Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Gay "Blind Date" (with Roger Lodge)

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-03, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Gay "Blind Date" (with Roger Lodge)

I watch the show "Blind Date" off and on. I find it pretty funny overall. Maybe a little too mean spirited at times (don't these people watch the show before they go on it!?). Anyway, last night they had a same sex couple on. Have they done this before? It was two guys. And they couldn't have picked two more effeminate or stereotypical people. Which I thought was little insulting to gay people in general (and I hate to use the word, un PC). One of the guys was this tiny (and extremely bitchy) man/boy who is a hairdresser. The other was a romance novelist with frosted hair. Now, I know this show is an equal opportunity offender. And like I mentioned earlier, every person on this show is a target. But I felt this was above and beyond. Can't wait until they have two lesbians on there. You know, a construction worker who doesn't shave and a gym teacher.
Old 04-04-03, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They had a gay couple? I never thought they would try to hook up two gay guys.
Old 04-04-03, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Apparently they do this rather often, but it must vary as to where they'll show them. While visiting my brother in San Francisco last week, he was surprised I'd never seen one b/c he said he's seen several gay Blind Date episodes - and he said some of them are really hilarious.
Old 04-04-03, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would think they'd pick the flamboyant ones just for the sake of entertainment. Blind Date is trashy entertainment anyway, they have no need to be politically correct. Flamers are funnier.
Old 04-04-03, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Yeah - somehow I would guess that the gay episodes don't make on any of the affiliates in the South.

They had a gay episode on the DC affiliate this week - maybe the same one referred to here.
Old 04-04-03, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's a wonder they don't do a couple of lesbians or women who want to "experiment." Or have they?
Old 04-04-03, 03:56 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
PC or not, this would have been hilarious.
Old 04-04-03, 04:13 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn it, I always miss the good episodes. I bet the gay hair dresser looked just like Christ Katen from SNL.
Old 04-04-03, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally posted by Red Dog
Yeah - somehow I would guess that the gay episodes don't make on any of the affiliates in the South.
Aired the other night here in Greenville, SC.
Old 04-04-03, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally posted by FuzzyBallz
Damn it, I always miss the good episodes. I bet the gay hair dresser looked just like Christ Katen from SNL.
Wow, good comparison. Very close. But Chris Katen is 1000 times more masculine. If we're talking about that waifish character Katen plays that wears pink hot pants. Can't remember the name (Paco?).

And Big Whoppa, they have bisexual women on the show all the time. On a date with a guy that is. Of course this subject always comes up. About two minutes after the guy picks the girl up.
Old 04-04-03, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
There was show on MTV that was "Date Based" and it had a gay ep that never aired.
Old 04-04-03, 08:33 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Daytripper
Wow, good comparison. Very close. But Chris Katen is 1000 times more masculine. If we're talking about that waifish character Katen plays that wears pink hot pants. Can't remember the name (Paco?).

And Big Whoppa, they have bisexual women on the show all the time. On a date with a guy that is. Of course this subject always comes up. About two minutes after the guy picks the girl up.
Chris Katen plays the gay dancer named Mango who claims he's not gay.

You know watching a lot of pr0n gives you the impression that most women are either bi or bi-curious, which isn't a problem at all 'cause you do need at least 2 girls for a three-way, or add more if you want an orgy. Unless you're Christ Katen, errr, I mean Mango, then you'd need more guys...
Old 04-05-03, 01:40 PM
Banned

I just happened to turn the channel and saw this episode. You could tell who was the woman in the relationship.
Old 04-05-03, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh man, reality tv taken a little too far.
Old 04-05-03, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Giantrobo
There was show on MTV that was "Date Based" and it had a gay ep that never aired.
They did air an episode of DisMissed with a gay couple. I rarely watch the show, but I caught it, just for kicks.

They were so flamboyantly gay, and I think that's a shame, since not all homosexuals are like that. There are plenty of people that you wouldn't know were gay unless they were with their SO, and those are never portrayed on MTV.

Even on shows like Undressed and the non-fiction programming always picks the obviously gay homosexuals (that's redunant, I know.)

I mean, it's almost offensive. They seem to perpetuate horrible stereotypes.

I don't watch Blind Date, though, and I probably will continue to not watch.
Old 04-06-03, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by freedexter
They did air an episode of DisMissed with a gay couple. I rarely watch the show, but I caught it, just for kicks.

They were so flamboyantly gay, and I think that's a shame, since not all homosexuals are like that. There are plenty of people that you wouldn't know were gay unless they were with their SO, and those are never portrayed on MTV.

Even on shows like Undressed and the non-fiction programming always picks the obviously gay homosexuals (that's redunant, I know.)

I mean, it's almost offensive. They seem to perpetuate horrible stereotypes.

I don't watch Blind Date, though, and I probably will continue to not watch.
Is this the show with all the people standing in the backgroud cheering? It was big back in the '90's.
Old 04-06-03, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Giantrobo
Is this the show with all the people standing in the backgroud cheering? It was big back in the '90's.
No, that was called "Singled Out". DisMissed is the threesome date show where one guy/girl takes out two guys/girls and picks one in the end to be with.

It still airs on MTV.
Old 04-06-03, 10:27 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
They do same sex couples all the time on MTV's Taildaters... and that's not a pun... for a description of the show, check the link.

http://www.mtv.com/onair/taildaters/
Old 04-07-03, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm a gay guy and most people do not know. They are usually surprised when I tell them.

It would be nice if the show had some butch or average guys on instead of flaming queens. Oh well, most of the people they have on are jokes anyway.
Old 04-07-03, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by LiquidSky
Oh well, most of the people they have on are jokes anyway.
I think these dating-type shows do such a good job at making the heterosexual lifestyle look repulsive, that we have to allow them some leeway in making gays look bad, too...
Old 04-07-03, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by adamblast
I think these dating-type shows do such a good job at making the heterosexual lifestyle look repulsive, that we have to allow them some leeway in making gays look bad, too...
You know, you're right adamblast. We NEED more bad publicity for the gay community instead of the squeaky-clean, respectable and enviable image that the general public associates with them now. TAKE 'EM DOWN A NOTCH, Blind Date!
Old 04-07-03, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by rfduncan
You know, you're right adamblast. We NEED more bad publicity for the gay community instead of the squeaky-clean, respectable and enviable image that the general public associates with them now. TAKE 'EM DOWN A NOTCH, Blind Date!
Naw, we just need fewer uptight gay rights advocates and friends, who expect every image of the community to fit their idea of what's "positive." I like my TV, movies, whatever, to show 3-dimensional human beings, good or bad... The right to have villians, idiots, nelly queens or what-have-you actually turns out to be surprisingly important... It's not like every straight character on TV represents the heterosexual lifestyle... Gay people or characters shouldn't always have to bear that mantle either. The truly scary and negative idea is that gays *must* be shown to be "just like straights" or it's not a positive/responsible portrayal...

All that said, my first post was meant to be mostly in jest, I just didn't bother with the smiley.

Last edited by adamblast; 04-07-03 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-07-03, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by freedexter
No, that was called "Singled Out". DisMissed is the threesome date show where one guy/girl takes out two guys/girls and picks one in the end to be with.

It still airs on MTV.
ok then, if I remember right and grnated I may be wrong, Singled Out was the one with all gay ep that didn't air.

Personally, who cares.... Air them I say.