know you'd like those two shows, but not other shows, without watching them?
Oh, I thought of another show I watch! I watch the Howard Stern Show on E!

Anyway, in answer to your questions:

My girlfriend watches a lot of TV. From time to time she's made me watch The Bachelor, Survivor, Fear Factor, Dawson's Creek, Charmed, Roswell, and Gillmore Girls and I thought they were all crap.

I've given some sitcoms like Everybody Loves Raymond and Becker a try and thought they sucked.

I know when South Park and The Simpsons are on because of a little invention called a TV Guide.

Overall, yes I give new shows some occassional attention, but mostly their crap and my time would be better spent watching movies.
Old 05-12-03, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can’t think of a reason for someone who doesn’t watch TV to subscribe to TVGuide. But maybe that’s just me.

I don’t think it’s fair to judge TV based on what your gf makes you watch (perhaps during a heavy B&D session?). I might question her motives.

Sure, most of TV is crap. But there are a lot of good shows out there. I think that many (not necessarily all) of the shows that have regular threads here are deserving of a look-see. And the time spent looking at all of them certainly wouldn’t make you a candidate for a 12-step program.

“Hi. I’m das and I’m a TV Addict.”

Old 05-12-03, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Pants •<HR SIZE=1>My girlfriend watches a lot of TV. From time to time she's made me watch The Bachelor, Survivor, Fear Factor, Dawson's Creek, Charmed, Roswell, and Gillmore Girls and I thought they were all crap.<HR SIZE=1>

Crap, hit or miss, crap, crap on a stick, crap with boobs, crap on crap, good show - try again.

• Quoth Pants •<HR SIZE=1>I've given some sitcoms like Everybody Loves Raymond and Becker a try and thought they sucked.<HR SIZE=1>

Best days are far behind, and crap with a hairpiece.

• Quoth Pants •<HR SIZE=1>Overall, yes I give new shows some occassional attention, but mostly their crap and my time would be better spent watching movies.<HR SIZE=1>

I'm quite possibly the biggest fan of television on this forum (and will enter a fight to the death to prove it), and even I'll say these shows are crap. To put it into perspective, form an opinion on the film industry by ONLY watching films that star Sandra Bullock and/or LL Cool J. Or from a literature perspective, judge American literature by Jackie Collins and Entertainment Weekly magazine.

In short (and meaning no offense), your girlfriend's taste in television sucks. Of course, these shows are marketed specifically to girlfriends worldwide, so you're not alone. If you really want to know what's out there, you should check out shows like The Shield, Six Feet Under, The West Wing, The Wire, Boomtown, Alias, The Sopranos, and other shows that aren't marketed to the lowest common denominator (that's not an isult ... I watch some of those shows myself ... they just represent the lowest of the TV spectrum).

Until you've checked out the best of what it has to offer (or at least some of the stuff in the middle), you're only seeing things through a Steven Segal/Rosie Magazine filter. If I only watched the crap you've been subjected to, I'd probably give up too.

das
Old 05-12-03, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Wizdar
And the time spent looking at all of them certainly wouldn’t make you a candidate for a 12-step program.

“Hi. I’m das and I’m a TV Addict.”

Step 1: Turn on TV
Step 2: Turn on 2nd TV
Step 3: Turn on TiVo
Step 4: Turn on alternate receiver
Step 5: Turn on HD receiver
Step 6: Turn on audio receiver
Step 7: Turn off all phones in the house
Step 8: Make nachos
Step 9: Sit
Step 10: Align HD antenna via remote
Step 11: Recline
Step 12: Argue on DVD Talk

Lather, rinse, repeat

das
Old 05-12-03, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

But I would argue (and bet 10 bucks that I’m right) that steps 1 thru 6 are unnecessary. There’s no need to turn on something that never gets turned off, yes?
Old 05-12-03, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Wizdar

But I would argue (and bet 10 bucks that I’m right) that steps 1 thru 6 are unnecessary. There’s no need to turn on something that never gets turned off, yes?
OK, you got me there. Hopefully my sponsor won't mind that I've been skipping steps.

das
Old 05-12-03, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,781 Likes on 1,913 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
According to the promos, FoxNews is "fair and balanced" in their reporting. Sounds like they might be the objective source of news you are looking for.

They report, you decide.
I don't get Fox News on my cable system, but I finally watched a bit of it at one of my relative's houses.

Very surreal experience. All of their anchors looked like they were giving beejays in their sorority houses two years ago. They all come across as vapid Ann Coulter wannabes -- you know, those barely attracitve young women the Republicans would trot out on shows like Politically Incorrect for the token conservative.

One of the times I watched it, it came off more the "Let's convict Scott Peterson" channel than the Republican News Network its purported to be.
Old 05-12-03, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love BBC America. If it wasn't for 'What Not To Wear', 'Ground Force' and 'Trading Spaces' I wouldn't see much TV. I'm thinking of giving up my DirecTV and switching to high speed internet which can be viewed on my 42inch Plasma TV (Gateway) and just stick with my DVDs and computer. They way things are going must shows of any merit will be on DVD sooner or later.
Old 05-12-03, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have friends that have TV and I have actually watched it in the past. I do miss the Discovery channel, TLC, and the History channel. I don't have enough time to make watching TV worthwhile in my life.

Regarding the TV guide...I get one free in my Sunday newspaper. I usually discard it.

Originally posted by das Monkey
If you really want to know what's out there, you should check out shows like The Shield, Six Feet Under, The West Wing, The Wire, Boomtown, Alias, The Sopranos, and other shows that aren't marketed to the lowest common denominator[/B]
The cool thing is I don't feel like I'm missing out since the good shows seem to be out or coming out on DVD. I'd rather spend my money there than on cable.

I read somewhere that TIVO is destroying the viability of commercials so they were going to start inserting commercials into shows like they did in the old days (or The Truman Show).
Old 05-12-03, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Step 1: Turn on TV
Step 2: Turn on 2nd TV
Step 3: Turn on TiVo
Step 4: Turn on alternate receiver
Step 5: Turn on HD receiver
Step 6: Turn on audio receiver
Step 7: Turn off all phones in the house
Step 8: Make nachos
Step 9: Sit
Step 10: Align HD antenna via remote
Step 11: Recline
Step 12: Argue on DVD Talk

Lather, rinse, repeat

das
(... I say happily, because I just ate like 5 pounds of nachos , and that makes me happy)

das
I think somebody has more than just a TV addiction..........
Old 05-12-03, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by karnblack
I read somewhere that TIVO is destroying the viability of commercials so they were going to start inserting commercials into shows like they did in the old days (or The Truman Show).
IMO, that’s what we call a knee-jerk reaction.

I mean, just how many folks out there have TIVO? Hmmm?

This would be like saying, since das never uses it, we should remove the ON/OFF button from TVs and such. (No, I’m not picking on him, and I hope he knows it. There’s a reason das has that title. )

TV suits will invent any excuse to squeeze as much ad revenue outta an hour as they can. Bugs, horrible show-eating bugs, banners, popups, you name it. We’re already up to, what, 22 minutes of commercials per hour, not counting promos using the above and the end-credits sharing. The time is not far away when TV will be unwatchable and we’ll all be thankful for our DVD collection.

And why do I suddenly have an urge for a large order of nachos?
Old 05-12-03, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I feel the pain that most tv sucks. I only watch 2 shows regularly Alias and 24 and most of the times the simpsons and friends

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.