TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Enterprise 04/16/03

Old 04-15-03, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Enterprise 04/16/03

Episode Title: 'Horizon'

Spoiler:
While Enterprise is on its way to investigate a planetary phenomenon near Earth, Mayweather gets a chance to visit his family on their cargo ship, but his homecoming is cut short when the ship is attacked by alien pirates. Meanwhile, aboard Enterprise, T'Pol and Phlox, who are horror-movie novices, are introduced to the unique human experience of watching the black and white version of Frankenstein with the rest of the crew

Written By: Andre Bormanis
Directed By: James Contner
Old 04-15-03, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Spoiler:
Yeah but is it in widescreen or P&S?
Old 04-15-03, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, thank gawd: only took me four years to get beyond Senior Member status!!
Old 04-16-03, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^^^ bump

Don't want it falling off the front page, since it's on tonight!
Old 04-16-03, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's some reviews...first a generally positive one

Horizon:

Q: Whatís it about?
A: About 43 mins.

Q: Need more details El Schmucco.
A: Travisís Dad has died and Travis goes back to his old ship to see his family. While heís there the crew of the Enterprise watch a movie and survey a planet.

Verdict:

Grade: B-

Christ on a bike, Reno, have you gone stark staring mad??? This was the most boring episode known to man.

Well, this was the first Ent episode to touch me on a personal level. So while the episode itself wasnít terribly great over all, it did have its moments, but more importantly to me, there were some parallels in my own life which make grading this episode quite tough. Since I lost my Dad a few years ago and he was a merchant seaman for at least 2 decades, there were some things in this episode that rang true for me, which I doubt will ring true for many other people. Itís also hard for anyone who hasnít lost a parent to empathize with storylines that touch that aspect of the self. Thatís why Iím pretty sure most people will probably find this episode far less engaging than I did.

The ep starts off with what is up there as the most boring and irrelevant teaser ever devised. Mayweather is reading a book. He gets a call asking him to go to the bridge. He says heís on his way. Firstly they already did this with Trip. Secondly Ė who THE HELL thinks this is worth putting in a TV show Ė let alone the teaser??? Seriously, B&B need slapping upside the head. Electro shock Ė SOMETHING!

But then we get into Act One and thatís forgotten. Travis gets the call about his Dad being dead. Archer goes to see him. Travis is in tears Ė and what plays out is one of the most spell binding scenes Iíve seen in a long time. AM CAN ACT! I mean, I had a tear in my eye. I felt that moment. And Bakulaís performance was spot on to go with it. ****, I didnít know Travisís Dad and I felt the loss too. From someone who's been there AM's reaction was exactly right IMO.

Unfortunately the rest of the episode doesnít quite live up to this scene, but it comes close. There are a couple of shaky wooden moments from AM, but overall he gives a performance in this ep that lets us connect with Travis like we never have before. Heís thoughtful, heís VERY smart, heís caring. Heís a good guy. He should be easier to write for now AM has been given enough material to show the writers where Travis is at as a character.

The fan boy mention of an Orion Freighter was nice. The actual pirates in this ep are not names. Donít know who they are.

The scenes with the Mom and Brother half worked and half didnít. But that was mostly down to the material. Really what was missing was real in depth family complexities, like we got with Picard in family. It could have been achieved and was set up to be achieved, but two things let it down.

Firstly the attack on the freighter. Not only was it stupidly easy to defeat, it seemed to serve little purpose. It was a clumsy and juvenile way of getting the two Mayweather brothers to respect each other, and considering the brilliance of Act One, was really beyond pathetic. A much more adult approach was required.

Secondly, The dreaded B plot reared its head, and again, like a previous crap episode this season, bore none of the emotional content of the A plot, and sought to destroy what was being dealt with in the A plot.

TíPol goes to the movies. Funny in places. Very well acted by everybody. The best line was when TíPol says tongue in check ĎOn the contrary. Iím looking forward to ĎBride of Frankensteiní

But really, this is a thin plot, a one scene joke stretched out to episode length and barely disguising the fact that the writers didnít know what to do with the rest of the crew. Well Jesus, you gave TíPol a whole ep to herself in Carbon Creek. A real adult look at death and family and loyalty with Mayweather wouldnít have gone amiss. Or at least a B plot that reflected the A plot.

So what we have all in all is a mixed bag. Some truly great acting from everybody, especially AM and SB. A great set-up. Some excellent soul searching moments, ruined by very poor construction, some flaccid and poor story choices and generally weak execution of a mature theme.

The plus side is that I really felt like Iíd connected with Mayweather by the end of the ep, and considering how Mr/ token has been treated so far on ENT, thatís no bad thing.

Oh andÖ

A brief word on Technical stuff.

The score this week was excellent. It reminded me a little of moments from Star Trek 5. Very emotive. Certainly not wallpaper. Really great piece of music.

The freighter was brilliantly designed, inside and out.

Last edited by MvRojo; 04-16-03 at 01:34 PM.
Old 04-16-03, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's another positive

---SPOILERS---

I don't generally review episodes, but I felt compelled to talk about this one, simply because it was such a pleasant surprise. We all have been talking for years about character-development episodes, and I feel that Enterprise has finally delivered a good one.

I was very surprised by Anthony Montgomery's performance. I misjudged his acting ability. I found myself being very empathetic to both him and his brother. I have only one sibling, a brother as well, so I suppose I saw a lot of parallels between my relationship with my brother, and Travis's relationship to Paul. I read Reno's review and he said he was able to connect with Mayweather losing his father--so this episode seems to be connecting with different people in different ways. I'd say that's a mark of good writing and acting.

For the B story, it wasn't all that engaging, but I did feel like we get to see a little bit of T'Pol's cultural isolation onboard a crew of humans. I think the plot conveyed that effectively.

Details:

HOT CHICK ALERT!!!

Nora (Nicole Forrester), Travis's childhood friend and crewmate... wow. EASILY the hottest guest star on the show thus far. Girl next door look for sure, but very beautiful. Hotter than Culter and the Kriosian chick. Props to Travis if she and he ever hooked up. Hope we see her again.

Special effects- Top notch, as usual.

The climax- I felt the problem was resolved too easily, and a bit too short, but it was only a vessel to facilitate the story tension between Travis and Paul, and it served its purpose.

They should name the damn alien race though!! Messes me up on the list.

Nitpick: I'm not a physicist, but does volume and weight displacement matter in a warp field, or in a vaccuum? I don't think it does... so Travis's comment was kind of silly.

Overall, I'd give it an A I've only given A's to five other episodes this season... (Carbon Creek, Minefield, Dead Stop, Cease Fire, Future Tense) so this is high praise from me.

I FEEL like we FINALLY know something about someone on this crew. We have a vested interest in their lives. Hope to have more episodes like this.
Old 04-16-03, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Over at the TrekBBS, there hasnt been a negative one yet, but when there is one, I'll post it.
Old 04-16-03, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This time of the week already....
Old 04-16-03, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk God

The fact that the positive reviewer has already given out 5 'A's this season should tell you something about his credibility. Of course, maybe he is grading on a curve.
Old 04-16-03, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Meh. Every little detail about this entire episode screamed "been there, done that".

The only other thing to say: why is it that every single preview for Enterprise now advertises it as an event?
Old 04-16-03, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
it was cool when they disconnected from the cargo. the ship itself was quite small

Last edited by mikehunt; 04-17-03 at 05:56 PM.
Old 04-17-03, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought it was a good episode. They really haven't done this before in the Trek universe. The whole cargo ship side of the Trek universe has not really been explored so much.

Finally some character development on the nameless black helmsman.

I think this is the best way to develop the Trek Universe, not through new aliens (read makeup) but through good character development and new stories etc.

I agree, why do they have to advertise every episode and give it a subtitle?

and what happened to the story arc?

Every week I am thoroughly impressed with the SFX of this show. They are really on par with the recent movies. The shots of the ship and different planets look incredible.
Old 04-17-03, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by tanman
I thought it was a good episode. They really haven't done this before in the Trek universe. The whole cargo ship side of the Trek universe has not really been explored so much.

Finally some character development on the nameless black helmsman.

I think this is the best way to develop the Trek Universe, not through new aliens (read makeup) but through good character development and new stories etc.

I agree, why do they have to advertise every episode and give it a subtitle?

and what happened to the story arc?

Every week I am thoroughly impressed with the SFX of this show. They are really on par with the recent movies. The shots of the ship and different planets look incredible.
I think they're taking a cue from the lame promos that NBC has used for a lot of their shows, which I think is stupid.

And if you mean the Klingon arc, the next episode dealing with Archer and his escape is on May 14th and deals with Tellarites and bounty hunters.
Old 04-17-03, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by MvRojo

And if you mean the Klingon arc, the next episode dealing with Archer and his escape is on May 14th and deals with Tellarites and bounty hunters.

It's about time that we see the Tellarites.
Old 04-17-03, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I had a power outage that lasted 16 hours, so I wonít be able to give this episode my usual flaming.

Originally posted by Red Dog
The fact that the positive reviewer has already given out 5 'A's this season should tell you something about his credibility.
I donít see the purpose of multi-page ďreviewsĒ from questionable sources. We donít know who these people are, or what makes them tick. Fer instance, you can feel reasonably safe betting a small, productive, farm that Wizdar is going to flame an episode regardless of how many folks think it was the best thing since the invention of sex. mikehunt is pretty much middle of the road and doesnít seem to go overboard in either direction. Just to cite two examples.

I donít think these ďreviewsĒ have changed anybodyís mind about their own opinions of an episode, which is what I prefer to read here.

If I wanna read stuff posted on another site, Iíll go there.

Thatís JMO. YMMV.
Old 04-17-03, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
I'm just waiting the the Enterprise version of "Yesterday's Enterprise"

Spoiler:
totally a joke, not based on any episode rumors or anything

I generally enjoy Enterprise, although the continuity problems and un-orignal B&B scripts make it tough at times

Last edited by mikehunt; 04-17-03 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-17-03, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by mikehunt
I'm just waiting the the Enterprise version of "Yesterday's Enterprise"

Hey, if itís got Denise Crosby in it, Iíll buy the beer!
Old 04-17-03, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

"Tomorrow's Enterprise"
written by B&B
the temporal cold war heats up when a curious crewman breaks into Daniels' quarters and messes with the future tech creating a temporal rift. Out pops the Enterprise NCC 1701 (insert any letter A-E or none, D or E would work if the TNG cast is willing to come back)
standard B&B ruining of continuity ensues