Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Comcast HDTV?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-03, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 388 Likes on 278 Posts
Comcast HDTV?

Does anyone out there have a HDTV and use the box from comcast? My understanding is that there is a $15 install fee for the new box and it costs about $7 a month for the box rental. From what I gather I'll only be getting HBO in HDTV (I could get showtime as well but don't want it.)

Are there other benifits to getting the HDTV box from them?
seven bucks isn't a lot of money espescially to get something on my tv that is HDTV but it seems a tease to get only HBO.

I think I'll also get dolby digital for other channels but I could probably swap my current digital cable box and get that. I'm on the fence for getting satalite instead of staying with cable, but this may help me keep cable for a while longer. Thoughts?
Thanks,
Jeff
Old 04-23-03, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
A friend of mine has Comcast HDTV. The box you get is same as any digital box. You need an HD converter box. He gets HBO and SHO in HD. He also gets the local network affiliates in HD.
Old 04-23-03, 11:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My dad has Comcast HDTV and he got a special cable box, different than my digital cable box. His is platinum (ahhhhh...ohhhhh!) and supports DD 5.1. Here in the Detroit area Comcast has ~10 HDTV channels so far. All the major movie channels (HBO, Showtime, Cinemax) plus local channels and 2 PBS stations. A lot of the local stuff I believe is just standard stuff broadcast on the HDTV channels.
Old 04-23-03, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Red Dog
A friend of mine has Comcast HDTV. The box you get is same as any digital box. You need an HD converter box. He gets HBO and SHO in HD. He also gets the local network affiliates in HD.
This box has been replaced, at least in most moarkets. I have Comcast and they did the upgrade for free, no setup fee or extra monthly charge. I don't get local channels in HD in Seattle yet though, just Showtime and HBO
Old 04-23-03, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Roto
This box has been replaced, at least in most moarkets. I have Comcast and they did the upgrade for free, no setup fee or extra monthly charge. I don't get local channels in HD in Seattle yet though, just Showtime and HBO
So just to be sure, the box will recieve and translate a Comcast generated HDTV signal and pass it to my HDTV without the need to spend more $ on a ~$500 HDTV converter box?

Do they say they will be adding local or other programming in HDTV in your area? I think my comcast also offers HDTV for TLC or one of those kinds of channels.

Mmmmm Geniveve Goider in HDTV

Edit from ComCast website:

Do I need a Comcast HDTV digital terminal or decoder with a HDTV TV set?

To receive HDTV service from Comcast, you must have an HDTV-ready television set. In addition, you need an HDTV converter box that enables you to receive and watch HDTV programs. Comcast will provide the converter for an additional monthly charge. (Please understand the program that you are watching needs to be broadcast in an HDTV signal in order to truly experience HDTV. Contact your local Comcast office for additional information.) Broadcast HDTV programming is available at no additional monthly charge.
==================================
Still can't find what channels I'll get in HDTV in my area, some of the FAQ make it look like they will offer local network service in HDTV if its available...

Last edited by jpcamb; 04-23-03 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-23-03, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Comcast HDTV?

Originally posted by jpcamb
I'm on the fence for getting satalite instead of staying with cable
FWIW, I just weaned myself off the cable teat, and the difference in signal quality are such that I can make believe that I have HDTV! And for a few less $$, too.

As for satellite, don’t look for HDTV there. You’ll need a special receiver (& dish?) to get only a few HD channels (HBO, Show) and no HD locals.

But at least you won’t have to wonder who owns your local cable company this month.
Old 04-23-03, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
My friend just ordered Digital cable through Comcast with HDTV. He got a platinum box that the installer quoted as costing 900 dollars. Although that guy had NO idea what he was talking about, and didn't even know how to hook up the box. I'm serious, I actually had to install it myself. He was the most useless person I ever met in my life.

Anyway he gets HBOHD a PBS channel, ABC, and NBC in HD. He could get Showtime, but opted to not spend for the Showtime package.
Old 04-23-03, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by jpcamb
So just to be sure, the box will recieve and translate a Comcast generated HDTV signal and pass it to my HDTV without the need to spend more $ on a ~$500 HDTV converter box?
Correct, you don't need to buy your own converter box. The current box they use is a Motorola 5100. It's just a newer model of the digital cable box you already have. It has HDTV, fiber optic out for Dolby Digital 5.1, and changes channels significantly faster.

I think their plan is to give all locations their local HD channels, but they are being very slow about it here. They've been promising it since last December and no signs of it yet. Some locations get it, some don't. I think they have to negotiate a deal with any channel they broadcast.
Old 04-24-03, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well they are installing the box today. I'll let you know if its worth the extra cake and all. If its not much better than regular cable i'll be moving to the dish. I rememeber the image on my 27" sony was stunning, like going fron VHS to DVD so I can only imagine the improvement on my HDTV.

I left the Direct TV because at the time I had them they did not have or plan to offer local channels or any of the minor networks (UPN), I couldn't deal with the lack of local news or the need to use OTA signal.... that and I installed the dish in the fall and needed to repostion it as some tress grew leaves.
Old 04-24-03, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You could just punch a hole in the trees like they do in the AT&T Comcast commercials.

Hey, don’t get me wrong. If it works for you, then . And if you can get HD locals...

My experience with those turkeys (who have changed names 5 times in the last 7 years) has been dismal at best. I like the VHS (EP speed) to DVD comparison, ‘cause that’s that it looks like for me now.
Old 04-24-03, 06:49 PM

Re: Re: Comcast HDTV?

Originally posted by Wizdar
As for satellite, don’t look for HDTV there. You’ll need a special receiver (& dish?) to get only a few HD channels (HBO, Show) and no HD locals.
Not quite true. Every single sat. HDTV that I know of is capable of also receiving over-the-air (OTA) hi def signals, so you can get your locals if they're broadcasting hi def. You can also get CBS HD if you get a waiver, but this is easier said than done. And of course there's HD Net and Discovery HD, and probably ESPN HD soon on Dish and D*. So the sat/OTA boxes are viable options to cable.
Old 04-25-03, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

wow!

So I got the hook up last night. They even installed componenet cables at no charge, all I need is a toslink type cable for the 5.1 signal.

Watched some HD HBO, part of ER and some other stuff on PBS demo HD short progrtams, one even had Ashely Judd . The picture looked as good if not better than DVD in most cases. I'm also getting ABC in HD but I did not see CBS, they have the HD channels grouped in one area on the high end of the box.

On the minus side they gave me no literature for the channel guide, the most recent channel guide does not list the HD channels and the guy left without showing my wife where the channels were. It was his first install and he otherwise did a nice job, even hooked up the VCR again.

The signal for non-hd is about the same as it was with the old box, not as strong as satilite but better than OTA.

Bottom line: worth the small rental fee for the converter to get HD signal on my TV while still being able to pay the mortage.
Old 04-25-03, 07:58 AM

I need to get my widescreen hdtv soon so I can get Comcast Sportsnet in HD!!!!

I want to watch the Flyers in hi-def widescreen!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-25-03, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Got my dish 6000 receiver for $300, but it's already paid for itself many times over. I get free locals in HD now, and all set for ESPN-HD and whatever else dish is gonna come out with. Sorry cable, you had your chance.
Old 05-27-03, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Has anyone been able to get ESPN-HD from comcast?
Old 05-27-03, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Re: Re: Comcast HDTV?

Originally posted by Stats
Not quite true. Every single sat. HDTV that I know of is capable of also receiving over-the-air (OTA) hi def signals, so you can get your locals if they're broadcasting hi def. You can also get CBS HD if you get a waiver, but this is easier said than done. And of course there's HD Net and Discovery HD, and probably ESPN HD soon on Dish and D*. So the sat/OTA boxes are viable options to cable.
Minor clarifiaction to this:

CBS with waiver is Dish only. D* (which I have and a waiver) does not offer CBS in HD.
Old 05-28-03, 12:17 PM

To add onto taa455 post- Any rumblings as to when Comcast will be adding more HD channels?
Old 05-28-03, 12:40 PM
Banned

Is Comcast HDTV "watered down" like their regular TV signal?
Can you connect up an antenna and make a judgement call for us?