Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

All Right, Admit It -- Star Trek TOS Sucked

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-04, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought I would chime in. Yeah, the original didnt have good production values and some of the scripts wee silly but I grew up with it and always think of it as one of my favorites.

Erin Gray's still hot and will be at Dragon*Con again this year. Note to self: lure Erin Gray to hotel room under pretense of ... er ... um ... nevermind.
She still looks good but have you seen Gil Gerard? I think he weighs about 300 lbs.

Agreed, though I haven't watched much Enterprise. Still, I'd rather have a crew of escaped prisoners on a ship, a living ship . . .
Ohhhhh, me too. That would be much more fun!
Old 11-24-04, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 237 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally posted by al_bundy
i still can't believe that TOS was written by Roddenberry, who could be described as a hippie.
"Most of TOS" is not true. What made the best of TOS so good was that most of the episodes were written by experienced SF writers. Not Roddenberry. Granted, he had a habitual need to rewrite writers who were much better than him so he could get his name on the script. And when he was the sole writer, more often than not it wasn't very good. "The Omega Glory," "A Private Little War," and "The Savage Curtain," for instance.

"Spock! Spock! Help me Spock!"

"Ebe Plebnista!"
Old 11-24-04, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Star Trek wins hands down because it's the only Trek series that really sold the idea that these guys were on the frontiers of space going where no man had gone before. It also did a great job in showing that reaching out into the far edges of space was a dangerous job.

TNG just felt like the Enterprise-D was just traveling around space that had already been established by the Federation.
DS9 was an excellent show, but it wasn't about exploring the unknown.
Voyager tried to do get back to the roots of TOS, but it failed miserably. I was looking forward to seeing the struggle to scrounge up supplies and making it on their own, but that didn't happen.
Enterprise is just retreading a lot of stuff already covered.

I am truly sorry if some of you just can't get past the cosmetic shortcomings of TOS.
Old 11-24-04, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey fellas!!

$1.57 FX budget and some corny writing aside.....you gotta admit, Star Trek still has a lasting power to it! Anything that can survive long enough to become part of our pop culture you gotta give props to!!

Off topic here:

When I see Erin Gray on TV or see her name mentioned this is what runs through my mind:

"Off Think! Off Think! Off Think!"

Take care all!!
Old 11-25-04, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Yeah, TOS wins out on character chemistry most of all. Few shows, Sci-Fi or otherwise, have characters with chemistry as great as the Trio of Kirk/Spock/McCoy. Even the weaker episodes (like "Spock's Brain") are watchable due to the presence of this great chemistry. This show beats all of the spinoffs on entertainment value alone (very few TOS episodes ever drag, something that can't be said about any of the other ST shows).

(P.S. On the lyrics to Star Trek Theme thing, here's the whole story for those who want to know more)
Old 11-25-04, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All forms of Star Trek suck.
Old 11-25-04, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All forms of Star Trek suck.
and thanks sooooo much for coming into a thread like this Sven and giving your 2 cents. Do you have a favorite show that you like that we can post about it?
Old 11-25-04, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Before you start raggin' on sven, you might wanna check out the thread title?

Old 11-25-04, 05:47 PM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

OBVIOUSLY - the younger generation cannot appreciate what TOS was about plus keep in mind that it was made in the 60's and the special effects are not up to par, but the entire cast is superior to any other trek and besides if their was no TOS, then TNG DS9 or whatever do not exist, it's also funny i also wanted to point out that if the cast of TOS is subpay, why do the movies do so well, not just because of kirk and spock, but the whole cast.......................... TNG movies have never done that well, not even close, even with inflation
Old 11-26-04, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Wizdar
I bet Kirk would nail Tasha.

Janeway might, but who would want to watch?
More people than you think...
Old 11-26-04, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 237 Likes on 141 Posts
The thing is, and others have said this, that TOS is not just a product of its time, but it was also way ahead of its time. Sure, the allegory is so thick it's ludicrous in their stories about racism and the Vietnam war, but for the time, it was pretty damned revolutionary.

I've mentioned a few stinkers above, as have others. ("Brain and brain! What is brain?!") But TOS at its best produced some of the best hours of SFTV ever done. Is there any doubt that "City on the Edge of Forever" is one of the top ten dramatic hours ever shown on American network TV?
Old 11-27-04, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by ruk
OBVIOUSLY - the younger generation cannot appreciate what TOS was about
Age has nothing to do with it. There are people your age who hate TOS, and there are people who are 13 who love it.
Old 11-27-04, 01:43 PM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

well the majority are an older group!!!
Old 11-27-04, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts
No it did not.
Old 11-28-04, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by ruk
well the majority are an older group!!!
Older than what? You have figures to support this? Please show your work.

Old 11-28-04, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm 22 and I like it. Definitely not as much as the latter series and not as much as those who grew up on it, but I still like it.
Old 12-16-04, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 620 Likes on 499 Posts
I still think Kirk would do Yar right in the captain's chair. Heck, make it a 3-way with Troi too.