Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Article on NBC's possible fall 2003 schedule

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-03, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Article on NBC's possible fall 2003 schedule

Most notable: a possible shift of West Wing to Sundays at 10 pm.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2003May7.html

NBC's Comic Opera

By Lisa de Moraes
Thursday, May 8, 2003; Page C07

It's Upfront Time again, that annual orgy of denial in which the broadcast networks rent lavish halls in Manhattan where they unveil their this-time-we-got-it-right prime-time lineups for hordes of advertisers, and everyone pretends that the networks didn't give exactly the same speech last year.

After each presentation, network suits, advertisers and show stars retire to a sumptuous party at some hot spot and try hard not to notice the large elephant in the corner with "New Series Not Scoring Big by October Get Yanked for Reality Show by November Sweeps" tattooed on its hide.

The brave men of NBC go first again this year; their presentation is scheduled for Monday afternoon at the Metropolitan Opera House. They will have to work hard to put a positive spin on their 2003-04 TV season, which will be the absolute positive last season for "Friends" -- without the network having yet developed the next "Friends." Also in the bad-news column: NBC and Warner Bros. TV have driven Aaron Sorkin, the creative genius behind "The West Wing," off the show, which has experienced steep ratings declines; so have "Frasier" and "ER."

There is much speculation in Hollywood this week that NBC may move "The West Wing" from Wednesdays at 9 p.m. and replace it with a new lawyer drama starring "West Wing" escapee Rob Lowe, which really would be thumbing the old peacock beak at Sorkin. (Lowe's show is now called, preciously, "Lyon's Den"; hopefully that will not be the case next week.) There is talk that NBC may move "West Wing" to Sunday night, following "Law & Order: Criminal Intent." That would certainly give the White House drama a bigger lead-in audience than did "Ed" on Wednesdays for much of this season. On the other hand, moving an older show to help its faltering ratings almost never works.

Wednesdays at 8 p.m. NBC is said to be considering a new dramedy from "Sex and the City" creator Darren Star. "Miss Match" is about an attorney/matchmaker, to be played by Alicia Silverstone.

NBC also plans to tell advertisers that it has finally found the next "Friends." It's called "Coupling" and it's about the sexual exploits of -- three hip young guys and the three hip young gals they hang out/shack up with. But it's set in Chicago so viewers won't confuse it with "Friends."

"Coupling" is actually the U.S. adaptation of the BBC comedy of the same name that, oddly, was the U.K.'s answer to "Friends." A little like a dog chasing its tail, isn't it?

This week NBC Entertainment President Jeff Zucker started planting little "Coupling" buzz seedlings; he told reporters that the show was way too sexy for 8 p.m. That, the New York Daily News pointed out, was ironic, since NBC is the network that declared the so-called family hour dead when it put "Friends" at 8 p.m., way back when Zucker was executive producer of the "Today" show and probably going to bed before "Friends" was on.

(He'll look pretty silly if HBO's syndication division succeeds in selling reruns of super-sexy "Sex and the City" to TV stations nationwide to air before prime time even starts, at 7:30 p.m. According to one source with knowledge of that situation, HBO has been quietly talking to large station-owning companies about such a deal.)

Even so, most industry watchers speculate that "Coupling" will get NBC's Thursday 9:30 p.m. slot and could be its only new series that night.

Flailing "Frasier" will probably be surrounded by three comedies again this fall -- only this time they'll be three really good comedies -- possibly the best new comedies NBC has ever developed, maybe even the best ever developed for any network ever.

One would star Whoopi Goldberg and another Tracy Morgan. The third Tuesday comedy contender as of late yesterday was "Happy Family," starring John Larroquette and Christine Baranski.

For Friday night, NBC is kicking around a lineup of drama series contenders including "Ed," "Boomtown" and a Vegas-set drama.

Saturdays, NBC most likely will continue to have no schedule, filling the night by burning off feature-film inventory and rerunning "Law & Order" episodes.

Sundays will continue to be dominated by one-hour programming, including "Dateline," "American Dreams," "Law & Order" and possibly "The West Wing."

Good to see that it sounds like Boomtown and American Dreams are going to make the cut. These are 2 of my favorites and were on the bubble. I can live with Boomtown moving to Friday (at 9 I assume) if need be.
Old 05-08-03, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
to Boomtown
Old 05-08-03, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The best news for shows like Boomtown, Ed, and American Dreams appears to be that NBC just doesn't have anything else to replace them with. They dropped the ball with Mister Sterling, though. Considering their line of programming, they could have done some interesting things between it and The West Wing and any one of the 7 Law and Orders. Speaking of which, what happened to Law & Order: Beach Patrol?

das
Old 05-08-03, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,192 Likes on 4,219 Posts
They would have been making a huge mistake by canning Boomtown, arguable their best reviewed drama of the past season. Maybe by releasing the DVD series or after some Emmy nods, it'll catch on (like 24 did, though American Idol certainly helped there).

Ed, on the other hand should be put to rest. If it hasn't found an audience by now, it won't. That show is based solely on the likability of it's two main charcters. I don't think there's a lot of room for growth here.
It's a shame that a quality show like that might get the boot before the sewage that is Fear Factor, but that's network TV today :rooleyes:
Old 05-08-03, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Boomtown. I just hope they get back to the different point of view aspect that they have been drifting away from.
Old 05-08-03, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish they'd make Law & Order: Crime & Punishment a regular. I cann't wait for the Summer, when, supposedly, this will be on again. Even though I know the State always wins, it is still a great look into our system, IMHO.
Old 05-08-03, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Even though it doesn't say it, I am guessing Scrubs will stay on Thursdays and maybe shift it to 9:30pm and put Coupling in after Friends. Then again, who knows.
Old 05-08-03, 12:15 PM

Re: Article on NBC's possible fall 2003 schedule

Originally posted by Red Dog
NBC also plans to tell advertisers that it has finally found the next "Friends." It's called "Coupling" and it's about the sexual exploits of -- three hip young guys and the three hip young gals they hang out/shack up with. But it's set in Chicago so viewers won't confuse it with "Friends."

"Coupling" is actually the U.S. adaptation of the BBC comedy of the same name that, oddly, was the U.K.'s answer to "Friends." A little like a dog chasing its tail, isn't it?

That's funny! What about Scrubs? Still on at 8:30 pm?

Chris
Old 05-08-03, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Flailing "Frasier" will probably be surrounded by three comedies again this fall -- only this time they'll be three really good comedies -- possibly the best new comedies NBC has ever developed, maybe even the best ever developed for any network ever.

One would star Whoopi Goldberg and another Tracy Morgan. The third Tuesday comedy contender as of late yesterday was "Happy Family," starring John Larroquette and Christine Baranski.

The best ever developed for any network ever??? Did these people completely forget about Enos? Or Three's a Crowd? And what, oh what, about Veronica's Closet?
Old 05-08-03, 12:34 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Hasn't Coupling already had something like half the people who were supposed to star in it back out already. Sounds like a winner.

The Friday night lineup looks good.
Old 05-08-03, 12:37 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Please bring back Hidden Hills! That is/was my favorite comedy on NBC.
Old 05-08-03, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by ncmojo

The best ever developed for any network ever??? Did these people completely forget about Enos? Or Three's a Crowd? And what, oh what, about Veronica's Closet?
Um, I think the writer of the article was being sarcastic. Kind of like many of das Monkey's refreshing posts.
Old 05-08-03, 01:11 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I watched Boomtown all season long, but I've had enough. I won't be returning next season.
Old 05-08-03, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd love to watch an American version of Coupling, but I fear they'll network the hell out of the original show and it'll be crap. Just watch the R2 dvds instead.
Old 05-08-03, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

At least half of the Coupling stars have quit/were let go (including my fave, Melissa George), however, they now have Rena Sofer! Whoo!!! Bring Ed back again and maybe we will see her show up as Bonnie Haines again!
Old 05-08-03, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk God

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/cgi/go...wswire&id=5927
Old 05-08-03, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Here is a little bit of info on the fall ABC and WB schedules.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/cgi/go...wswire&id=5928

Looks like fans of the Practice and Dragnet might be able to breathe easier.
Old 05-08-03, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
to Boomtown and Ed.
Old 05-08-03, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/cgi/go...wswire&id=5927
And in a real surprise, the Peacock's once thought dead midseason comedy "A.U.S.A." could also return for a second season.

The return of the latter is contingent on if producers of the Scott Foley-led comedy can convince Heather Locklear to sign on to the series. With the demise of the actress' own pilot, "Once Around the Park," NBC approached Locklear about the possibility of joining "A.U.S.A." According to various sources, should the producers of the show secure Locklear's services, the comedy would get a second season renewal. It is unclear however if it would return in the fall or midseason however.

I hope they do bring it back. I thought this was a pretty funny show.
American Dreams
Old 05-08-03, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It doesn't seem like Ed has a place on Friday night anymore, if I read it correctly (granted I did fly through it). I hope it is back, but reading that article doesn't really increase my hope...
Old 05-08-03, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OK, just read it again, and I guess that it just wasn't mentioned at all (and there was nothing suggested for its timeslot). Breathing a bit easier now...
Old 05-08-03, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
New sitcoms for
Tracy Morgan
Whoopi Goldberg
John Laroquette
Christine Baranski

I won't miss 'em!

Spoiler:
I won't watch 'em, but I certainly won't miss 'em.

Honk!
Old 05-08-03, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 811 Likes on 600 Posts
NBC needs to bring back Ed and American Dreams to keep me watching. If they don't the only day I will be watching their network is on Thursdays.
Old 05-08-03, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Come on Ed!!!!!!!
Old 05-08-03, 05:58 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
from tvguide.com
Actress-singer Vanessa Williams has signed on for 10 episodes of Boomtown next season, a strong sign that the NBC drama will be renewed for a second season. The network unveils its fall schedule next week.
Odds look very good it's coming back

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.