Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Simpsons Rant

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-03, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Simpsons Rant

I'm one of those folks who has always said that any new Simpsons is better than no Simpsons. At the same time I've been a realist and realize the show is not what it once once.

With that said, my local FOX station has started to play Season 3 episodes. I've been amazed at how much better those episodes are than the ones from the last few seasons. It's like the writers didn't miss an opportunity to be funny.

I didn't start this thread for those folks who think the Simpsons jumped the shark years ago to go off. I'm just wondering if people who basically still like the show feel the same way.
Old 03-28-03, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
The show plateaued at seasons 3-6, then dropped down a little at season's 7-9, and has dropped off a little more since then.

IOW, it's still good, it's just not great like it used to be. But, seriously, it was so good at one point that there is no way it could have even maintained that level of quality, much less gotten better.
Old 03-28-03, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Re: Simpsons Rant

Originally posted by madcougar

With that said, my local FOX station has started to play Season 3 episodes. I've been amazed at how much better those episodes are than the ones from the last few seasons. It's like the writers didn't miss an opportunity to be funny.

The DC station shows an hour block of Simpsons from 6-7 weeknights. They have not shown a episode prior to Season 9 for more than 6 months; it may even be as long as a year.
Old 03-28-03, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wb54 in baltimore plays the older episodes at 6 pm and are currently on season3 and are going in order.
Old 03-28-03, 04:30 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts
It's become inconsistent. You either get a hilarious episode or one where you won't laugh at all.
Old 03-28-03, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by MrX
It's become inconsistent. You either get a hilarious episode or one where you won't laugh at all.
I have yet to see an episode at which I don't laugh at all. Even the mediocre-poor ones have one or two great jokes.
Old 03-29-03, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I kinda gave up watching years ago, the first few seasons were excellent, but over the years I lost interest.
Old 03-29-03, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i agree that the show isn't as good now but it still ok. on the plus side though, when i have be rewatching more recent episodes on our local station here, they are funnier upon a second viewing then when i originally saw them.
Old 03-29-03, 10:33 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Here's my rant: we have been having this discussion over and over again for years. If you don't like the show, stop watching it. Problem solved.
Old 03-29-03, 11:37 AM

Groucho- I hear what you're saying. But while I still watch the show, the drop in quality is undeniable. Remember when you could flip on at 8 P.M. on Sunday night and now you're going to watch a classic? We're down to maybe 3 a year. I'm not rooting for the show to be cancelled, but I can't deny that they quality is down.

My theory has been that the show now focuses on situtions rather than the characters. Rather han tell a story about the family interacting, it's about building a wacky setting for them to be involved in (TONIGHT ON FOX- THE SIMPSONS GO TO JAPAN!).

You can't discount the death of Phil Hartman which took away two of the show's finest side character's (Troy McClure and Lionel Hutz). The voices they have employed since have not been as effective (I'm thinking of the woman who seems to play the generic female executive).

Everyone has their opinion as to when the show peaked, but I have no real gripes about the first nine seasons. Season's eleven and tweleve really do not appeal to me, but I felt they hit a good stride last season.

This season, for me, has been a bit disapointing. I recall Homer as a CEO, Skinner getting engaged, and the Halloween episodes were well done. There are still many more episodes to go before the end, hopefully we get a few more classics.
Old 03-29-03, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
Here's my rant: we have been having this discussion over and over again for years. If you don't like the show, stop watching it. Problem solved.

That is exactly what I have done. My rant is against the people who decide which ones to run in syndication locally. They have 2 a day. At least run 1 classic Simpsons each day.
Old 03-29-03, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
The problem is, he (and many others) want to watch, but they feel cheated when they do.

For example. I don't like Friends. But since I've never liked Friends, I don't go into Friends threads and spout off on why it sucks. I could care less what they do those characters. It's different for characters you really like.
Old 03-29-03, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Simpsons has too much tenure on TV for fans to do that, however. While I am not a regular viewer, I do try to catch a few episodes to see how the show is doing. Now, I did stop posting my feelings on the decline in popularity, but I still keep hoping the show will get good again.

CED'oh was a very good episode, worthy to be mentioned with the best from the past seasons, but I also notice that it lacked the one thing I have hated the most from the past few seasons of the Simpsons: Homer did not have an adventure with some stupid celebrity. I am all for celebrity guest voices, but in the past, they always played new characters in the Simpsons universe, whereas lately, they just play themselves and suddenly Simpsons has become like Scooby Doo meeting a celebrity each week. That premise gets old, and it doesn't work in the Simpsons, and I think the show could benefit if the writers could come up with more creative ways to integrate guest voices into the show, come up with more memorable characters for them to play, and add to the character of Sprinfield as a result.

Would Kelsey Grammer have been as memorable on the show had he just played himself rather than that clown character? "CED'oh" was a great episode, I feel, because the writers were able to focus on Sprinfield and the Simpsons and the characters and the city, and not the fact that WOW, Homer is meeting celebrity #432 this week.

For those of us who want this show to be good, and can see that it can be good, please don't ask us to not turn on the show again. If you feel that way, then you are the one writing off the show, not the fans who hope for more.
Old 03-29-03, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
I hope we will be getting more Simpson's DVD sets released soon, that way I can watch all my favorites over and over and over...

I stopped watching about 3 years ago, right about the time I started working nights...(connection maybe?...)
Old 03-30-03, 10:54 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
IS IT IN THE SMALLEST POSSIBILITY AT ALL THAT YOU PEOPLE ARE JUST EXPECTING INCREASINGLY MORE FROM WATCHING THE SIMPSONS FOR BETTER JOKES AND PLOTS THAN IT IS POSSIBLE FOR THE WRITERS TO ACTUALLY DELIVER?

CHEW ON THAT FOR AWHILE.

OH YEAH P.S., THE SHOWS ARE FREE!!!
Old 03-30-03, 11:09 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Old 03-31-03, 12:03 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Grouchzo
Defined: When used, it's usually used to emphasize or shout to the readers what the writer try to convey.