Reload this Page >

Buffy season 7 thoughts

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Buffy season 7 thoughts

Old 05-02-03, 02:43 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buffy season 7 thoughts

I didn't come up with this one, I found it at another message board...

"Buffy Season 7: I finally get it.
I finally understand what this season is about.

It was during the "previously on Buffy" this week when it hit me: this is the reiteration season, and the reason everything seems so lame and disjointed for many is because we've seen it all before during the previous six years.

That lame episode in the basement where Dawn got friends: the first season where Buffy gets her Scoobies.
Spike being controlled and eating people: Spike reprising his role as the Big Bad (and having to play Drusilla as well, since she ain't around)
The Ubervamp: The mayor (and the few SITs there are akin to Buffy rallying her graduating class)
The SITs: Riley and the army boys (don't forget going back down there for Spike's chip removal)
Caleb: Glory
Xander's eye: Buffy's sacrifice
Buffy being kicked out of the house: Buffy being yanked out of heaven.

I'm sure there are plenty more parallels for the picking, but I'm not trying to write an MA thesis this morning.

Damn. It all fits, and I feel like a tool for not seeing it earlier. I got thrown by the First Evil saying "We're going all the way back to the beginning," in that first episode of this season. I thought that meant hitting rewind-- but what ME really did was hit restart!

I predict that we're soon gonna see Buffy finally re-realizing that she can't be in charge all the time, and rescuing the world isn't a job for her and her alone, just like she realized at the end of season 6 when she asked Dawn to help her.

And, because Angel and Buffy are supposedly theoretically linked this season, defeating TFE is going to come about some sort of unifying power of love and trust.

What do you guys think?"
Old 05-02-03, 03:00 PM

Yeah, that's all true except you could compare any two seasons and come up with that. Joss has stayed very consistent with the themes he wants to get across, redemption, sacrifice, self-discovery, et al. Every season has shared many of the above under the guise of different characters. There's always a Big Bad, always the underling, always the comic foil, always the trial, always the lesson. I don't think that's the reason some people think this season has been lackluster. Hell, it's a formula used in most shows.
Old 05-02-03, 03:25 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

It makes some sense, although some of the connections are shaky... I have noticed that Caleb used the word 'glory' in at least two occasions, which caught my ear for some reason.

As for the Spike thing, I would say that the ep where Spike's chip stops working and he's killing again is more of a parallel to when Angel lost his soul in season 2.