Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Six degrees of Detective Munch

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 04-15-03, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to determine how many different TV shows inhabit the same version of reality, and the links between them. I realized that Detective Munch from Homocide: Life on the Streets and now The Law and Order plays a key role in proving that these shows inhabit the same universe. Can anyone add to the example below, or show a different "universe" shared by other shows. Spinoffs are obvious ones but list them anyways if you please.

I'll start with mine.

The 3 Law and Order shows.
Homicide: Life on the Streets
X-Files - Richard Belzer portrayed Detective Munch in "Unusual Suspects".
Millenium - I'm fairly certain that Frank Black appeared in an X-FIles episode.
Strange Luck - Chance's Brother told him that if he needed help, to contact someone at the FBI named Mulder.
The Simpsons - Mulder and Scully appeared in one of the episodes.

Nash Bridges (Questionable link) - I think in Homicide there was a reference to the Nash Bridges character.

Can anyone add to this list?
Old 04-15-03, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

XFiles is linked to Picket Fences.

D
Old 04-15-03, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
ER and Third Watch(?) had a crossover episode, but that universe may not be linked to Munch in any way
Old 04-15-03, 11:51 AM

Originally posted by Derrich
XFiles is linked to Picket Fences.

D
I didn't know that. What is the connection?
Old 04-15-03, 11:59 AM

As soon as you hit "The Simpsons," you branch out into a ton of other shows.
Old 04-15-03, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by mikehunt
ER and Third Watch(?) had a crossover episode, but that universe may not be linked to Munch in any way
At one point, there was talk of doing an ER/Law & Order/Homicide crossover, but ER backed out, so it wound up being a Law & Order/Homicide crossover.

Of course, since characters from St. Elsewhere appeared on Homicide, all of those shows are part of an autistic child's dream, as are:

The Critic (Jay Sherman was on the Simpsons)
Law & Order SVU (Munch appeared there)
Law & Order: Criminal Intent (They crossed over with vanilla Law & Order at one point)
Lone Gunmen (X-Files spin-off)
Chicago Hope (characters crossed over to Homicide)
Pickett Fences (crossed over with Chicago Hope)
Ally McBeal (crossed over with Pickett Fences)
The Practice (crossed over with Ally)
Boston Public (crossed over with the Practice, and it means this autistic kid dreamed of Fyvush Finkel twice!)

The list goes on from there ... see http://www.slushfactory.com/columns/...yZloMBeEdd.php for all the details, and thanks to Dwayne McDuffie who pointed it out in the first place. (Also, thanks to DVDTalker Brian Jacks who runs Slush Factory).
Old 04-15-03, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by JasonFliegel

Law & Order: Criminal Intent (They crossed over with vanilla Law & Order at one point)

When did CI and L&O crossover? I have only seen CI a couple of times - can't stand it, but I have seen every Law & Order episode. I don't recall a crossover - at least on L&O.

Note that there were plans for a 3-part 3-way L&O crossover prior to 9-11; it was supposed to have a terrorism theme, but Dick Wolf scrapped it after 9-11. I never recall ER being a proposed crossover with L&O or H:LOTS.

L&O has crossed over with SVU though.

Last edited by Red Dog; 04-15-03 at 12:11 PM.
Old 04-15-03, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Red Dog
When did CI and L&O crossover? I have only seen CI a couple of times - can't stand it, but I have seen every Law & Order episode. I don't recall a crossover - at least on L&O.

L&O has crossed over with SVU though.
Crossover is probably the wrong word. Jerry Orbach and Jesse Martin appeared as Lenny Briscoe and Ed Green in a first season episode of CI. I didn't see the episode, so I have no idea how big a role they played.

I never recall ER being a proposed crossover with L&O or H:LOTS.
From this site http://members.aol.com/hlots98/hgloss.htm (A Homicide:LoTS glossary):

Crossovers: H:LotS has been involved in a rather amazing 10 crossovers with 6 different shows involving 4 networks. In a cameo, Detective Mike Logan (Chris Noth) of NBC's Law and Order brings a prisoner to Pembleton. (Law and Disorder) Three times, a case began on Law and Order and ended on H:LotS: Charm City (1) For God and Country (2); Baby, It's You: Parts One and Two; Sideshow: Parts One and Two. (NBC wanted ER involved in the second H:LotS/Law and Order crossover, but the ER producers declined.) A boy's heart can be seen being delivered to Mandy Patinkin's character from CBS's Chicago Hope. (A Doll's Eyes) Richard Belzer's Munch character appeared on FOX's The X-Files in Unusual Suspects, an episode set in Baltimore. Alfre Woodard reprised her St. Elsewhere role of Dr. Roxanne Turner in Mercy, and Ed Begley Jr. did the same for his Dr. Victor Ehrlich character in Homicide: The Movie (although his name is never given because of legal clearences.) After HLotS's cancellation, Richard Belzer's Munch character moved to Law and Order: Special Victims Unit, and had a cameo on Homicide producer Levinson and Fontana's UPN series The Beat. (Note: See also Law and Order, Law and Order: SVU, The X-Files) (In a minor crossover, a brief shot of a hospital TV, features the same puppet show (Miss Sally's Schoolyard) sometimes seen on Tom Fontana's HBO series Oz. (Homicide: The Movie)

Last edited by JasonF; 04-15-03 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-15-03, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The list goes on from there ... see http://www.slushfactory.com/columns/...yZloMBeEdd.php for all the details, and thanks to Dwayne McDuffie who pointed it out in the first place. (Also, thanks to DVDTalker Brian Jacks who runs Slush Factory).
Thanks for mentioning that column, I highly recommend everyone read it. The author is Dwayne McDuffie, who is currently a head writer on Cartoon Network's Justice League and WB's Static Shock. His TV crossover column is one of his best.
Old 04-15-03, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Crossover is probably the wrong word. Jerry Orbach and Jesse Martin appeared as Lenny Briscoe and Ed Green in a first season episode of CI. I didn't see the episode, so I have no idea how big a role they played.

Then I hope Briscoe made a wisecrack about Detective Know-it-All.

BTW, many fans think there were only 3 L&O/Homicide crossovers. There were actually 4. Chris Noth is briefly in a season 3 episode of Homicide in his role of NY Detective Mike Logan.
Old 04-15-03, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

After reading this thread I'm all ready for my Homicide:LOTS DVD to come out. Munch did appear on "The Unusual Suspects" ep of The X-Files and Frank Black appeared on the X-Files ep (approapriately titled) "Millennium".

Briscoe and Green appeared really briefly in the series premiere of L&O:CI and they've been on several eps of SVU along with Van Buren. the premiere was the only ep of CI that I've actually seen so I have no clue if they've done another crossover.

Man i would have really loved a three-way L&O crossover. Can't Dick Wolf think of some other reason to get these three shows together?
Old 04-15-03, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

OK, get this:

The Beverly Hillbillies connects with
Petticoat Junction connects with
Green Acres --------> all from Hooterville

Green Acres connects with Hogan's Heroes ----> a reference to Stalag 13 and Colonel Hogan

Hogan's Heroes connects with Batman -----> Col. Klink pops out of a window (don't try to understand it)

Batman connects with The Addams Family ---> Lurch did a pop-up

It goes on and on. Check this site for all crossovers and sequels: http://www.poobala.com/crossoverlist.html
Old 04-15-03, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Richard Belzer was in The Big Picture with Kevin Bacon.