Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Chiklis's Mackey or Sutherland's Bauer: Who's Better?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-03, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I thought this may be fun to do with different TV show characters. These two I really like.

Try to vote unbiasedly. Just because you love one show more than the other doesn't mean you have to vote for the character from that show.

If you vote, can you also state why as I'm just curious. If you don't watch either "The Shield" or "24" it's pretty much impossible for you to make a choice.

Obviously, things like writing or censorship (lack there of for FX) play an important role to some extent. Trying not to look at that...I would have to say Chiklis's Vic Mackey, and I'm a huge Bauer fan, so Sutherland is almost like '1a.' Though I would state Sutherland was better in season 1 due to what he had to face all "day." Overall, I give the very slightest edge to Chiklis. Oddly enough, I like the Bauer character more.

Others?
Old 04-24-03, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i like both shows and like both characters. I think I'd lean to Bauer cuz i was a fan of that show first.

but compare Chiklis's Mackey to his Commish and you see that he can play a wide range of characters...or atleast different types of cops
Old 04-24-03, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Mackey.

Bauer and Palmer are the only reasons I watch 24, so I have nothing against Jack, but Vic is an infinitely more compelling character. Bauer's a badass. Badasses are great, but they're relatively commonplace in TV and film. Sure, Bauer crosses the line at times, but there's no hardly any ambiguity. Torture a terrorist to prevent a nuclear bomb going off in LA? That's a lot more cut and dry than what we see daily with Vic. Vic's character has more layers of depth than any on television right now with the possible exception of Sipowicz, and Chiklis plays it brilliantly.

Also, I know it's just speculation, but it feels that the Bauer character was written this season to be "more like Mackey."

As an aside to that (since you said not to vote on the shows themselves), I've never felt like Mackey did something just because the writers wanted to shock me. It always makes sense. Bauer, on the other hand, is at the mercy of his plot, and sometimes it's very forced.

das

Last edited by das Monkey; 04-24-03 at 11:58 PM.
Old 04-24-03, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

are we talking about the character or the acting/portrayal of the character?
Old 04-24-03, 11:58 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
I like the Bauer character more but their are a bunch of guys who could play that character.

To me Chiklis is Vic Mackey
Old 04-25-03, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Ven,

I was talking about both in a way. I mean, who do you think pulls off the better performance and therefore you think the character is better overall.

Das,

I see what you are saying. The only thing is that Bauer is on FOX, and Mackey is on FX. There's only so many "crossing the line" situations Jack can do. I do agree, however, that his character is more at the mercy of the writers.
Old 04-25-03, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

in terms of liking a character, i like bauer, he's the hero. mackey is a dirty cop so its hard to like it at times, but he is probably a more interesting character.

to a large extent bauer aint deep. there just isn't enough time to develop the character's past, or the writers dont think there is. all we see is that jack is a hero and has always been a hero. no dark side, even when he kills a kid, its staged. thats what the audience wants though.

with mackey the writers play alot with him. you want to like him and hate him at the same time...and thats what makes him interesting
Old 04-25-03, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth PacMan2006 •<HR SIZE=1>I see what you are saying. The only thing is that Bauer is on FOX, and Mackey is on FX. There's only so many "crossing the line" situations Jack can do.<HR SIZE=1>

For me, it's not the content of the "crossing the line" that matters; it's the motivation, and which network it's on really doesn't enter into that. Hell, as far as I'm concerned, 24 has been more "graphic" this season than The Shield anyway. Bauer is a bit of a loose cannon right now, but he's still pretty cleanly on one side of the ethical spectrum. Mackey, on the other hand, is all over the place. To me, that's infinitely more intriguing. That's certainly not a knock on Bauer, who is a great character ... but he's no Mackey.

das
Old 04-25-03, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

dont you have a job das? go to bed
Old 04-25-03, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Venusian •<HR SIZE=1>dont you have a job das? go to bed <HR SIZE=1>

At least I'm not a dork

das
Old 04-25-03, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

btw, you got any cmpe jobs for me?
Old 04-25-03, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They're both loyal and highly capable guys, but I'm not too sure I'd want to be pals w/ either. As the man said about Harry Callahan "People have a nasty habit of getting dead around you..."

I like them both, but I prefer Jimmy McNulty (or the great Frank Pembleton), to either.
Old 04-25-03, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OMG, Mackey all day long! I really really like Jack Bauer and the way Sutherland plays him, but, man, You take Chiklis, who's just a bad ass in his own right, and then put him in the skin of a guy like Mackey? It's a no brainer. I would, however, love to see what they could accomplish together. If I had to pick one as a go to man THAT would be a hard decision.