Reload this Page >

The Practice -- Should it be saved?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 05-03-03, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,161 Likes on 4,193 Posts

Yes I know that the shark tank for this show is a mere speck in the rearview mirror, but still David Kelly can produce fine work when he tries. On the eve of what could very possibly be the shows swan song (Mon 5/5 9PM-11PM), there is an interesting article at MSNBC that makes some good arguements for keeping the show around. You can read it here. Note : Article contains episode spoilers!

I think the point that this was a top 25 show before the unfair, untimely move dropped the show into ratings mediocrity has some merit. Of course some of the story lines for the past two or three seasons have been exasperating. I still think I'd miss the show if it were gone, but I've been missing it some times anyway since the move.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-03-03, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toss this show out and bring back... That 80's Show...
Old 05-04-03, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I don't think so..

It's at the Enterprise point*. For awhile there all they did on the show is SHOUT. At each other. At their clients. At the judges.

Enough is enough. Either Kelly's spread himself too thin, burned out, or banging Michelle too hard, too much.

One other thing that bothers me to no end..the MUSIC. Whenever there's a big reveal or an attempt at a DRAMATIC moment, the music comes in lightly as the character begins the moment...then builds as s/he explains furthur...then stops once the reveal/drama happens..

It's the same. EVERY. SINGLE. EPISODE. Hell, at least Law & Order: SVU & NYPD Blue has a different score every week..

But, that's just me..

*[Where I know I should stop watching, but I can't..that is, if I remember it's on. Also, I should say that i'd rather have this show on than some other "reality" show..just don't get me started on Kelly's "reality show commentary" episode..ugh.]
Old 05-04-03, 12:05 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 254 Likes on 192 Posts
I don't care either way but I thought it has been better over the past few weeks. I think that has something to do with the lack of Bobby on the show.
Old 05-04-03, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No more Practice.

Death to Bobby! Death to Elanor! Death to Eugene!

OK, they can all live, but LINDSEY MUST DIE.

And the new chick is hot, but woefully overdressed. According to a recent episode, she's something of a slut; why can't we see any of this action? Why isn't she throwing herself on every warm male body at the office?

(shudder -- mental picture -- Michael Badalucco naked -- shudder--)
Old 05-20-03, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Huge cast cuts announced. And the people they are keeping are the ones I like least well. The new cast members will have to be terrific to keep me watching. (the whole thing has been going downhill so long it may be unsavable)
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...on_practice_dc
Verdict's in on 'Practice': Six Won't Return
Tue May 20, 2:42 AM ET Add Entertainment - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Nellie Andreeva

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - The Boston law firm of Donnell, Young, Dole & Flutt is undergoing a dramatic downsizing.

Dylan McDermott (news), Lara Flynn Boyle (news) and four other cast members of "The Practice" are exiting David E. Kelley's ABC legal drama next season after their options were not picked up by David E. Kelley Prods. and 20th Century Fox TV.

The slimming of "Practice's" actor payroll comes as the Emmy-winning series faces at least a 50% reduction in the license fee paid by ABC.

The show endured a rocky seventh season -- ratings took a dive after a midseason time-slot shift to Monday -- and secured an eleventh-hour pickup for 2003-04 on condition that the estimated $6.5 million license fee be halved -- though ABC committed to returning the show to its longtime 10 p.m. Sunday home.

McDermott will guest-star in at least four episodes next season, and it is unclear if the other exiting cast members will make any appearances. In addition to McDermott and Boyle, the departures include original cast members Kelli Williams and Lisa Gay Hamilton. Marla Sokoloff (news), who joined "Practice" during its second season, and Chyler Leigh (news), who signed on this season, also are gone.

"Due to economic and creative realities, many key people will not be returning, including Dylan," Kelley said Monday. "It hurts, professionally and personally. This is perhaps the finest group of actors and people one could ever hope to work with; I hope for all of them to recur if possible, and if I'm lucky, I'll get to work with them on future projects as well. I'm indebted to each and every one of them."

While budget cuts were expected given such a substantial license-fee cut for an old show, the exodus came as a surprise because five of the six actors whose options have not been picked up -- McDermott, Williams, Hamilton, Sokoloff and Leigh -- were flown to New York last week to appear at ABC's fall schedule-unveiling presentation and party.

"For the past seven seasons, we've successfully relied on David E. Kelley's creative vision for 'The Practice,' and we'll continue to rely on his vision for the future of this series," the network said. "While we're sorry to see these talented cast members leave the show, we're excited to discover what David has in store for 'The Practice' this fall."

Sources said the cast reduction was Kelley's idea and is part of his plan to rejuvenate the veteran show, which won the outstanding drama series Emmy in 1999. It is understood that Kelley's camp has taken note of how other long-running dramas, including NBC's "Law & Order" and "ER," have used cast changes as a creative spark to keep a show fresh and even bring in new viewers.

Several new regulars are expected to join remaining "Practice" cast members Camryn Manheim (news) and Michael Badalucco (news) -- both Emmy winners for their roles -- Steve Harris (news) and Jessica Capshaw (news).
Old 05-20-03, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's funny, they kept all the "cheap" actors who no one else wants to hire. Smooth move.

I wish they would have just canceled the show instead.

I'll probably tune in just to witness the train wreck but I doubt I'll feel any loyalty to stick around the shark tank much longer.
Old 05-20-03, 10:07 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 254 Likes on 192 Posts
It is understood that Kelley's camp has taken note of how other long-running dramas, including NBC's "Law & Order" and "ER," have used cast changes as a creative spark to keep a show fresh and even bring in new viewers.

They didn't cut 60% of the cast at once though.

This had to be in the works long before because they set this up on the finale perfectly for them to do this. Lindsay can just turn down their offer to join and Bobby was leaving anyway. Cyler's charcter is connected to Lindsay so she had to go. Hasn't Sokoloff been rumored to leave for the past 2 years for her own show.

I like the cast members who are staying more anyway so this isn't a big deal to me.
Old 05-20-03, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts
Originally posted by MrX

They didn't cut 60% of the cast at once though.

Yeah - the most L&O ever cut at once was 1/3 btwn seasons. That was between seasons 3 & 4 when they replaced Dann Florek (Capt. Cragen) and Richard Brooks (ADA Robinette) with S. Epatha Merkerson (Lt. Van Buren) and Jill Hennessey (ADA Kincaid). Plus they have only changed the lead cop twice and the EADA once.

Last edited by Red Dog; 05-20-03 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-20-03, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I was coming into this thread to post: Heck yeah, it's still a good show compared to what else is out there. But with Bobby, Lindsey, Helen, Rebecca and Lucy all leaving the show, now seems as good a time as ever to give it up. It would have been better to cancel it.

I don't think I'm that interested in a show about Eugene, Jimmy, Eleanor and a bunch of new people. That's more like a spin off. Major cast changes on DEK's shows have never been a good thing, only an acceleration into the toilet.

Last edited by adamblast; 05-20-03 at 10:56 AM.
Old 05-20-03, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Maybe they could bring back Ally McBeal into The Practice...

Or is it time to also bring in the other 2 from Girls Club (Gretchen Mol and Kathleen Robertson)?

Last edited by Patman; 05-20-03 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-20-03, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Helen seemed to have a smaller role already. Lindsey and Bobby are just annoying. I liked rebecca and Lucy though and Claire was good eye candy. Eugene is still good, but the stories have gotten progressively worse in the past season so we'll see if they can get better writers
Old 05-20-03, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,924 Likes on 1,489 Posts
Hmm... let's see. Take a slowly diminishing show from it's successful Sunday night slot and put it on Mondays. Preempt it a few times. Cut the budget, and the two most recognizable actors, as well as a host of others, off the show. How in the world do they feel that this is going to work? The old fans are going to be upset that the cast changed so dramatically, and they're the one's who followed the show to Monday nights! The show already has no momentum...

I applaud Kelly's efforts to rejuvenate a show that was clearly brought down by the network. He did what he felt he had to do. I guess ABC got what it wanted in a cheaper show.

Just waiting until they replace Victor Garber and Jennifer Garner on Alias, after taking away the special effects budget...
Old 05-20-03, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
So WHO exactly is gone? Bobby, Lindsey, Helen, Rebecca, Lucy...? Or should I just ask WHO is staying?
Old 05-20-03, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Jadzia •<HR SIZE=1>I'll probably tune in just to witness the train wreck but I doubt I'll feel any loyalty to stick around the shark tank much longer. <HR SIZE=1>

What's funny is I had completely and finally severed myself from this ailing crapsicle with no intent to ever watch it again ... an now I'll tune in just to see wtf they end up doing.

das
Old 05-20-03, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by uteotw
So WHO exactly is gone? Bobby, Lindsey, Helen, Rebecca, Lucy...? Or should I just ask WHO is staying?
Announced departures:

Dylan McDermott (Bobby Donnell)
Kelli Williams (Lindsay Dole Donnell)
Lara Flynn Boyle (Helen Gamble)
Lisa Gay Hamilton (Rebecca Washington)
Marla Sokoloff (Lucy Hatcher)
Chyler Leigh (Claire Wyatt; Lindsay's new assistant)

Probably still around:

Steve Harris (Eugene Young)
Michael Badalucco (Jimmy Berluti)
Camryn Manheim (Eleanor Frutt)
Jessica Capshaw (Jamie Stringer)
Old 05-20-03, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts
It is understood that Kelley's camp has taken note of how other long-running dramas, including NBC's "Law & Order" and "ER," have used cast changes as a creative spark to keep a show fresh and even bring in new viewers.
Yeah, because this worked really well when Kelley pulled the same manuever on Chicago Hope....
Old 05-20-03, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Now that Lara Flynn Boyle is no longer a DA in Boston, maybe she can drive down I-95 and work with Jack McCoy in the Manhatten DA's office and boot Elisabeth Rohm out of the L&O universe.
Old 05-20-03, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
As long as she stops at a couple rest stops to get some sandwiches on the way...
Old 05-20-03, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Red Dog
Now that Lara Flynn Boyle is no longer a DA in Boston, maybe she can drive down I-95 and work with Jack McCoy in the Manhatten DA's office and boot Elisabeth Rohm out of the L&O universe.
I'm definitely no Elisabeth Rohm fan (although, in fairness, the writers haven't given her much to work with), but...

Do you really consider that switch an improvement?!?
Old 05-20-03, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by bboisvert
I'm definitely no Elisabeth Rohm fan (although, in fairness, the writers haven't given her much to work with), but...

Do you really consider that switch an improvement?!?

I would consider a statue to be an improvement over Elisabeth Rohm. The only actress I consider worse than Elisabeth Rohm is Sofia Coppola.
Old 05-20-03, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Josh Z
Yeah, because this worked really well when Kelley pulled the same manuever on Chicago Hope....
Yeah and the opposite worked so well on Ally McBeal in its final season when they added -

Corretta Lipp (Regina Hall)
Jenny Shaw (Julianne Nicholson)
Glenn Foy (James Marsden)
Steven Milter (John Michael Higgins)
Wilson Jade (Bobby Cannavale)
Maddie Harrington (Hayden Panettiere)
Liza Bump (Christina Ricci)
Victor Morrisson (Jon Bon Jovi)
and
Claire Otoms (Dame Edna Everage)

YIKES!!!!

Just start a new series with a slightly altered premise already! I mean its just going to be able another law firm with an odd D.E.K. quirky twist.

End The Practice!
Old 05-20-03, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Rogue588
As long as she stops at a couple rest stops to get some sandwiches on the way...
I was gonna say... Maybe she should take a year off, and practice eating solid food again.
Old 05-20-03, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Red Dog
I would consider a statue to be an improvement over Elisabeth Rohm. The only actress I consider worse than Elisabeth Rohm is Sofia Coppola.
It's funny -- she always seemed like a reasonably good character in the early Angel seasons, so I've always been surprised at her terrible reputation on L&O... Was Angel just a lucky fit? Did she get worse? Was she bad back then, and I never noticed?

I'd be interested in the opinions of anyone familiar with her work in both shows... She sure is hated these days...
Old 05-20-03, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by adamblast
It's funny -- she always seemed like a reasonably good character in the early Angel seasons, so I've always been surprised at her terrible reputation on L&O... Was Angel just a lucky fit? Did she get worse? Was she bad back then, and I never noticed?

I'd be interested in the opinions of anyone familiar with her work in both shows... She sure is hated these days...

I actually watched Angel in Season 1 so I vaguely remember her work. I didn't really think it was good nor bad. Of course, I never took Angel too seriously so maybe that was part of it.

I remember when I heard she got the role on L&O. I was not upset by it so that tells me that I did not think she was bad on Angel. After all, Dick Wolf pulled Angie Harmon from Baywatch Nights and she worked out great. My feeling was that if Angie worked out, anybody could work out. Boy was I wrong.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.