TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

I love the 80s

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-03, 10:51 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love the 80s

Vh1 showed all 10 hours of this in a row today. I just happened to flip the channel to it during the first hour and ended up watching way too much of it. I didn't think I would be that interested in an 80s retrospective, but I really enjoyed their choices of celebrities they had to comment on everything. I especially liked that the 2 people they showed the most were Hal Sparks and Michael Ian Black. I've missed Sparks ever since he left Talk Soup and this week's Michael Essany really left me wanting more of Black. Why would I want to see Essany's mediocre monologue and comedy bits when I could be watching one of the great comedians from the State instead? I didn't see the whole thing, but I was surprised at how little some of these people were on. Especially Kathy Griffen and the cast of Life with Bonnie seemed to comment on one thing and never be seen again.

When did this special originally air? Even though I OD'd on this today, I think I'd really like an I Love the 90s series also.

Also, several times they showed this Vh1 promo with cats in space suits. Does anybody know what song is being played in that promo?
Old 04-12-03, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Original discussion.

The VH1 promo music is puzzling. I think there might have been a discussion in Music Talk. Short answer: I don't know.
Old 04-13-03, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I watched the majority of this marathon today. This was a great show and brought back a lot of memory. And I agree that VH-1 made a great decision in showing more of Hal Sparks and Michael Ian Black. Both of them were constantly cracking me up.
Old 04-13-03, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After seeing that VH1 has nothing more in the tape vault other then this, the Nicole smith show, and any other count down of the hottest/best/1 hit wonders/ etc. I now hate whatever show they have.

they played this last week and the week before that and during the week days.

It was nice at first but it sucks you in and I find it odd that has beens are talking mad shyte about the old actors of the 80's. it's like the kettle calling the pot black.
Old 04-13-03, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
I don't have fond memories of the 80s and found I Love the 80s to be pretty much hillarious. Have seen a majority of the series and hope they either marathon it again or repeat a few episodes I missed a few times.

I didn't expect to enjoy it at all, but there's a lot of truth in their comments... makes the 80s just as cheesy as I remembered 'em.
Old 04-13-03, 03:40 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the link to the original discussion. I hate the 4 letter minimum on the search function. I couldn't search for vh1 or 80s, so I didn't know what to search for.

Also, I found that thread in music talk and the song from the promo is a remix of the Fischerspooner song "Emerge".

Last edited by nny; 04-13-03 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-13-03, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
After seeing that VH1 has nothing more in the tape vault other then this, the Nicole smith show, and any other count down of the hottest/best/1 hit wonders/ etc. I now hate whatever show they have.
Anna Nicole Show is on E, not VH1.
Old 04-13-03, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by nny
Thanks for the link to the original discussion. I hate the 4 letter minimum on the search function. I couldn't search for vh1 or 80s, so I didn't know what to search for.

Also, I found that thread in music talk and the song from the promo is a remix of the Fischerspooner song "Emerge".
Just add a * to the end of your three letter search. It'll serve as a null wildcard but give you the 4 letter minimum.
Old 04-14-03, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the whole series taped on 2 cassettes and sometimes I leave it running in the background while I'm doing something else. The commentaries are just too funny!

As for an "I love the 90s", There was a quote before from the producers that they'd do an EXTRA hour of 80s before they even think about a 90s special. I'd be all for that.
Old 04-14-03, 05:24 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I guess it'd be harder to find so many unique and funny trends in the 90s. I wanted a 90s special mainly because that's the decade that I really grew up in. Maybe they could start doing 1 a year.

I liked in Dinner for Five last week, somebody said you can't be nostalgic for 5 years ago and sadly both Jon Favreau and I are actually nostalgic for 5 years ago
Old 04-14-03, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 956 Likes on 663 Posts
I watched this and I loved it. Very funny and very nostalgic. I wish they spent less time on the music and more on the crazy trends and on movies but that is just my personal preference. They are a music channel after all...

I am very glad that I am not the only person who thought that Teddy Ruxpin was scary as Heck.
Old 04-15-03, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 272 Likes on 171 Posts
Originally posted by tanman
I am very glad that I am not the only person who thought that Teddy Ruxpin was scary as Heck.
Breaking News: Evil/Creepy Bear Attacks Child!

Old 04-16-03, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I caught the one for 1985 (some of '86 too)....best part was the discussion about "Back to the Future". I'm a child of the 80's and i have a huge distaste for that particular decade. This show reminded me why i am happy i dont remember the 80's very well.

Sure i have watched an episode of "Knight Rider" recently and yes i am pissed A&E quit showing "Magnum P.I." but i still have a low tolerance for the 1980's.

Thank god i never watched "Small Wonder"

Good god...what the F were those guys smoking?