Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol - 4/1/2003

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who did you vote for?
Carmen Rasmusen
32.20%
Clay Aiken
33.90%
Joshua Gracin
5.08%
Kimberly Caldwell
10.17%
Kimberly Locke
11.86%
Rickey Smith
3.39%
Ruben Studdard
32.20%
Trenyce
5.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

American Idol - 4/1/2003

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-03, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with paleblue on Ruben. He sounds completely average. He doesn't sing very difficult songs and sounds like any other good singer when he sings them. He has absolutely no stage presence either, he stands in the same spot for the entire song!

When you think long term, which of these people would you actually want to buy a CD of and listen to a whole album of their music? I would have zero interest in listening to Ruben outside of this competition.
Old 04-01-03, 09:33 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm kinda bummed about this year's contestant. Sure some are talented but they aren't the whole package like last year's Kelly.

I listened to some clips from her album and it sounds amazing ! It's not some pop sh*t like her previous A Moment Like This/Before Your Love single, they took the time to write and produce excellent material and It's worth it.

I just don't see myself buying CDs from any of this year's contestants but on April 15th I'm buying Kelly Clarkson 'Thankful' for sure. If anyone wants to hear some clips ( not full songs ) go to promosquad.com.
Old 04-01-03, 09:57 PM
Cool New Member

Okay, I'm an American Idol addict, but I must admit that I'm almost always disappointed on Tuesday nights. There are definitely no "stars" this year, no one exciting.

I'm fairly certain that once this season ends, we'll never hear from any of these people again.

No wonder Simon seems to be in such a bad mood.

Speaking of Simon, although he's my favorite judge (the only judge actually), I'm getting really annoyed at his attempts to push Ruben down our throats.

And I'm with Clay: Randy & Simon are supposed to be experts on judging singing talent, yet they rarely agree. What does that tell us?

Oh... and my prediction: Ricky goes home this week. Talking back to Simon is almost always the kiss of death.

Last edited by MrHappyToes; 04-01-03 at 10:06 PM.
Old 04-01-03, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've decided that I want Carmen gone. Now that she has put extensions in her hair she looks like the former girlfriend, current *itch, I used to be involved with. I'd rather not see her another week. Sorry guys, but Carmen looked much cuter without the hair extensions.
Old 04-01-03, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

OK, not gonna review 'em all individually tonight, but here is my take:

Best: Rueben
Good: Carmen, Kim L (ugh), Clay, Trenyce

Bottom 3: Ricky, Joshua, Kim C

Gone: Josh (I wish) probably Ricky....
Old 04-01-03, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, Simon was furious tonight. Well I guess if I judged a competition with the singers singing Disco I would be too

Tonight I thought Carmen did the best. She is slowly becoming my favorite.
Old 04-01-03, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My prediction on who will be gone is Kim C.
Old 04-01-03, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I predict Ricky will be gone tomorrow.
Old 04-01-03, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Here was my problem with both Carmen and Trenyce's performances tonight, they both chose songs that were originally sung in the 70's and then redone and became hits in the 90's. Now my problem with both of them is that they decided to sing them in the same style as the artists who sang them in the 90's. In this case they would be Gloria Estefan and Whitney Houston. I think Carmen did worse than Trenyce but neither did as bad as Josh who I think will be booted this week.
Old 04-01-03, 11:07 PM

Kim L. tore it up, and that's hard for me to say.
Ruben was great too.
Clay is mono tone, use to like him now I don't.
Carmen and Trenyce were good and will be there next week.
Ricky and Kim C. bottom 3 but stay around.
Time for Josh to go!

My $.01

~LP
Old 04-02-03, 02:07 AM

Originally posted by movieking
I thought that the beginning of Kim L's It's Raining Men was the worst performance that I have heard in quite a while, but she definitely improved vastly by the end. Still not a good show though, with no one jumping out to me.
I absolutely agree! The first 3 or 4 lines before the song "kicks in" were HORRID, HORRID, HORRID!

I'm afraid Josh gave the weakest, most lackluster performance overall. "Celebration"?!?!?!? Just wasn't up for the song in spirit or energy. He should have chosen something else.
Old 04-02-03, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I voted for Treynce. Much better job than last week.

Clay is starting to sound the same. He sings well but his delivery is the same. Not the best. He needs to work on that. He could at least got into the song by moving around even if he can't shake his booty.

Ruben was just sort of ho-hum. Simon had a problem with Treynce for not being as good as Whitney or Chaka when Ruben didn't come close to Barry White or even Taylor Dayne.

Carmen did a pretty good job. Less of the thick country accent is better.

Kim C was OK with her hoarsey voice. Not great and not bad.

Kim L...what can I say. She's a decent imitator. Compare her version of "It's Raining Men" to Kelly Clarkson and you can tell who injected their uniqueness to the song and who tried to sound like the Weathergirls.

Josh, this should put you in the bottom 3 for a change. He may be a little under the weather but show some enthusiasm. Odd when a song like "Celebration" can put you to sleep.

Ricky, nice fro, man. I don't care for his voice much but he did a decent cover of "Let's Grove", a favorite of mine.

Quote of the night came from Simon who said that although Carmen was not the best singer, she was the most commercial. That puts this song in perspective.

Worst: Josh

My 3 bottom picks: Josh, Kim C, and Rickey

Who will get the boot? Kim C or Rickey
Josh has the marine factor working too heavily in his favor to get kicked off right now.

Last edited by big whoppa; 04-02-03 at 02:58 AM.
Old 04-02-03, 07:28 AM

Could someone clear this up for me, 'cause we're having a dispute here in my office?

Did Simon say:

1) Carmen does *not* have the best female voice *but* has the most commercial female voice; or

2) Carmen does have the best female voice *and* has the most commercial female voice?

Please let me know what you heard.
Old 04-02-03, 07:42 AM

Not the best voice among the women left. Most commercial (not voice specific).

That's what I heard.
Old 04-02-03, 07:43 AM

Originally posted by Laertes
Could someone clear this up for me, 'cause we're having a dispute here in my office?

Did Simon say:

1) Carmen does *not* have the best female voice *but* has the most commercial female voice; or

2) Carmen does have the best female voice *and* has the most commercial female voice?

Please let me know what you heard.
He said that she didn't have the best voice in the contest but is the most comercial.
Old 04-02-03, 07:56 AM

I thought he said: "Carmen is not the best female singer but she is the most commercial." I thought his reference to her being commercial was about her as a whole rather than just her voice being commercial.

Clay had the chance of a lifetime last night... he had a song that started out kinda' slow at first and then burst into a faster beat...
He came out and was doing his normal stuff that he always does and I thought he is going to bust out dancing when the song goes faster... But NOTHING changed. I immediately thought, DANG you blew it. The folks at DVDTalk wanted you to shake your groove thing. We know you can sing but dang'it it want some MCHammer performance out of you!

I am a Clay fan as we both are 49ers (reference to common alma matter: UNC Charlotte), but Clay had a chance to "boogie" and didn't. Overall the show stunk. I think the only highnote was Paula actually being a judge for a glimmer of a moment.
Old 04-02-03, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My rankings for last night's musical trainwreck:

Clay - the guy has a voice that raises the hairs on the back on my neck (in a good way). The song choice was good enough to fall into his range of singing while still being disco). Ruben would not dream of pulling off that last long note that Clay brought to the table last night.

Trenyce - good performance, vocals in good shape, though she seemed a little lost in the middle of the song in a few spots.

Ruben - again, my complaint with this guy is he's smooth in some notes, but scratchy in others. Also, did anyone else catch his oh so minor rendition of Fat B@stard's "Do you think I'm s@xy?" motions during the song?

Kim L - I liked Kelly Clarkson's rendition much better than Kim L's version, Kelly got more growl and range than Kim L, and it showed in this song.

Carmen - the prettiest contestant left, and if she'd leave the yodelling out of her long notes, she's be my dark horse pick. But she's got great potential upside (especially commercially because she can sing and looks damn good), and it pains me to watch Simon whore himself in order to promote her with his comments while denigrating the other contestants.

Rickey - he did the best he could to exploit his falsetto with a song with Phillip Baily vocals from EW&F. He did seem to run out of steam with the song, though.

Kim C - a one genre singer with no idea how to perform without her "rock" vocal style. Didn't love it, dawg.

Joshua - a bad night, he was a fish out of water tonight. Plus the song choice was really bad considering his other job (of being a marine).

My bottom 3 are: Josh, Kim C, Rickey.

I really do find Simon's agenda (of promoting Carmen and Ruben) rather troubling, and it's so blatantly apparent and appalling.
Old 04-02-03, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Josh was absolutely terrible. I really thought I was watching some best man at a wedding take the mike or something. It was just horrible.

And what was with the constant "Waiter, Check Please" hand motions throughout the song?

Clay disappointed me last night. His last note was stunning, but I think he chose a boring song that sounded too much like previous weeks. He needed to do a BeeGees or Andy Gibb number or something.

kim C. had a crappy outfit. Was she supposed to be a pirate or something? Her performance just bugged me. Her eyebrows still scare me.

I thought Kim L. was the best last night, surprisingly enough.

I liked Rickey's falsetto, but I don't think he'll last long in this competition.

Ruben-- good, but I think I am somewhat in the "big deal" camp.

Trenyce-- better than last week, but not as good as she has been. She reminded me of Praying Mantis again.

Carmen-- Cute, good singer. I think she'll go far.
Old 04-02-03, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts
With Corey kicked off, I dread what "filler" episode we're going to get with one less contestant and thus, one less finalist show. I'm hoping they don't do some kind of recap episode before the finale, like Fox did with Joe Millionaire.

It's funny how fortunes turn around. A few weeks ago, I thought Carmen would be the first one voted off, and now she's almost a favorite. I think her familiarity with last week's country theme, and the fun that she had with disco just might've saved her (and the fact that she wasn't able to yodel as much)

Really surprised by Paula's negative comments to Kim C. That might really kill her, as if even Paula thinks she wasn't good, what does that mean?

I think Paula did make a valid point later on, though... the whole show was going to sound like karaoke because it's disco, for crying out loud, and disco has less to do with vocals as it does with stage presence and flashiness (which was exemplified by the guest judge's retrospective). I mean, the vocals were so loud, they drowned out most of the contestants!

I think a better guest judge would've been one of the Village People. I bet 75 percent of the audience and contestants had no idea who that guy was.

And though I hate these theme shows, I can't wait for big band. Of course, I dread Burt night and the one where they sing songs from the upcoming AI album...
Old 04-02-03, 09:27 AM
Banned

[QUOTE]Originally posted by fujishig

And though I hate these theme shows, I can't wait for big band. Of course, I dread Burt night and the one where they sing songs from the upcoming AI album... [QUOTE]

The songs for the american album won't be performed since they have all been performed already. They took songs they performed during the wildcard show and the following shows. The CD is being released on April 22th I think and will feature only the final 10 ( possibly minus Corey ).

I won't be buying this CD but I'll sure buy Kelly Clarkson's CD on April 15th. Anyone else heard the clips from her album ? What do you think about it ?
Old 04-02-03, 09:33 AM
Banned

Another Kelly Clarkson update :P

Her first single from her album is officially Miss Independent which is awesome !
Old 04-02-03, 09:35 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by mcbg1
I won't be buying this CD but I'll sure buy Kelly Clarkson's CD on April 15th.
You will? What a shocker!
Old 04-02-03, 11:05 AM

Originally posted by mcbg1
[/b]I won't be buying this CD but I'll sure buy Kelly Clarkson's CD on April 15th. Anyone else heard the clips from her album ? What do you think about it ? [/B]
Every week you keep posting about Kelly Clarkson and her album and it is getting very repetitive. You are coming off like you are a plant from the studio who knows the album stinks and is trying to con us in believing it is a good album so we will run out and buy it on one of the dumbest days to release a CD, Tax Day.
Old 04-02-03, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I had the exact same reaction as last week.

Fave: Ruben. I buy CD's for what goes on in my ears, not my eyes. Having said that, I wouldn't buy a CD from any of these people. At least Ruben makes me smile... and I think that "scratch" in his voice is really cool.

Horrible again: Josh

Go away cutie-pie: Carmen. That voice doesn't grow on me.
Old 04-02-03, 11:52 AM

My rambling thoughts on last nights show:

Rickey- he is likeable and tries hard, but nothing special.
Carmen- she is cute, and did an OK job with a tough song.
Kim C- good stage presence, but I think she has a terrible voice.
Clay- weak performance. Somehow, he is annoying me more every week.
Treynece- bad outfit, blah performance. And thanks to a fellow dvdtalker, all I see now is an Antz character everytime I see her.
Ruben- good Barry White imitation.
Kim L- best performance last night- I like her voice.
Joshua- ugh. Nothin' like a Country Celebration.

Bottom 3 for me this week: Kim C, Joshua & Treynece.
Bottom 3 on the show: Kim C, Rickey, Treynece.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.