Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Buffy 4/30 "Empty Places"

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-03, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
The scene with Xander and Willow in the hospital bed was really heart breaking. The rest of the episode was a good mix of comedy and seriousness. Spike and Andrew made me laugh my @$$ off that was just too funny.
Old 04-30-03, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I sat there watching Buffy last night, and the show has become a numbing viewing experience.

Does Caleb possess the power to put suggestions in Buffy's head in order to send her into another ambush? Is this why it's a good thing that no one wanted to follow her back to the winery? There's no way Caleb could foresee that Buffy would be given the boot for her call to arms (part 2), is there?

Faith just stinks when she's surrounded by all that estrogen in the house. She was such a better character when she was on Angel. I still can't fathom why she had so much difficulty with those cops, she should have been able to dispatch them with ease, unless those cops had a power boost.

Poor Dawn, after all that's transpired, she finally had to choose someone else over Buffy. Doesn't this go back to "Conversations with Dead People"?

Willow and Xander's scene in the hospital was the only bit that rang true in the episode.
Old 04-30-03, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally posted by slop101
Anyways, it's good to see that this season went back to the more "fun" tone of year-one Buffy just like Joss promised. Like when Andrew was deceived into killing his best friend, or when Xander got his eye poked out, or when a SIT got killed and others got seriously injured - HA HA HA!!!
I know there was a lot of complaining every week during last season's episodes, but I would like to know why some people consider this season better. I've kind of been wondering all season like what slop101 just said.

This season seems to be the darkest, bleakest one yet. And the problems I have with it don't end there.

There are so many SITs that I can't keep track of them, and they all constantly whine worse than Dawn ever did. Every week the episodes feel like filler, and I keep waiting for some real pivotal action to take place. (Hopefully that finally happened with the way this episode ended tonight.)

At the risk of sounding like a whiney SIT, I have other gripes as well. Giles seems to disappear at times with no explanation. So many reruns interrupt the flow of this season, that its easy to forget or stop caring about what is happening. Another poster a while back indicated his dislike of Buffy these days because of the hypocritical nature of her refusing the power to possess her which would have allowed her to defeat this evil. I agree with others that Spike just isn't... well, SPIKE anymore.

I remember a lot of posts early on in the season exclaiming how great this year was for Buffy. I would be curious if those people still feel the same way. I'm just ready to accept the show is ending, because I'm "Episode I bored" with this story. (Ironically, if this season is somehow linked to Angel's, I couldn't be more excited every week with the way the latter is developing - and I wouldn't want to miss the next one under any circumstance. )

Funny though. I kept thinking last night how much more likeable Faith was compared to Buffy, then I ended up feeling guilty after the way things ended last night. Buffy's tears made me regret I had gotten my wish! (Yes - if you cry, I will back down from my position and turn into a complete wussy. )
Old 04-30-03, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
I enjoyed that episode A LOT.
I think it's pretty interesting that the title character is being shown as being a questionable (and sometimes annoying) leader.
Damn, that's why I love the show so much.

Andrew kills me.

Plus, I cracked up when we found out that Clem drives a red VW beetle!
Old 04-30-03, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ahhh, I'll miss Andrew's humor once this show is gone.

How about that? Both President Palmer and Buffy were removed from power Tuesday.

But, I'll enjoy watching Buffy's replacement a lot more......
Old 04-30-03, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not a bad episode
Highlights:
Anya and Andrew - fun e.
Anya - great bare belly
Faith - great slut
Buffy - great dirty thoughts on how she lost her voice (Spike did imply she liked it dirty in an earlier episode)
Dawn - can't wait for her to do Playboy or better yet Embrace of the Vampire 2.
Old 04-30-03, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Yep, last night's show was a laugh riot!!!

Actually I laughed pretty hard at Andrew on the motorcycle, wearing a football helmet. But that was it.
Old 04-30-03, 10:53 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Lots of dark humor at the beginning there - "Nobody can make me watch Jaws 3-D again"

I totally agree with the ending - Buffy had no strategy, esp. after the last disastrous attack. I'm not sure if its her judgement or the writers setting up for the finale. Kicking her out was the only thing they could do because I don't think she could have handled a demotion. Now, Faith gets to lead whether she wants to or not - this would make sense if they go with a 'Faith TVS' tv show.

So, 2 more episodes and then the finale?
Old 04-30-03, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

the whole episode, save the last 10 minutes, felt like filler. nothing really moved the story along except spike's field trip.

and so it appears that caleb needs the sits for the final plan or something....that's what i believe was talking about when he said he planted the seed in buffy (ew).

cranky.
Old 04-30-03, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by crankyman
the whole episode, save the last 10 minutes, felt like filler. nothing really moved the story along except spike's field trip.

and so it appears that caleb needs the sits for the final plan or something....that's what i believe was talking about when he said he planted the seed in buffy (ew).

cranky.
I dunno... I mean, by the end of the episode, Buffy was kicked out of her own house & removed from the leadership role. In order to do that, you needed to have some reason for the SITs to follow Faith (hence the trip to the Bronze & their fight with the cops) and you'd need to have examples of Buffy displaying her current attitude towards the SITs in front of Faith (which would be the scene with the newsclippings about Caleb). Without those two scenes, you wouldn't have the motivation for the SITs to follow Faith or the motivation of Faith to actually take (or, at least, accept) the lead.

The scene with Caleb was somewhat filler, but I'd wonder if the scene will end up paying off in a future episode (to show if she was right or wrong for wanting to go to the vineyard).
Old 04-30-03, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally posted by Chopper
I'd wonder if the scene will end up paying off in a future episode (to show if she was right or wrong for wanting to go to the vineyard).
As much as I like the idea of Buffy being just plain wrong (I like the way her character has become almost unlikeable - that's kind of daring), and summarily cast out, I suspect she will somehow be redeemed by the series finale.

Though if she wasn't, that would REALLY be a cool way to end a series. Have the hero (and title character) be wrong, without the chance at redemption.

I still think the episode where Buffy was in a mental institution would have been a trippy way to end it too. That was a friggin' great one...

Last edited by Pointyskull; 04-30-03 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-30-03, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by 12thmonkey

I still think the episode where Buffy was in a mental institution would have been a trippy way to end it too. That was a friggin' great one...
I agree, that would have been great - up there with newharts series finally!
Old 04-30-03, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by 12thmonkey
Hmmm, who says it still can't? Maybe she wakes up again to her mother in the finale?
Old 04-30-03, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
I too thought it was a great episode. Faith looked hotter than ever and the chemistry between Spike and Andrew was hilarious.
In terms of the ending, I really thought it was logical and knew that either Faith would not tolerate Buffy's crap and leave or Buffy would have everyone turn on her and embrace Faith as their leader once she tried the old "I'm the Slayer" argument.
Despite the fact that she has murdered, Faith is the tough-girl type that young ladies want to follow, and I admired the fact that they didn't make Buffy bitter of Faith but more or less encouraging of her to lead the girls. (Attempt at least.)
Old 04-30-03, 05:57 PM
Banned

Some of you folks need to relax and step away from the TV, it's only a TV show. I know people want to see the same crap all over again, but I like this story line. It feels different. The last 10 minutes last night was intense, I felt so bad for Buffy. I have no idea what this is leading to, and I think that is a good thing.
Old 04-30-03, 09:20 PM

Originally posted by Chew
How about that? Both President Palmer and Buffy were removed from power Tuesday.
Aw, man. I haven't watched 24 yet.

This is a Buffy thread!
Old 04-30-03, 09:43 PM

Originally posted by Danger1313
Aw, man. I haven't watched 24 yet.

This is a Buffy thread!
Yeah, I also read that right before I watched 24. And a good chunk of the show is Palmer's hearing to determine if he is fit to act, so thanks a lot Chew.
Old 05-01-03, 06:40 AM

Originally posted by Lateralus42
Some of you folks need to relax and step away from the TV, it's only a TV show.
Never, ever, say that again about Buffy.
Old 05-01-03, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Brian_92gsr
Yeah, I also read that right before I watched 24. And a good chunk of the show is Palmer's hearing to determine if he is fit to act, so thanks a lot Chew.
Sorry about that. I'll have to watch what I say more carefully when talking about other shows.
Old 05-01-03, 08:08 AM

I thought it was pretty good. They still haven't won me over due to all the re-running, but I like where this is going. I'm a big fan of "loner Buffy". She's always been at her best when she was on the outside. I would have done that ending several episodes ago, though, before Faith was ever around. It would have been a lot more interesting if Buffy was triking out on her own while the Scoobies took on the SIT work and the frustrations there. Plus, that would have been a better reason to bring Faith in if the gang needed another slayer to lead these girls in the fight. Then you would have had opposing forces working toward the same goal and lots more action. It would have sort of mirrored the original Faith plot line except this time the slayer roles are reversed. Anyhow, just a thought.
Old 05-01-03, 04:14 PM

I still like Buffy as much as I did in the first season. I don't really see this season as being much different than previous ones. The first few episodes deal with consequences of the previous season ending; the middle episodes are mostly filler that give characters a chance to evolve; then the last episodes everything begins building up to the finale.

Angel on the other hand jumped the shark already, then named the shark Connor and gave it a part on the show. I can't even watch that mindless drivel anymore. Oh, but it must have "action" in it so that makes it a better show I guess.
Old 05-01-03, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
^ them's fight'n words.

Angel soundly trounces Buffy this year. It is better written, acted, directed and while it has a smaller budget, it looks like it costs twice as much to make than Buffy does. Also, the characters on Angel still make sense.
Old 05-01-03, 05:04 PM

What's the deal with everyone complaining about how many reruns there are this season? Every season has 22 episodes starting the last week of September or first week of October and runs till around May 20.
Old 05-01-03, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
What's the deal with everyone complaining about how many reruns there are this season? Every season has 22 episodes starting the last week of September or first week of October and runs till around May 20.
It seemed like the most they ever showed at once was maybe 3 or 4. At least they used to give us the new shows in bunches. At the end of the season here, it has practically alternated between new & repeated...

Last edited by adamblast; 05-01-03 at 05:22 PM.
Old 05-01-03, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
It's not the number of eps...it's the way they scheduled them..

A good way to kill momentum is to stop it dead in its tracks with a repeat..which is what UPN has gone a number of times..

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.