TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Snl 4-5

Old 04-05-03, 11:41 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snl 4-5

IMO Parnell's Bush is 100x better than Ferrell's. It's as if he actually put some work and time into it instead of just acting retarded. But I guess that's what Ferrell does best.
Old 04-06-03, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This NYC-No-Smoking one's kinda funny...

(Except for Jimmy reading the darn cue cards.)
Old 04-06-03, 01:30 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Snl 4-5

Originally posted by Bust
IMO Parnell's Bush is 100x better than Ferrell's. It's as if he actually put some work and time into it instead of just acting retarded. But I guess that's what Ferrell does best.
I feel the complete opposite. Maybe it's the writing but tonight was the first time I've laughed during a Bush skit with Parnell.

I thought ep this was ok.

I thought the 3 stooges skit was funny.

I did like the WU joke about Rosie and her gf celebrating her gf taking the name O'Donnell by "eating out"

Gene Shalat in Iraq was funny for a while but got old.

Drunk Girl

The Saddam skit was bound to be a disaster. I don't think it's possible to have a skit with Sanz, Fallon, Kattan, and Richards in it and have the skit be funny.

Last edited by MrX; 04-06-03 at 01:36 AM.
Old 04-06-03, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I kept an open mind while watching this episode, because I loathe Bernie Mac. This didn't change my opinion. I think I missed half of his lines because he's got marbles in his mouth. Still, this was a bad show. It was almost embarassing at times watching the skits and there wasn't a peep from the studio audience, like during the Boston teens sketch and the dreadful 3 Stooges sketch.
The best line during WU was the Rosie O'Donnell line which Tina Fey totally ruined because she started freakin celebrating when the audience laughed. This woman is head writer, and she doesn't know jack about performing comedy.

Darrell Hammond - One appearance - 3 Stooges

Dean Edwards - One appearance - Black comedians' suits

Honk!
Old 04-06-03, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

'And they celebrated by eating out' ..

'wait for it..''

That was awesome.. Most other things were so-so to bad
Old 04-06-03, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Everything about this show was horrendous, with the exception of the eating out joke, and the musical performances.
Old 04-06-03, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by ravan
'And they celebrated by eating out' ..

'wait for it..''

That was awesome.. Most other things were so-so to bad
..much funnier when Conan does it. First they're stealing his jokes...now they're stealing his schtick?

That said, I missed the first half hour..i'm assuming that's where the funny was?

And contrary to Charlie Goose's opinion, the only reason I hung around that long was for Bernie. And even then, he only got a slight chuckle during the 3 Stooges skit.

I really hope they don't give Jeff Richards this much to do again..or else i'll never watch..

BTW...guess they're tapped out for ideas..the Swiffler PJs was funny..the FIRST time I saw it..

Whatever, man..
Old 04-06-03, 02:05 PM
Suspended

Fallon was on EVERY SKIT!!!!!
Did anybody else notice that?
Old 04-06-03, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Would someone PLEASE kill this show and put us (and them) out of our misery! I caught bits and pieces of last night's show flipping the channel. Absolutely nothing was on. Although I don't mind Bernie Mac on his own show, he was so stiff and kept flubbing his lines last night. The level this show has sunk to has dropped from sad to depressing.
Old 04-06-03, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought last night's show was pretty good actually. Bernie did a good job - I didn't catch him looking at the cue cards that much, but nobody does it as much as Fallon and Sanz. He was one of the better hosts in a dismal season.

The best skit was the Game Show Network skit where Jimmy and Horatio cleared the whole board but wouldn't do the "Black History" section. That was funny stuff, imo. As well as when Bernie and Tracy were watching The Pianist - that was a great piece. "You go Spielman!"

The Stooges skit was mildly amusing.

I guess I am alone, but I like the Saddam skit towards the end, it was kind of funny.

Tina Fey brought the funny last night for the first time ever. They need to get rid of her badly and they can't do it fast enough.

Charlie Goose - that bugged me, too, when Darrell Hammond was only in the Stooges skit. I can't believe that was all he did on last night's show. I like Dean Edwards, too, they definitely need to give him more to do.

I thought Amy Poehler was good w/ Bernie during the smoking skit, too.

Good Charlotte did a good job.
Old 04-06-03, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth Rogue588 <HR SIZE=1>And contrary to Charlie Goose's opinion, the only reason I hung around that long was for Bernie.<HR SIZE=1>

Same here. I love Bernie Mac and his approach to comedy, and I really wanted him to do a good job, but this episode was just crap on a stick. He did a fine job, I guess, but the writing was so bland that it didn't really matter. A couple of sketches, like the Black History one and talking in the movie theater, were good concepts, but they never really went anywhere. It's really time for a writing overhaul over there. They've had some great hosts this season and done nothing with them.

das
Old 04-06-03, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by das Monkey
Quoth Rogue588 <HR SIZE=1>And contrary to Charlie Goose's opinion, the only reason I hung around that long was for Bernie.<HR SIZE=1>

Same here. I love Bernie Mac and his approach to comedy, and I really wanted him to do a good job, but this episode was just crap on a stick. He did a fine job, I guess, but the writing was so bland that it didn't really matter. A couple of sketches, like the Black History one and talking in the movie theater, were good concepts, but they never really went anywhere. It's really time for a writing overhaul over there. They've had some great hosts this season and done nothing with them.

das
yep, they need a writing overhaul badly and they can start by kicking "headwriter" Tina Fey to the curb.
Old 04-06-03, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I honestly thought that GC looked a little bit tired and not with the energy that they usually bring. Btw, the Boston Redsocks skit was depressing, I don't think I heard a laugh in the audience. Did GC do more then one song since I was flipping between that and Fast times on Encore.
Old 04-06-03, 06:53 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by das Monkey
A couple of sketches, like the Black History one and talking in the movie theater, were good concepts
Didn't they do a different version of that already this year with the great moments in black history sketch, that they stole from In Living Color, where they had Tracy Morgan as the first black man to yell in a movie theatre. That was alot funnier then this one was.
Old 04-07-03, 02:00 PM

I have been defending SNL lately but this episode didnt help my argument at all. Still some funny spots but when its bad, its BAD. An all around nightmare of an episode, especially "Good Charlotte"(punk? ha ha!!!!) and the Tobasco Carry Purse. Looking forward to ZWAN this week though.
Old 04-07-03, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

"Yo man they touch you?" HAHA
Old 04-07-03, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

did they do ANYTHING with the stupid iraqi information minister? if not, they should just quit.
Old 04-07-03, 10:56 PM

We were shocked at Jimmy Fallon being in every skit. Ugh.

I think my favorite line was the one about the double-podium covering Donald Rumsfeld's boner talking about the war.

I liked the Game Show Network sketch and the movie theatre bit. Also the Comedy Suit skit had a few laughs.

The first half hour is supposed to be the strongest material and I couldn't believe they began with that awful Boston sketch.
Old 04-08-03, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I fell asleep right have Weekend Up Date. Guess that says what I thought about it...
Old 04-08-03, 12:49 AM
Suspended

You mean there were people other than Tina Fey on that show?
Old 04-08-03, 01:55 AM

the only reason worth watching the episode was that good charlotte rocks! (wish i knew the link to gutwrencher's headbanger smily)
Old 04-08-03, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have to agree that this was just another in a long line of crappy episodes. I like Bernie Mac but I thought he did bad on SNL. And SNL really needs to match up their hosts and musical guests better. What idiot decided to put Bernie Mac and Good Charlotte together on the same night. Did anyone see the look on Bernie Mac's face when he introduced them the first time? It was like "Who the hell is Good Charlotte?!"
Old 04-08-03, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by WWE Jedi
Did anyone see the look on Bernie Mac's face when he introduced them the first time? It was like "Who the hell is Good Charlotte?!"

He was not the only one..
Old 04-08-03, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth Rogue588 <HR SIZE=1>

He was not the only one..
<HR SIZE=1>

Not up to date on your wannabe image punk, eh? Don't worry.

das
Old 04-08-03, 09:03 AM

Whenever we hear bands like that we just start singing along, "Punk pop, punk pop, pop punk........" replacing all the lyrics with "pop" and "punk".

Who would have thought Green Day and the Offspring would have been so influential 10 years ago.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.