Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

South Park: 04/09

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-03, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyway, as for the episode itself, I have to say that I enjoyed it. Cartman carried it. I would say that I found it more entertaining than funny, and it did make good points. I had no problem with the recognition of the 100 shows at the end, unlike some people. After all, the Simpsons did the same thing with their 300th episode (and their 138th show!)...
Old 04-10-03, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Bust
I don't know how to say this without sounding condescending, but I really feel that people who don't get this show just aren't too bright. I guess that's what "reality" tv and shows like Jackass do to people.

This episode was amazing. As always, Trey and Matt are right on. Whether you choose to accept it or not, they just solved for us in 22 mintues what people in the war forum have been bitching about for 22 days. At this time yesterday, I would have never thought anyone could change my mind about those idiot protestors. I was wrong. I would never join them, but I see their purpose now. And it makes sense.

Anyway, rabble, rabble...

I guess I was just too dumb to comprehend the incredibly insightful and revelatory message Trey and Matt were trying to make in this episode.

No, wait, I did get it. It just wasn't funny or clever at all. All they did in this episode, as well as most of their other "eye-opening" episodes focusing on a current event, was state the obvious in a vastly over-simplified manner; no epiphanies. And since it was South Park characters acting it out, occasionally breaking into an uninspired and insipid song that utterly failed to humorously mock its real-life counterpart in any way, it was absolutely hilarious.

Gimme a break. This episode's "showing a side of ourselves" was little more than stereotypical and, again, over-simplified, and it just couldn't manage to address any issue in a genuinely witty and slightly over-the-top way as South Park does when it's at its best. All the protester scenes were far too predictable (anything predictable in this show is boring), and it was obvious that the writers were just trying too hard to be intelligent, which in effect took focus away from what this show is primarily supposed to be-- funny-- which this episode was not, aside from the Cartman stuff. The writing style went off course of what made the show funny in the first place.

Matt and Trey are at their best when they take on a more general issue and subtly weave it into the episode. When they do that, their attempt at coming to a supposed revelation or explanation isn't as pretentiously in-your-face as it is in episodes like this one, and it leaves them a lot more room to actually be funny. The South Park movie is a perfect example of this. It is the most intelligent and witty piece of South Park social commentary ever made, and believe me, I "got it".

Which actually leads back to my last post about South Park's use of a current event or political issue being much like The Simpson's use of a celebrity appearance. Use it in an overbearing manner and it ruins the episode, drowning out the kind of humor that the show is best at. And that is exactly what happened in 90% of this episode.

Last edited by tha_dvd_man; 04-10-03 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-10-03, 03:41 PM

Originally posted by movieking
I had no problem with the recognition of the 100 shows at the end, unlike some people. After all, the Simpsons did the same thing with their 300th episode (and their 138th show!)...
Neither did I have a problem with it, although at this point I would never use The Simpsons as a model for what is funny and should be copied. I thought the Simpsons 300th episode was horrendous. Let's celebrate The Simpson's 300th episode with Tony Hawk, ending with a mid-air skateboard fight between him and Homer! Eh, I suppose there was no better way to epitomize what has destroyed the show, so maybe it was for the best.
Old 04-10-03, 03:46 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by tha_dvd_man
I would never use The Simpsons as a model for what is funny and should be copied.
"Simpsons did it!"
Old 04-10-03, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Groucho
"Simpsons did it!"
BTW.. Awesome episode. One of the funniest one from Season 6.
Old 04-10-03, 06:33 PM

Yeah, it was just "ok". none of those really clever jabs one likes to see from SP, especially when dealing with a current event.

I did have to cheer at the way they made sure all the "stupid" residents of South Park were pro-war.
Old 04-10-03, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 964 Likes on 671 Posts
I seriously hope that we are not getting all our epiphanies from South Park. If you are then you need to read more and start thinking for yourself. Come on people, its entertainment. Sure it was an interesting idea but the world is much more complicated then it is in the lovely town of South Park.
Old 04-10-03, 07:34 PM

Originally posted by Mister Beefhead
I did have to cheer at the way they made sure all the "stupid" residents of South Park were pro-war.
Yeah, a real stroke of genius. Funny how they made the pro-war crowd in South park seem almost as irrational and stupid as the real life anti-war protesters.
Old 04-10-03, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 964 Likes on 671 Posts
Mister Beefman, tha dvd man, you are hereby sentenced to 25 posts in the war/politics room for bringing political opinions to the TV forum.

Old 04-10-03, 09:30 PM

Was that Slash on guitar?
Old 04-10-03, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 244 Likes on 155 Posts
I thought it blew.

Sure, Cartman trying to have a flashback was funny. But Cartman actually having a flashback was not. Not even a little bit. Cartman's said it often enough that I can no longer laugh out loud or be shocked when he calls Kyle a goddamm jew. And when they added the line to the declaration of independence about getting free ice cream, I wondered, "Is that all they can come up with? Ice cream?" These are the same guys who made Moses the Master Control Program from Tron. They can simply do better.

Stan took the words right out of my mouth by the ending, "What the hell are they doing?"

The first two this season were good (missed last week's Godfather/SOTL thing), but this reeked. They impressed the hell out of me with what they did about the Elian snatch, but the need to let this topical stuff go.
Old 04-10-03, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts
I thought the flashback scene was funny actually. How can you NOT laugh at Cartman killing someone while singing the Dawson's Creek theme song. And so nonchalantly at that. Also, it doesn't matter how many times I hear it, I still laugh when Cartman calls Kyle a Jew.
Old 04-10-03, 10:35 PM

Originally posted by Jason
I thought it blew.

Sure, Cartman trying to have a flashback was funny. But Cartman actually having a flashback was not. Not even a little bit. Cartman's said it often enough that I can no longer laugh out loud or be shocked when he calls Kyle a goddamm jew. And when they added the line to the declaration of independence about getting free ice cream, I wondered, "Is that all they can come up with? Ice cream?" These are the same guys who made Moses the Master Control Program from Tron. They can simply do better.

Stan took the words right out of my mouth by the ending, "What the hell are they doing?"

The first two this season were good (missed last week's Godfather/SOTL thing), but this reeked. They impressed the hell out of me with what they did about the Elian snatch, but the need to let this topical stuff go.
Well put.
Old 04-11-03, 04:16 AM

Originally posted by tanman
Mister Beefman, tha dvd man, you are hereby sentenced to 25 posts in the war/politics room for bringing political opinions to the TV forum.

Hey, I didn't even say I agreed with the sentiment (not that I don't). The point is, it's the kind of vaugely indirect jab you like to see from South Park.
Old 04-11-03, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally posted by Jason1973
Was that Slash on guitar?
Yes, I believe it was. That was the funniest part of the song to me.
Old 04-11-03, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by pixyboi
Cartman killing somebody while singing Dawson's Creek = Comedy
The song is called "I Don't Want to Wait" by Paula Cole. The fact that you only seem to know it as the Dawson's Creek theme is frightening....

I enjoyed this episode. Not spectacular but that maybe the obvious attempt to be clever which I thought it was.

Did NO ONE, enjoy the Donny and Marie "Little Bit Country /Little Bit Rock 'n Roll"? At first I didn't get Mr. Marsh's outfit (Elvis?). Then I realized it was a Donny Osmond outfit and laughed hysterically. The episode's ending is how The Donny & Marie Show would occassionally end (which is why they say, "We'd like to thank all our guests"). Genius!
Old 04-11-03, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth rfduncan •<HR SIZE=1>The song is called "I Don't Want to Wait" by Paula Cole. The fact that you only seem to know it as the Dawson's Creek theme is frightening....<HR SIZE=1>

Considering Cartman sings it because of its association with Dawson's Creek ... remember the Dawson's Creek Trapper Keeper Ultra Keeper Futura 2000, with 10 different compartments, electronic pencil sharpener, four plastic bags with electronic zippers, copy machine, fax, a better picture of Dawson's Creek on the back than Kyle's, flat screen TV, and of course ... OnStar!

"Trapper Keeper, initiate playing of Dawson's Creek theme song ... maximum volume."

And don't worry ... I too enjoyed the ending.

das
Old 04-11-03, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 620 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey
• Quoth rfduncan •<HR SIZE=1>The song is called "I Don't Want to Wait" by Paula Cole. The fact that you only seem to know it as the Dawson's Creek theme is frightening....<HR SIZE=1>

Considering Cartman sings it because of its association with Dawson's Creek ... remember the Dawson's Creek Trapper Keeper Ultra Keeper Futura 2000, with 10 different compartments, electronic pencil sharpener, four plastic bags with electronic zippers, copy machine, fax, a better picture of Dawson's Creek on the back than Kyle's, flat screen TV, and of course ... OnStar!

Yeah - this is the only reason I associate the song with Dawson's Creek. I certainly wouldn't know the actual name of the song nor the artist. I've never watched Dawson's Creek and I don't listen to Top-40 stations.
Old 04-11-03, 12:07 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Great episode. Despite the flaws, but then this is as close to real-time animation as we're going to see.
Old 04-11-03, 01:53 PM
Banned

Originally posted by pixyboi
Exactly. People aren't watching South Park for political clarity, they're watching it to see comedic vulgarity and violence.
They are? That's not all the show is about. That's not why I watch it.

Example: One of the best episodes of SP is the retarded-Tukey/Thanksgiving-Pagent/Helen Keller episode. That episode is very funny AND filled with pathos. It's hystarical AND sentimental and yet satires sentiment in holiday specials as well.

South Park is many things. If you only think its comedic vulgarity and violence then YOU'RE the one that's missing the point.

The show should also be praised for being so up to the minute. You can't be any more up to the minute on a scripted TV show. You don't see Friends or Raymond addressing current events the same week they happen. The lag time on most shows makes it impossible. SP should be commended for this.

They did? You don't get the show.

1. ALL the characters are stupid.

2. The red neck characters like Jimbo are never dismissed out of hand by Matt and Trey. These characters contribute to the SP community too. Not only was that the point of this episode, but it's been illustrated numerous times in other episodes, like when they save South Park from the worlds biggest "snake" firecracker w/ their illegle tiajana bottlerockets.

3. Looks who's on the anti-war side. Mr. Mackey? He's the stupidest guy on the show. Mr. Garison? Come on! Stan's Dad!?!?! He watched a guy jerk off in a hot tub The Mayor? She's diabolical.

Last edited by Pants; 04-11-03 at 01:55 PM.